Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 08:07 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times

Advertisements

just thought it was an interesting article on the changing energy market in PA
Quote:
On the outskirts of town is a Sunoco Logistics tank farm, named the Tamaqua Terminal, which for decades has been used to store heating oil and diesel fuel. One of the pipelines that feeds the farm, the Mariner East I, was shut down about a year ago...Today, instead of pumping oil and diesel fuel west, Mariner East I is being converted to bring propane and ethane east.

Sunoco Logistics is projecting that by mid-2014 Mariner East I should be ready to pump propane from western Pennsylvania to feed Sunoco Logistics' new Marcus Hook facility on the Delaware River. ..Like the Mariner pipeline, Marcus Hook is also an idled oil facility, and is also now being transformed to handle propane, ethane and other natural gas products. Sunoco Logistics bought the plant earlier this year from the former Sunoco Co. for $60 million, and is spending an unspecified amount of money to upgrade the facility...Details of the new pipeline, dubbed Mariner East II, are scant at this point..."It's our theory that most of the NGL (production) needs to export out of the market," he told investors earlier this year. "We happen to be a believer that the demand side growth will be slower than the supply side growth."..One of the largest of those new facilities is in, appropriately enough, Houston Pa., where MarkWest has brought a massive facility, capable of processing roughly 98,000 barrels of NGL product per day....
Sunoco Logistics plans Marcellus, Utica pipeline through Susquehanna Valley | PennLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Sunoco Logistics plans Marcellus, Utica pipeline through Susquehanna Valley | PennLive.com
Huge! For a lot of the state.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:49 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
This appears to benefit both the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia metropolitan areas. Excellent.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:23 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
This appears to benefit both the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia metropolitan areas. Excellent.
Yeah. A lot of drilling of the shale will probably happen in the Pittsburgh market but Philadelphia will be a huge refining area and shipping port for it.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:34 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
I don't really see how this will be good for PA or the U.S. in the long term. I agree with the first comment in the article and this is simply a way to transport the gas to the highest bidder overseas and deplete our domestic supply so domestic prices can be increased significantly. This sounds great for the companies involved, but what does this do for Pennsylvania residents? Other than increased natural gas prices for PA residents and spinoff jobs that will quickly level off and decrease because once the pipeline is built many of the high paying employees will be gone. Pollution issues aside, Pennsylvania residents are not getting their fair share from a resource that belongs to the property owners and every resident of the commonwealth.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:58 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
I don't really see how this will be good for PA or the U.S. in the long term. I agree with the first comment in the article and this is simply a way to transport the gas to the highest bidder overseas and deplete our domestic supply so domestic prices can be increased significantly. This sounds great for the companies involved, but what does this do for Pennsylvania residents? Other than increased natural gas prices for PA residents and spinoff jobs that will quickly level off and decrease because once the pipeline is built many of the high paying employees will be gone. Pollution issues aside, Pennsylvania residents are not getting their fair share from a resource that belongs to the property owners and every resident of the commonwealth.
once the pipeline is active PA producers will also be able to use it as needed. this is no different than the industries in philly and ny that sprung up as coal was shipped in for export also fueled a boom in cheap energy. later, oil in philly fed the refineries and the large chemical industry that once existed. as oil shifted to the gulf a lot of those industries moved there. this seems more beneficial to the state than a pipeline to the gulf. in the article they explicitly state that they believe that supply will outstrip demand.
it's also why a shale tax is a good idea though. with a tax we'd benefit from export by paying down debt, lowering business taxes, etc to producce jobs in other sectors

Old 11-22-2013, 09:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
it's also why a shale tax is a good idea though.

I'd agree to tariff on exports, matter of fact I'd suggest a huge tariff on the exports.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Pollution issues aside, Pennsylvania residents are not getting their fair share from a resource that belongs to the property owners and every resident of the commonwealth.
Mineral rights are the property of the deed owner unless otherwise deeded. They aren't the property of every resident in PA.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:40 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Mineral rights are the property of the deed owner unless otherwise deeded. They aren't the property of every resident in PA.
The infrastructure, profits and pollution associated with this industry impact every resident of PA so I am not talking about mineral rights. I am talking about impact and the profits associated with this industry that are mainly going to the natural gas companies. Also, water is a resource owned by all in the commonwealth and it is being stolen to make this process happen.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I am talking about impact and the profits associated with this industry that are mainly going to the natural gas companies. Also, water is a resource owned by all in the commonwealth and it is being stolen to make this process happen.
Have you looked at your gas bill lately? Electric bill? If you want to impose taxes on the gas companies go right ahead but it will be you paying for it.

As far as the water goes the amount of water the industry uses in any given day flows past a point in the Susquehanna in a few seconds,the water usage has 0 impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania