Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:09 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Your above statement is incorrect and Erie county, which is in the western portion of PA, is 55% democrat in terms of registered voters and only 33% republican (the rest of the voters are independent). The city of Erie itself is even more "blue" as you call it than the county. Before you make blanket statements about PA maybe you should actually research these things a little better.
Yes, of course, I was supposed to highlight the one f-ing exception in Western PA amidst an ever-growing sea of red.

Pennsylvania Election Results 2012 - Map, County Results, Live Updates - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Yeah, it's because the two states have similar terrain and a history of coal mining. Fayette County is often considered to have the worst quality of life in Pennsylvania, but it's paradise compared to eastern Kentucky. For example, here's a map of median household income by ZIP code in the Appalachian Mountains
No, that's not why people call it that. When people say "Pennsyltucky," they are referring to James Carville's statement that "Pennsylvania is Alabama without the Blacks." That's what they mean. They're talking about the cultural dynamics of the rural parts of the state (guns, NASCAR, religion, etc.) rather than the topography or industry.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I agree that the GOP (practically everywhere) has gotten more conservative, although part of that is former "RINOs" that have left the party to become Independents or even Democrats (remember our old pal Arlen Specter)?
Here's the rub. The data shows that more Pennsylvanians consider themselves "conservative" than in the past two decades. So even if Republicans defect to the Democratic Party (or become Independents), that still doesn't explain why more people are identifying as conservatives. You'd think that the numbers would remain the same (or even decline according to your theory), but that's not what's happened. We've seen the opposite trend.

The Political Express – Are Pennsylvania voters becoming more conservative?

Quote:
Whatever the causes of the shift in expressed ideology, the result is consequential. There is widespread consensus among academics that a state’s ideological composition relates to state-level policies. One need only look at Pennsylvania and the recent changes in state policy introduced by Governor Corbett for confirmation of this fact. As Pennsylvania voters have become more conservative so have the state’s policies.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:21 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No, that's not why people call it that. When people say "Pennsyltucky," they are referring to James Carville's statement that "Pennsylvania is Alabama without the Blacks." That's what they mean. They're talking about the cultural dynamics of the rural parts of the state (guns, NASCAR, religion, etc.) rather than the topography or industry.
Then I'd imagine nearly any state could be called "......tucky".
Not that I care very much but, you are going out of your way to prove PA is this sort of redneck haven. Weird.

Last edited by Sayid Linus; 10-14-2013 at 07:51 AM..

Old 10-14-2013, 07:29 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
Quote:
Yes, of course, I was supposed to highlight the one f-ing exception in Western PA amidst an ever-growing sea of red.

Pennsylvania Election Results 2012 - Map, County Results, Live Updates - POLITICO.com
You do realize that Erie and Pittsburgh are the population centers of western PA and they are both "blue" right?

Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Yeah, it's because the two states have similar terrain and a history of coal mining. Fayette County is often considered to have the worst quality of life in Pennsylvania, but it's paradise compared to eastern Kentucky. For example, here's a map of median household income by ZIP code in the Appalachian Mountains:

I've outlined Pennsylvania for everybody's convenience. Notice the lack of extreme poverty in Pennsylvania, and the abundance of extreme poverty in Kentucky. And this is just one indicator in which rural Pennsylvania comes out well ahead of the other regions of the country that it's all too often compared to. If people actually knew the differences, they'd stop making the comparisons because they'd realize how ignorant they look.
The map is interesting but does not tell the whole story IMHO. The irreducible cost of living close to the edge in a rural area in, say, western NY and to some extent PA is also higher due to higher property tax burden and higher home heating costs. Comparatively tougher rules concerning on-site sewage disposal and vehicle inspections in PA hit hard close to the edge as well. The net visible result does not differ as much as one might think by looking at this map.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:07 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
Quote:
Also, nobody bothered to address the question from the article I posted.

NAFTA, perhaps?
Wedge social issues have been wielded very well to separate rural and white ethnic voters from what some may view as their class interests.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
Then I'd imagine nearly any state could be called "......tucky".
No that I care very much but, you are going out of your way to prove PA is this sort of redneck haven. Weird.
Umm...not sure where you get that from. I feel like this website has a very liberal slant and that many of you find the notion of the state being socially conservative offensive (and yes, your state is socially conservative when both Senators, including your Democratic senator, oppose abortion).

My point was simply the following: social conservatives are not some tiny, vocal minority in the state. There's a tendency on the part of C-D liberals to minimize the conservative vote for whatever reason. But the polling data shows that the state is actually more socially conservative than some traditionally Republican leaning states (VA, CO, IA). And that's quite remarkable, imo, considering that the state has two of the largest metro areas in the US (Philadelphia is the 7th largest and Pittsburgh is the 23rd largest).

And to reiterate my earlier point, these socially conservative voters enabled George W. Bush to be competitive in the state despite it having two large Democratic strongholds. So if you think they're a tiny minority, then you are clearly delusional. If they were a tiny minority, then Pennsylvania would have two liberal Democratic Senators like New York (or even Michigan) rather than a socially conservative Democrat and a Republican.

Now if you'd like to offer some exit polling or academic literature or something, please post it. I really like that stuff.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Umm...not sure where you get that from. I feel like this website has a very liberal slant and that many of you find the notion of the state being socially conservative offensive (and yes, your state is socially conservative when both Senators, including your Democratic senator, oppose abortion).

My point was simply the following: social conservatives are not some tiny, vocal minority in the state. There's a tendency on the part of C-D liberals to minimize the conservative vote for whatever reason. But the polling data shows that the state is actually more socially conservative than some traditionally Republican leaning states (VA, CO, IA). And that's quite remarkable, imo, considering that the state has two of the largest metro areas in the US (Philadelphia is the 7th largest and Pittsburgh is the 23rd largest).

And to reiterate my earlier point, these socially conservative voters enabled George W. Bush to be competitive in the state despite it having two large Democratic strongholds. So if you think they're a tiny minority, then you are clearly delusional. If they were a tiny minority, then Pennsylvania would have two liberal Democratic Senators like New York (or even Michigan) rather than a socially conservative Democrat and a Republican.

Now if you'd like to offer some exit polling or academic literature or something, please post it. I really like that stuff.
Alabama, North Dakota, Wyoming Most Conservative States

Old 10-14-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:

Obama won PA by a wider margin than did Bush. That doesn't say (to me) that the state is becoming more conservative. If it is then a lot of these conservative types stayed home and weren't too concerned with the election of a (perceived) liberal. I know SE PA is where the majority of blue votes come from, but it really only makes up 1/3 of the states population. So surely there are enough potential voters out there to counter the democrats winning the white house in the last almost three decades.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania