Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 03:36 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
If it comes at the expense of not having world class infrastructure, then yes, I am against saving money.
are you against saving money if it doesn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 02:11 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I am not Tea Party; but I do understand the principal of living on a budget. Governments do not like budgets. They should set the example of sound economics. Budgets encourage efficiency - one word that is always overlooked when negotiating budgets. By giving in to the financial demands of any government agency is to encourage waste - government is always afraid that if they don't spend every dime; that they will not get more.

There is also one more little troubling point: There are fewer true taxpayers every year. The more you force these 'fewer' to pay; the more that go bankrupt and ask others for help - one vicious cycle. What I saw so far is that this could cost consumers almost one quarter more per galleon. Our fuel taxes are already high and nobody accounts for where that money is spent.
Very well spoken.

Government is the biggest monster around and most irresponsible with it's finances. Yet they demand we turn over more of our money to them as though we have limitless pockets. When a lot of the pork in PA is eliminated and they show fiscal restraint I'll be more interested in sending them more money. The turnpike is a great example of bloated waste. It's the biggest make work useless organization around. They scalp tolls off of you and it's a piece of crap road.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:32 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Very well spoken.

Government is the biggest monster around and most irresponsible with it's finances. Yet they demand we turn over more of our money to them as though we have limitless pockets. When a lot of the pork in PA is eliminated and they show fiscal restraint I'll be more interested in sending them more money. The turnpike is a great example of bloated waste. It's the biggest make work useless organization around. They scalp tolls off of you and it's a piece of crap road.
It gets me a little angry that the Tea Party is branded "ultra-conservative". Our Nation, State and local governments are only a breath away from bankruptcy. When somebody speaks up and ask others to hold the line; they are portrayed as some slimy mutant that crawled out from under a rock. Fiscal conservatism is not alien or should it be strictly Republican or Democrat. It is sound economic policy and it built the our institutions with longevity.

I always feel that the people that squeal the loudest about fiscal conservatism are the ones that have a vested interest in deficit spending. They rely on government funds and don't want theirs cut.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:17 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
are you against saving money if it doesn't?
I think that's a moot question. It's something we need and it's very expensive. I think we just need to suck it up and invest. Our competitor countries are doing it.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:18 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
So are our competitor states.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I think that's a moot question. It's something we need and it's very expensive. I think we just need to suck it up and invest. Our competitor countries are doing it.
other countries build infrastructure more inexpensively so I' don't think that it is a moot point. our country's biggest problem is that it spends too much money without getting much in return

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
So are our competitor states.

the ones doing better generally have lower costs than we do. high cost neighboring nj is a basketcase

Old 11-25-2013, 03:18 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the ones doing better generally have lower costs than we do. high cost neighboring nj is a basketcase
Don't forget that NJ is paying about $.18/galleon less for gas than we are:Gasoline Tax. Plus they pump the gas for you. If they ever increased their fuel taxes to equal ours; they would have no problem funding their roads. They do have greater population (density) than PA - more motorist/mile to pay.

Do you or anybody know how much of the 18.4 cents/galleon, that is collected as Federal Excise Tax, is returned to PA? I always wondered if that money has political overtones or if it was absorbed in massive federal spending?

Old 11-25-2013, 06:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Here's a money saving solution for the rural tea baggers. Let's immediately cease any state contribution for paving or maintaining all rural roads and bridges (except Interstates)..
Those people are paying taxes just like you.

Quote:
If that idea is disagreeable to you tea baggers, then just shut up and pay the tax. Seriously. Enough of this crap
Shut Up! The Liberal Argument. I love this video.

Andrew Klavan: Shut Up. - YouTube

Old 11-25-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Don't forget that NJ is paying about $.18/galleon less for gas than we are:Gasoline Tax. Plus they pump the gas for you. If they ever increased their fuel taxes to equal ours; they would have no problem funding their roads. They do have greater population (density) than PA - more motorist/mile to pay.

Do you or anybody know how much of the 18.4 cents/galleon, that is collected as Federal Excise Tax, is returned to PA? I always wondered if that money has political overtones or if it was absorbed in massive federal spending?
I kind of meant on the whole (NJ has much higher taxes) but you're right they could raise their tax and probably should since they're using debt to plug the gap so as not to raise the politically unpopular gas tax. that's kind of what PA has been doing (although the debt is being dumped into the turnpike).
not really, as I understand it the federal tax was used to continually expand the highway rather than dedicating it to maintenance creating a system where ongoing maintenance began to outstrip revenue. worse construction standards on interstate highways were cheapened over the years which raised maintenance costs. everything federal is political (look at PA, the shuster highway)...roads have been built less based on need than politics and PA's road system was tops BEFORE federalization

Old 11-25-2013, 06:23 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Quote:
Let's hope they now do. PA's gas prices were always about $0.10-$0.15 more than NJ. NY and CT's were always about $0.30-$0.35 more. Now, with our increase, we'll likely be $0.35 or so more than NJ as well, so they will be surrounded by states with much higher gas prices. It's the perfect time for them to phase in a tax. Of course this benefits PA as well, as it will discourage PA residents from filling up in NJ before they come back over the bridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania