U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 02:20 PM

55 posts, read 151,500 times

Advertisements

A lot of new development has occured in the past decade. One thing I noticed looking at arial maps is that housing developments in what used to be rural townships have obliterated municipal border lines. The border lines go right thru housing subdivisions.

What happens when a municipal border cuts someone's house in half? What town are they considered in? How are they taxed?

Also what happens when say a road in a new housing subdivision is in muni "A" but the last 3 houses at the end of the road are in muni "B". What muni provides services (fire, police, trash, etc) to those last 3 houses?

I can't understand why developers would do that why not just keep the houses or at least space them around muni/county borders.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:21 PM

7,541 posts, read 9,273,308 times
Its my understanding that the front door determines which municipality you are a resident of.

As far as services, that's still the responsibility of the municipality you live in, even if you're the only ones in the back of a subdivision that are residents.

Municipalities do cooperate with each other and state and county officials on snow removal and salting of streets. And the fire and police departments often back each up as well.

Schools, you just go wherever you live at.

We have lots of streets like that here in Pittsburgh. The line between Pittsburgh and Scott Township slice crossway through the grid in East Carnegie, for example. Ditto with the line between Pittsburgh and Edgewood and Swissvale. And none of those areas are "new" development at all, they've been built up for 100 years.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:32 PM

4,268 posts, read 10,665,164 times
It's somewhat unlikely that new development would have parcels crossing municipal lines due to ever-stricter reviews of land development. A possible explanation may be that the computer mapping is not terribly precise and does not reflect the true or the current boundary.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:04 PM

55 posts, read 151,500 times
You are correct about the city boundaries not being accurate on google maps. The lines on google maps are a smidge off sometimes by a 1/8 mile or so if you compare with the 'city limits' signs on the roadways using google street view.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:14 PM

41,823 posts, read 46,276,469 times
I don't know if it's that is much different than the current situation, in my area you can drive for 30 or 40 miles and go through 30 different towns and boroughs. The only thing separating them is which side of the street you live on.

I can give you an example of really odd situation in my area. The bus that took my cousin to school when he was kid would have to go through another district nearly right past the other high school to get to his house. He lived on top of a mountain and they literally could of dropped him of that bottom and he could of walked to the other school faster than the bus ride to the school he attended.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:12 AM

115 posts, read 171,434 times
A similar condition existed between Ross and Shaler townships when I went to school. Two streets, Tristan and Isolda, were in Ross Township, but were only accessible by going through parts of Shaler. The kids were going to North Hills rather than Shaler Area schools. As far as I know, this is still the current condition.

Many municipalities have reciprocal agreements as far as police are concerned. There are many smaller fire companies that are not officially tied to any municipality, so fire service would depend on what is available. Trash collection can vary in how it is set up.

I agree with the mapping issue brought up earlier. I have used mapping online, and my house is about 1/4 mile off location on one service. Even printed maps are not necessarily accurate, as I have seen maps placing Valencia Boro in Allegheny County when it is in Butler County. I also know of an instance where a road is placed on a map as if it is a usable avenue, when it is no more than a right-of-way that is completely unusable.

Treesdale is an example of a development sharing municipalities. One part is in Butler County, Adams Township, and another is in Richland Township, Allegheny County. Due to the differing county sales taxes, Butler County residents have to prove they do not live in Allegheny County to avoid the higher sales tax. I don't live in Treesdale, but my zip code is on the state's list that has to show this, or pay the higher Allegheny County sales tax. On purchases like a car, a Butler County resident would be well served to show some documentation when making such a purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania