U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:43 PM

11 posts, read 15,207 times

Advertisements

Let me rephrase that question: why have the state stores spent all the time and money to "modernize" when it's obvious most drinkers in PA don't care how nice a state store is, they want a free choice? In the 70's, the stores went from having everything behind a counter to being self-service. Then in the 80's, they buried the "state store" name and replaced it with "Wine & Spirits". Then in the 90's, they started evolving into so-called "superstores", which is a RIDICULOUS name because NONE of the state stores are larger than 15,000 square feet. Most people in PA are lucky to live near a state store that's 10,000-12,000 square feet, and the WHOLESALE stores the PLCB runs are usually smaller than that! Total Wine stores in NJ, DE, and MD are usually 28,000-33,000 square feet, though to be fair, most have large beer sections, along with fine chocolates and "accessories" for alcoholic beverages.

Does the PLCB really think that the latest name change, starting in 2010, to "FINE Wine & GOOD Spirits" is really going to be noticed by people who don't forget how limited the operating hours of all the state stores are? Is having wooden fixtures and hanging light fixtures really going to make people forget how much a ripoff the state stores are? The PLCB had the nerve to waste a fortune on moving their barely five-year old store on Girard in Northern Liberties (North Philadelphia) to a new store a block away with the new bells and whistles, but the old store was perfectly good. And while the new store sits under a supermarket, it's very inconvenient to walk between the two stores.

There are over 100 liquor stores in a number of major US cities, such as Chicago, so why does the whole state of Pennsylvania only have between 600 and 700? Driving the extra three miles to the next-closest state store on a Friday night (when ALL of them are jam packed with crowds) in the Philly area is no fun, yet this act is necessitated quite often when one's nearest store inevitably fails to have what one wants.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 05:27 PM

9,918 posts, read 22,625,840 times
Because despite the fact that we elect them the general ASSembly doesn't actually do what the people want.

If people actually remembered that come next election, look out. But they won't. They disapprove of "the assembly" but they'll still vote their own idiot back in because of x, y and z BS reason. Which makes for nothing changing.

Same is true with congress at national level.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:05 PM

37,273 posts, read 66,850,622 times
Unions and other people protecting their turf by lining the pockets of the legislature.

Quote:
Then in the 90's, they started evolving into so-called "superstores", which is a RIDICULOUS name because NONE of the state stores are larger than 15,000 square feet.
None of them are "super", either. I find better beer and wine selections at Trader Joe's, and better selections of everything at Meijer in Michigan.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:10 PM

11 posts, read 15,207 times
I made a shocking discovery in West Chester this week: the Giant on 202, which as of recently sells beer (and not just O'Doul's next to the soda) has Seagram's Escapes Peach wine coolers for $5.49 a four pack, but the Wine & Spirits IN THE SAME SHOPPING CENTER has the exact same beverage for $6.99 a four pack! However, Giant loses points for not keeping it chilled, even though most of their beer is chilled, and the Wine & Spirits has it chilled and only chilled.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:22 PM

7,541 posts, read 9,257,540 times
Splitting up a valuable property like the State Store system will create a windfall for those who are able to capture the liquor licenses and choice storefronts for key locations. Also, the wholesale end of the business is pretty lucrative as well.

Since it is a one time opportunity, politicians on both sides of the aisle are interested in getting this big payday to their own particular friends.

Further, the unions are interested in getting their share of the pie here.

This factor of different factions all salivating over this money makes it very difficult to divvy up this bounty, and results in delay.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:03 AM

10 posts, read 10,940 times
A few corrections if I may. There is no PLCB store in PA over 11,000 sqft so I agree to call them superstores is wishful thinking at best. The last counter stores were closed in 2005 or 36 YEARS after the PLCB started to "modernize" to self service. The conversion to Fine Wine & Good Spirits stores is currently on a 80 year pace unless they close more stores then maybe 70 years. The PLCB had 692 stores in 2000 and has 600 now. Chicago has more then our entire state. $3.7 million was spent on an out of state consultant to come up with TableLeaf and Fine Wine & Good Spirits and the marketing plan (nice gig if you can get it).

Write your legislators and tell them you want the state out of the liquor business. We deserve better and should demand it. Washington state has more jobs, more convenience, more selection, more revenue and DUI is down over 9% since they privatized.

Privatization IS Modernization

Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 AM

4,268 posts, read 10,646,492 times
Personally I have more of a problem with how beer is sold in PA than wine and spirits. I didn't grow up with the go into a bar for a six pack thing but I did grow up in a state where liquor stores were separate and the PLCB stores are as good as any of them are that I see when I go back.

If our politicians would be intellectually honest enough to raise taxes to make up for the lost revenue I would agree in theory it's best for the state not to be in that business. However we don't run on good government theory especially in PA.

I did snicker a bit when I stopped on my way through at the state store in Jersey Shore and the clerk answered the phone while checking me out "Fine Wine and Good Spirits," but honestly the best stuff available in that town if privatized would be Mad Dog and Black Velvet.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:33 AM

10 posts, read 10,940 times
The entire non-tax revenue from the PLCB is less than 3/10ths of 1 percent of the budget. Making it up would pose no problem since private businesses would pay business taxes, owners and workers would pay income taxes, sales would increase so alcohol tax collections would increase and the citizens won't have to pay retirement benefits forever. The PLCB share of the pension shortage is $500 million and climbing.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:48 AM

10,105 posts, read 15,273,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Personally I have more of a problem with how beer is sold in PA than wine and spirits. I didn't grow up with the go into a bar for a six pack thing but I did grow up in a state where liquor stores were separate and the PLCB stores are as good as any of them are that I see when I go back.

If our politicians would be intellectually honest enough to raise taxes to make up for the lost revenue I would agree in theory it's best for the state not to be in that business. However we don't run on good government theory especially in PA.

I did snicker a bit when I stopped on my way through at the state store in Jersey Shore and the clerk answered the phone while checking me out "Fine Wine and Good Spirits," but honestly the best stuff available in that town if privatized would be Mad Dog and Black Velvet.
what state did you grow up in that wine is sold only in state liquor stores?

Old 09-10-2013, 08:54 AM

4,268 posts, read 10,646,492 times
I said "where liquor stores are separate" but an incorrect implication was assumed, they are privately owned. That's upstate NY (they have since relaxed a bit the wall of separation between wine and food).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania