Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 04:29 PM

458 posts, read 656,830 times

Advertisements

I'm a veteran visitor to Wellsboro, although we haven't been in town since February 2009. I know a lot has changed with the Oil industry coming to town, and I follow the Wellsoboro Gazettee on Facebook and read a lot about what's going on in town and in Tioga County.

I used to stay at the Canyon motel in the 90's and early 2k's. We since have taken to staying at bed and breakfasts, but the Inn on the Green wants 200 a night for rally weekend. The Canyon used to be a cozy, affordable place to stay. If you live in the area, does it still have this reputation? Any advice or anything to look for/beware of when visiting? Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 09:19 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
The reviews on Trip Advisor for the Canyon Motel are not very favorable. Unfortunately, the motels and hotels in and around Wellsboro jack up their rates for the Susquehannock Rally, which are already at high levels due to the influx of gas field workers. If you're looking for a cheaper price, you might consider staying in Coudersport or around Gang Mills, NY.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,903 times
I saw your post as it was captured in my Google Alerts. I'm the social media and web manager for STPR. May I recommend you contact Julie at the Wellsboro Chamber of Commerce. She is a member of the event's organizing committee and does a wonderful job helping competitors, volunteers, crews and fans find appropriate lodging. The Chamber's website is Home - Wellsboro Area Chamber of Commerce | PA and there you'll find the telephone number. I live in California now and have stayed at the Sherwood Inn and although the rooms are a bit small, they are clean. There's free WiFi too. The staff is amazingly helpful. I believe our room (double) is about $85/night with taxes. I will add the caveat, however, that I reserve the room for the following year when I book for the upcoming (e.g. when I checked in May 2013, I booked for May 2014). Best of luck!! -- MaryAnne

Old 11-17-2013, 07:24 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPANative View Post
I used to stay at the Canyon motel in the 90's and early 2k's. We since have taken to staying at bed and breakfasts, but the Inn on the Green wants 200 a night for rally weekend. The Canyon used to be a cozy, affordable place to stay. If you live in the area, does it still have this reputation? Any advice or anything to look for/beware of when visiting? Thanks for any feedback!
Do you mean the Canyon Motel on Route 6 just up the street from the Diner?

Not this year, but up until around 2012 had a locals only gym membership. I think it's fine for what it is.

The Canyon had some issues for a while as the previous owners went bankrupt in late 2008(right at the wrong time as the gas boom just kicked off). The bank had to come in and take it over and run it. I believe a family has bought it and runs it now. I know they also went in and renovated the rooms.

Just so you know the Penn Wells Motel(not the hotel) had a $4 million new wing put on to cater to the business crowd and more upscale travelers looking for suites and nicer rooms. Hampton Inn also has opened up in Mansfield as well as the Microtel, both sizable hotels.

The gas boom is over. The industry is still here and they are doing work to maintain current wells and drill a few new ones, but the boom days are long gone. It's not hugely noticeable now unless you purposefully look for it.

STPR is a great weekend. Thousands of people in town. For a few years now the rally has been based at the county fairgrounds between Wellsboro and Mansfield. It's also a 2 day rally. At the fairgrounds Friday and Saturday night there is a "Super Special" on a dirt course set up and can be viewed from the grandstands. I think this year it pulled several thousand spectators. If you want to view the stages in the forest there is a spectator guide available detailing all the info. In addition in recent years for $50 a day they have a VIP pass in which you get bus transportation out to a private viewing area on the stages. From all reports that's a good deal.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MShults View Post
I saw your post as it was captured in my Google Alerts. I'm the social media and web manager for STPR. May I recommend you contact Julie at the Wellsboro Chamber of Commerce. She is a member of the event's organizing committee and does a wonderful job helping competitors, volunteers, crews and fans find appropriate lodging. The Chamber's website is Home - Wellsboro Area Chamber of Commerce | PA and there you'll find the telephone number. I live in California now and have stayed at the Sherwood Inn and although the rooms are a bit small, they are clean. There's free WiFi too. The staff is amazingly helpful. I believe our room (double) is about $85/night with taxes. I will add the caveat, however, that I reserve the room for the following year when I book for the upcoming (e.g. when I checked in May 2013, I booked for May 2014). Best of luck!! -- MaryAnne
Hi MaryAnne, do you handle the STPR Facebook page? You and I may have communicated! I've stayed there in the past, and yeah the rooms are small, and I'm actually getting it for 75 dollars a night, so it doesn't sound to bad. I'll still give the chamber a call. Thanks!

Old 11-18-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The reviews on Trip Advisor for the Canyon Motel are not very favorable. Unfortunately, the motels and hotels in and around Wellsboro jack up their rates for the Susquehannock Rally, which are already at high levels due to the influx of gas field workers. If you're looking for a cheaper price, you might consider staying in Coudersport or around Gang Mills, NY.
I thought about staying out of town, but I want to be around the park when the cars line up in the morning. I don't want to have to drive in to town and fight for a parking spot.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Do you mean the Canyon Motel on Route 6 just up the street from the Diner?

Not this year, but up until around 2012 had a locals only gym membership. I think it's fine for what it is.

The Canyon had some issues for a while as the previous owners went bankrupt in late 2008(right at the wrong time as the gas boom just kicked off). The bank had to come in and take it over and run it. I believe a family has bought it and runs it now. I know they also went in and renovated the rooms.

Just so you know the Penn Wells Motel(not the hotel) had a $4 million new wing put on to cater to the business crowd and more upscale travelers looking for suites and nicer rooms. Hampton Inn also has opened up in Mansfield as well as the Microtel, both sizable hotels.

The gas boom is over. The industry is still here and they are doing work to maintain current wells and drill a few new ones, but the boom days are long gone. It's not hugely noticeable now unless you purposefully look for it.

STPR is a great weekend. Thousands of people in town. For a few years now the rally has been based at the county fairgrounds between Wellsboro and Mansfield. It's also a 2 day rally. At the fairgrounds Friday and Saturday night there is a "Super Special" on a dirt course set up and can be viewed from the grandstands. I think this year it pulled several thousand spectators. If you want to view the stages in the forest there is a spectator guide available detailing all the info. In addition in recent years for $50 a day they have a VIP pass in which you get bus transportation out to a private viewing area on the stages. From all reports that's a good deal.
I am glad for your response, I have read many of your comments regarding the area. As I said, I'm a veteran visitor of Wellsboro. Lots of great memories there. The rally is the one thing I've never seen, and I've become a huge fan of Rally America, and can't wait for the race.

I read on STPR's Facebook page about the VIP pass and will be looking in to that as the race comes closer. I'm most looking forward to the "Parc Expose" and getting some good shots of my favorite racer, Ken Block, flying through the woods.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:27 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPANative View Post
I am glad for your response, I have read many of your comments regarding the area. As I said, I'm a veteran visitor of Wellsboro. Lots of great memories there. The rally is the one thing I've never seen, and I've become a huge fan of Rally America, and can't wait for the race.

I read on STPR's Facebook page about the VIP pass and will be looking in to that as the race comes closer. I'm most looking forward to the "Parc Expose" and getting some good shots of my favorite racer, Ken Block, flying through the woods.
You'll have a lot of fun. It's different than other motorsports as the stages run on closed public and private roads. It's a great atmosphere and lots of people in town.

The stages on Friday afternoon are on private land owned by Waste Management and you'll need the VIP pass to see those stages. The Saturday stages are run on forestry roads north of Wellsboro and over on the west side of the canyon. Each night of course is the "Super Special" at the fairgrounds where the competitors run a mini stage about a mile in length and that way a big crowd can see them in action. Entry for that is $5 and it helps put money into the kitty for the rally organizers to keep the rally going. Last year I thought was the biggest crowd ever, just about standing room only.

On both of these days, they are full schedules so accommodations are less important because you will not be in your room much, unless you want to be. Certainly being in town helps because you can walk down to the Parc Expose in the mornings and to all the restaurants.

Weather is highly variable at that time of year as the weather starts to creep into summer. I have seen everything from 50's and rainy to mid 90's, hot and humid on rally weekend. You'll be in the elements and depends on the year, but sometimes the bugs can be a pain the woods, so be prepared.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
You'll have a lot of fun. It's different than other motorsports as the stages run on closed public and private roads. It's a great atmosphere and lots of people in town.

The stages on Friday afternoon are on private land owned by Waste Management and you'll need the VIP pass to see those stages. The Saturday stages are run on forestry roads north of Wellsboro and over on the west side of the canyon. Each night of course is the "Super Special" at the fairgrounds where the competitors run a mini stage about a mile in length and that way a big crowd can see them in action. Entry for that is $5 and it helps put money into the kitty for the rally organizers to keep the rally going. Last year I thought was the biggest crowd ever, just about standing room only.

On both of these days, they are full schedules so accommodations are less important because you will not be in your room much, unless you want to be. Certainly being in town helps because you can walk down to the Parc Expose in the mornings and to all the restaurants.

Weather is highly variable at that time of year as the weather starts to creep into summer. I have seen everything from 50's and rainy to mid 90's, hot and humid on rally weekend. You'll be in the elements and depends on the year, but sometimes the bugs can be a pain the woods, so be prepared.
Thanks again for all the info. I'm a dyed in the wool rally fan, so I'm familiar with how the races work. I'll be happy to see the Steak House and Timeless Destinations, lots of great memories there! We started our honeymoon in Wellsboro and I'll never forget, an elderly couple saw us and bought us drinks for the evening.

I wanted to stay at Inn on the Green, because we've stayed there a number of times, but they want 199.99 a night for Rally weekend. I've also thought about just coming up for a day. If I get that VIP pass for the Waste Management viewing, do you feel it is better viewing the race there then the Saturday stages in the Susquehannock forest?

Old 11-21-2013, 10:21 AM

And woke up yesterday to see the rally has been changed to the 30-31 of May because the 6th and 7th of June conflict with the X Games in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania