U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 06:40 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,435,051 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just got back last night from PA!
We found a wonderful home on 10 acres just north of Scranton. It is in Auburn Township in Susquehanna County. It's on the borderline of Wyoming County. It is so beautiful up there. The Endless Mountains are gorgeous!

We won't be far at all from Scranton and Tunkhannock.

Hey SWB, where exactly is the super Wallmart and Home Depot in Tunkhannock, and about how long does it take to get to the major stores all around the Meshoppen/Auburn Township area??
We saw the hospital on Rt. 6 and many nice little stores. Tioga Street in Tunkhannock is lovely. We also saw alot of the homes that you photographed.

I am now going back to the thread with the pictures!

I am so excited
I also will be posting some photos with the new home soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 12:03 PM

84 posts, read 304,611 times
Congratulations bamboosmom. I am glad you found what you were looking for.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:40 PM

Default You have been so helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensypat View Post
Congratulations bamboosmom. I am glad you found what you were looking for.
Thank you Pat for all your help!

Old 10-18-2006, 04:59 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,933,785 times
Default Brrrr.

Wishing the best of luck from Florida. Born and raised in PA. Was there for 54 years. Grease up that snow shovel!!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:00 PM

I am ready to shovel away!

We changed plans now. We are going to build the new home in Pike County!!!!! We had two choices and we are going to build!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:15 PM

32,160 posts, read 74,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post

My husband and I just got back last night from PA!
We found a wonderful home on 10 acres just north of Scranton. It is in Auburn Township in Susquehanna County. It's on the borderline of Wyoming County. It is so beautiful up there. The Endless Mountains are gorgeous!

We won't be far at all from Scranton and Tunkhannock.

Hey SWB, where exactly is the super Wallmart and Home Depot in Tunkhannock, and about how long does it take to get to the major stores all around the Meshoppen/Auburn Township area??
We saw the hospital on Rt. 6 and many nice little stores. Tioga Street in Tunkhannock is lovely. We also saw alot of the homes that you photographed.

I am now going back to the thread with the pictures!

I am so excited
I also will be posting some photos with the new home soon.

Hey there Rosanna! CONGRATULATIONS! I've been wondering where you wandered off too; I was worried that you may have become stuck in the Bermuda Triangle or something! LOL! I've only been to Auburn once, but I remember it being full of nothing but wide open spaces and rolling farmlands amid thick woods; it's really quite the wonderful pastoral setting.

The Auburn/Meshoppen area is only about 15 to 20 minutes away from Tunkhannock, and the Wal-Mart in Tunkhannock is just across the Route 29 Bridge in Eaton Township. Tunkhannock also has a Perkins at the Shadowbrook Resort, just east of town along Route 6, a Burger King near the Wal-Mart, a few hardware stores, and a few other conveniences here and there. There isn't a Home Depot or Lowe's in Tunkhannock (yet); the nearest home improvement stores to you would be in either Scranton or Wilkes-Barre, both of which are about 35 minutes from Tunkhannock and just under an hour away from you. The haul to the major shopping areas in Scranton and Wilkes-Barre is going to be a rough one during the winter, as you mostly have to head down hilly terrain into the valleys; I'd recommend having a shopping list ready for everything you'll need from all the stores and making a monthly pilgrimage to the shopping areas.

I'm just a tad confused though; you're purchasing a home in Auburn, yet you're building a home in Pike County? The drive between Auburn and the Lake Wallenpaupack area is quite a drive (probably about 90 minutes), so it may be difficult for you to keep an eye on the daily progress of your new home as it is being built. I do wish you the best of luck though, and I've just finished assembling your little package; I'll be mailing it out on Friday! (Just PM me to let me know if you'll still be living in FL next week or in your new home in Auburn).

I'm very happy for you! Congratulations! P.S. Snow flurries are in the forecast for next week, and I can recall wearing SNOW BOOTS trick-or-treating growing up, so be prepared! LOL!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:22 PM

Hey Paul!
We had an offer to purchase on the home in Auburn Twp. off rt. 267 but we decided to back out of that deal. The bank wants to start a bidding war on the home and we don't want to play that game.
We had been planning on the modular home for months and months.
We went up to see property last week and just got back. We saw the resale which, btw is a forclosure and put in that offer but the bank is jerking us around.

We picked out a lot also as a backup and then we would build the new home.
Glad we had that backup!!!!
We will be in Pike County right near Lake Wallenpaupack!!!!!!!!
I am very excited about the new home. The other home would have been an investment and a flip home eventually. I hope I am making this easy to understand LOL

We will build the new home and then buy homes to flip in the future. There are tons of possibilities in Wayne and Pike Counties.

Ok, I will wait for your package! I still will be interested in Tunkhannock and the surrounding areas for future flip homes!!!!

PS I am going to be in Tink-Wig on Williams Road. If anybody will need quality daycare for their infants, I will be available around March!!!!!!!!

We will be right near Woodloch Springs.

PS...Paul, I saw Shadowbrook and boy it is nice!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:34 PM

32,160 posts, read 74,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
Hey Paul!
We had an offer to purchase on the home in Auburn Twp. off rt. 267 but we decided to back out of that deal. The bank wants to start a bidding war on the home and we don't want to play that game.
We had been planning on the modular home for months and months.
We went up to see property last week and just got back. We saw the resale which, btw is a forclosure and put in that offer but the bank is jerking us around.

We picked out a lot also as a backup and then we would build the new home.
Glad we had that backup!!!!
We will be in Pike County right near Lake Wallenpaupack!!!!!!!!
I am very excited about the new home. The other home would have been an investment and a flip home eventually. I hope I am making this easy to understand LOL

We will build the new home and then buy homes to flip in the future. There are tons of possibilities in Wayne and Pike Counties.

Ok, I will wait for your package! I still will be interested in Tunkhannock and the surrounding areas for future flip homes!!!!

PS I am going to be in Tink-Wig on Williams Road. If anybody will need quality daycare for their infants, I will be available around March!!!!!!!!

We will be right near Woodloch Springs.

PS...Paul, I saw Shadowbrook and boy it is nice!
Thanks for the clarification! For a few moments, I was thinking to myself "This woman's a nut to think she's going to buy a home in Auburn and drive back and forth 90 minutes everyday during snowstorms to a homesite in Lake Wallenpaupack!" LOL! Then again, I'll probably be driving four hours daily to work in the upcoming years to Manhattan, so I shouldn't be one to talk! LOL!

You'll be living in a very nice area once your home is built. The Hawley/Tafton area is just far enough away from the city to be considered "too far to commute", which means that the area should remain quite and serene for many years to come, yet it's still not a far drive at all from Scranton or Middletown, NY for occasional shopping needs. (Just under an hour from each). I'm not familiar with Tink-Wig though; somebody else will have to help you out there with any questions.

Best of luck!!!

Old 10-19-2006, 10:44 AM

Smile You are so funny :)

Well we do know the area very well. We have been going to Cove Haven on the big lake since 1977. I always dreamed of living not far from the lake.
We honeymooned at Cove Haven and fell in love with the area.

When we left on Monday morning from Hawley it took us about 2 hours to the Newark airport area and about 2 hours and 50 minutes to my parents house in Millstone NJ which is near Freehold NJ. It is going to be great!
We know now that Clarks Summit and Dickson City have everything we could need and we will also have Scranton for more choices. We can't wait to go to Old Forge for dinner too

We also met a really nice woman that lives in Lakeville. We met her back in May and then saw her again last week at the restaurant she works at.
I feel like I already have a new friend including you, kiddo!

Old 10-20-2006, 10:41 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,652,275 times
Congrats congrats!!! So is the lot you're building on 10 acres also?
Nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania