Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,938 times

Advertisements

Hi! All,
We are searching for a vacation home in Pennsylvania. My family and I don't know much about areas in PA.. We only been to Poconos-camping for few days and it looks Ok. We visited East stroudsburg-while in poconos and the area looks ok no sure how safe it is though.. Our only and main concern is safety. Obviously we'll try to find an affordable beautiful home to relax and hopefully surrounded for lots and lots of trees.. like having neighbors few yards away.. Not sure which areas are really bad-crime related.. Can someone living in pa or who have knowledge of pa gives us an advice??.!!.. We want a 2nd home, safe for our family-including kids.. Thanks a lot for your time and knowledgeable advice..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 01:12 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,699 times
Default Not enough information

Why PA? Family? If so, where? It's a big state and very diverse depending on what area of the state you would find appealing. The 3 largest cities are Phila, Pittsburgh and Harrisburg/Lancaster/York areas. They are all very different from each other. Do you want to be near activities like shopping, dining, entertainment that a city would provide? Do you want to be near water, lake or river? How rural do you want to live? Are their cultural concerns? Your post as it stands is a hard one to answer.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:38 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
The 3 largest cities are Phila, Pittsburgh and Harrisburg/Lancaster/York areas. They are all very different from each other.
Allentown is the third largest city in PA

Old 09-20-2013, 08:31 PM

429 posts, read 719,522 times
Wink Pennsylvania has variety, that's for sure

Ginasol - Wow, where to buy is a tough question! A purchase is a serious matter.

Tell you what: how about you rent in an area that appeals to you and if you LOVE it to bits then buy a property there. Otherwise keep moving til you get the perfect spot - close to home but not TOO close, hilly but not TOO hilly, quiet but not TOO quiet, just the right amount of amenities. Check out the photo tour of Renovo, PA... Now THAT'S secluded.

Pennsylvania is dense, not so dense, rural, and back-of-beyond.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 1,938 times
Thank you all for your responses... We live in NY so we'd like to buy a vacation home in PA.. or maybe Upstate NY... We're still undecided but have already checked few properties near the poconos area- East Stroudsburgh.. the area seems ok.. Not very much interested in shopping, dining and that kind of city entertainment.. we love nature and basically we'd love to be surrounded by mountain and trees.. fresh air and if its near a river thats just a bonus.. We want a home to relax and charge batteries for work.. no need to have the fun stuff-activities nearby since we can always drive around.. Like I've said.. we just want a a peaceful, safe area to relax and come on wkends.. I'm concerned about the poconos area since Ive been told crime is high there.. Allentown is very much city type-no interested... Nature views its a most...

Thanks again..

Old 09-21-2013, 05:54 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginasol View Post
Thank you all for your responses... We live in NY so we'd like to buy a vacation home in PA.. or maybe Upstate NY... We're still undecided but have already checked few properties near the Poconos area- East Stroudsburg.. the area seems OK.. Not very much interested in shopping, dining and that kind of city entertainment.. we love nature and basically we'd love to be surrounded by mountain and trees.. fresh air and if its near a river that's just a bonus.. We want a home to relax and charge batteries for work.. no need to have the fun stuff-activities nearby since we can always drive around.. Like I've said.. we just want a a peaceful, safe area to relax and come on weekends.. I'm concerned about the Poconos area since Ive been told crime is high there.. Allentown is very much city type-no interested... Nature views its a most...

Thanks again..

Do you mean you live in New York City? The Poconos sound like they would meet your wants. I would sugest posting in the NEPA forum, or I can move this there if you would like.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania