Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 03:40 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

I know that Philly is not the only beggar - Harrisburg and Pittsburg also have their hand out.
mostly it's the rural areas and nepa that are bleeding the state dry
this map of the percentage of people in metros receiving snap benefits is interesting

The Metros That Sorely Need the U.S. Government to Keep Paying Its Bills - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities

it's only metros so it doesn't include a lot of dying coal towns in small areas that are also likely dragging the state down but it's telling that the area's with the highest proportion (and proportion is really the most important thing) is NEPA and the area of PA near youngstown OH. the idea that Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are the ones bleeding the state dry is rural fantasy. yes, Philadelphia, the state's only city that is also coterminus with its county, receives state dollars but the collar counties pay far more than they receive and subsidize much of the rest of the state not named Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 05:10 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Pman,

Spend 100,000 thousand miles a year traveling thought the country and look at how other states address their problems. I know that you cannot see their balance sheet from the road. But; there are many states that appear to do a better job and are more commuter friendly. I acknowledge that some areas of PA do appear to do a better job than other areas of our State. But, the overall impression of the work we do, is sloppy at the best in some areas of our State.

Money is tight - no matter whether you are talking about our metro areas or rural areas. Overall; the general population has not experienced true gains over the cost of living for many years. Here, if you want to look at graphs and historical data, try this one: http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/library/chart-graph/historical-comparison-public-and-private-sector-compensation-levels. Then come back and tell us how you need more money to do less! Fix the system and then ask for more funds.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:34 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
mostly it's the rural areas and nepa that are bleeding the state dry
this map of the percentage of people in metros receiving snap benefits is interesting

The Metros That Sorely Need the U.S. Government to Keep Paying Its Bills - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities

it's only metros so it doesn't include a lot of dying coal towns in small areas that are also likely dragging the state down but it's telling that the area's with the highest proportion (and proportion is really the most important thing) is NEPA and the area of PA near youngstown OH. the idea that Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are the ones bleeding the state dry is rural fantasy. yes, Philadelphia, the state's only city that is also coterminus with its county, receives state dollars but the collar counties pay far more than they receive and subsidize much of the rest of the state not named Pittsburgh.
That's because deadbeats from Philly, NYC, and northern NJ moved there (NEPA) because, apparently, the welfare rolls hadn't been maxed. The murder rate has increased, too.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's because deadbeats from Philly, NYC, and northern NJ moved there (NEPA) because, apparently, the welfare rolls hadn't been maxed. The murder rate has increased, too.
no, it's because the industries in NEPA died leaving behind an economically stagnant area that is unable to generate enough wealth to feed its declining population. This has been going on for decades long before the migration from NYC as people fled rising prices (and ftr, people complained in the lehigh valley but the stats indicate there was little more than a temporary spike in crime since crime is now below what it was prior to this migration...that's what you would expect with a sudden movement of people...a spike in crime that settles down as they become established and find work). I absolutely love the mental gymnastics you people do to blame Philadelphia for your problems. Still, if you had it together there would be a lot less of your young people moving to Philly and NY.

eta: perhaps most interestingly is that the places that rail against "subsidization" are the very regions that engage in largest proportion of it (I noted that butler, pa-home of metcalfe, has a high proportion of people using snap)

Last edited by pman; 10-17-2013 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-17-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Spend 100,000 thousand miles a year traveling thought the country and look at how other states address their problems. I know that you cannot see their balance sheet from the road. But; there are many states that appear to do a better job and are more commuter friendly. I acknowledge that some areas of PA do appear to do a better job than other areas of our State. But, the overall impression of the work we do, is sloppy at the best in some areas of our State.
I think there's a lot of merit in your statement that it took a long time just to clean up ridge's mess, at least as it relates to penndot. I also don't doubt that you are right that there is plenty that could be improved though I suspect that is only part of the solution. NJ spends a lot of money on administration and they have high taxes as well. I'm not familiar enough with TB or, perhaps, VA to know whether they get more bang for their buck. It is my understanding that one of the reasons we have so many deficient bridges is we simply have more bridges to start with.

Money is tight - no matter whether you are talking about our metro areas or rural areas. Overall; the general population has not experienced true gains over the cost of living for many years. Here, if you want to look at graphs and historical data, try this one: http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/library/chart-graph/historical-comparison-public-and-private-sector-compensation-levels. Then come back and tell us how you need more money to do less! Fix the system and then ask for more funds.[/quote]
thanks, that is a good graph. It's also why tolling is a good solution as it pairs usage with maintenance and should free the entity performing the maintenance from the vagaries of politics that have given us the worthless shuster highway while not addressing more pressing issues.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I think there's a lot of merit in your statement that it took a long time just to clean up ridge's mess, at least as it relates to penndot. I also don't doubt that you are right that there is plenty that could be improved though I suspect that is only part of the solution. NJ spends a lot of money on administration and they have high taxes as well. I'm not familiar enough with TB or, perhaps, VA to know whether they get more bang for their buck. It is my understanding that one of the reasons we have so many deficient bridges is we simply have more bridges to start with.

Money is tight - no matter whether you are talking about our metro areas or rural areas. Overall; the general population has not experienced true gains over the cost of living for many years. Here, if you want to look at graphs and historical data, try this one: http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/library/chart-graph/historical-comparison-public-and-private-sector-compensation-levels. Then come back and tell us how you need more money to do less! Fix the system and then ask for more funds.
thanks, that is a good graph. It's also why tolling is a good solution as it pairs usage with maintenance and should free the entity performing the maintenance from the vagaries of politics that have given us the worthless shuster highway while not addressing more pressing issues.[/quote]

This is just happening today: Chinese ratings agency downgrades U.S. - chicagotribune.com. That is why we cannot afford uncontrolled government spending. It makes our dollars worth less. We need to learn proficiency. That can be a painful word. It is a standard requirement for the private sector today.

We have to learn to build better with less. We have to learn how to work smarter and quicker. We should never sit back on past achievements. We should strive to be the best.

I also think that we should agree to disagree. I will always think of tolls as taxes. You think of them as usage fees.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:

This is just happening today: Chinese ratings agency downgrades U.S. - chicagotribune.com. That is why we cannot afford uncontrolled government spending. It makes our dollars worth less. We need to learn proficiency. That can be a painful word. It is a standard requirement for the private sector today.

We have to learn to build better with less. We have to learn how to work smarter and quicker. We should never sit back on past achievements. We should strive to be the best.

I also think that we should agree to disagree. I will always think of tolls as taxes. You think of them as usage fees.
all the more reason to use tolls; after all, we don't pay sales tax and pick up our food at the grocery store as part of our taxes.
you talk about the private sector yet oppose the introduction of the market's most effective mechanism, pricing. you should open your mind, tolls are prices. it's the price of using the road. nowhere have I supported uncontrolled government spending.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
all the more reason to use tolls; after all, we don't pay sales tax and pick up our food at the grocery store as part of our taxes.
you talk about the private sector yet oppose the introduction of the market's most effective mechanism, pricing. you should open your mind, tolls are prices. it's the price of using the road. nowhere have I supported uncontrolled government spending.
Without controls on efficiency; tolls would support uncontrolled government spending. I still disagree that they are just 'user fees'. Everybody in this State and nation pays for the increased price of shipping - the cost are passed along or the companies go out of business. You might live in Philly; but tolls on I-80 could still be reflected when you buy anything from any store.

Our highways keep business thriving. Businesses pay taxes which can be used to maintain our roads. Without those businesses; there is less money to support government - one vicious cycle! Government has to relearn how to work with (facilitate) the private sector.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Without controls on efficiency; tolls would support uncontrolled government spending. I still disagree that they are just 'user fees'. Everybody in this State and nation pays for the increased price of shipping - the cost are passed along or the companies go out of business. You might live in Philly; but tolls on I-80 could still be reflected when you buy anything from any store.
Our highways keep business thriving. Businesses pay taxes which can be used to maintain our roads. Without those businesses; there is less money to support government - one vicious cycle! Government has to relearn how to work with (facilitate) the private sector.
how would tolls support uncontrolled government spending provided you dedicate the revenue to maintenance and capital expenditures. if anything, it does the opposite. fuel taxes support irrational government spending based on political power rather than need. if everyone in the nation pays via increased shipping then they are being subsidized unnecessarily today and would now be paying their share. I fail to see how subsidizing shipping versus a locally produced product makes any sense. highways don't keep businesses thriving in and of themselves, transportation does. there's a reason shippers choose rail over "free" highways for long haul distances. anything shipped by rail would not see a price increase due to the introduction of tolls. perhaps what you are afraid of is that businesses won't choose 80 if they're required to pay for their usage of the road. businesses will exist and pay taxes whether highways are tolled or not. if you live in an urban area it is more likely the roads will finally have the capital they need.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:57 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
no, it's because the industries in NEPA died leaving behind an economically stagnant area that is unable to generate enough wealth to feed its declining population. This has been going on for decades long before the migration from NYC as people fled rising prices (and ftr, people complained in the lehigh valley but the stats indicate there was little more than a temporary spike in crime since crime is now below what it was prior to this migration...that's what you would expect with a sudden movement of people...a spike in crime that settles down as they become established and find work). I absolutely love the mental gymnastics you people do to blame Philadelphia for your problems. Still, if you had it together there would be a lot less of your young people moving to Philly and NY.

eta: perhaps most interestingly is that the places that rail against "subsidization" are the very regions that engage in largest proportion of it (I noted that butler, pa-home of metcalfe, has a high proportion of people using snap)
I'm not you people. I grew up in Wilkes-Barre, still have friends and family there and lived in the Philly Metro (among other places) for fifteen years.

Yes, the area has been in decline for years. And, yes, in recent years the Wyoming Valley has been favored by welfare recipients as a terrific place to move and call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania