U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 01:51 PM

13 posts, read 64,398 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are looking to relocate to PA. Our families live in queens, NY and the East End of LOng Island, NY and we would like to be closer to them. We currently live on the Eastern shore near Salisbury, MD. New Jersey seems too pricey so that is not an option. Our home towns are way too expensive. The salisbury area is a great place to raise a family but jobs are limited. When we moved it seemed like a small city with a lot of opportunity since the recession the area is not fairing so well. We are basically stuck in our jobs.

We are looking for an area where we could:
1. Get home to NY easily
2. Need options for jobs even with a commute (I am a dietitian and he is in food service management but has a mass communication degree and is more flexible than I am.)
3. We have a 5 mos old so schools are not a top priority but we would like to eventually be near good school options.
4. We have dog so an area where I can walk the baby and dog especially at night (winter at 5 or 6pm is dark)
5. We would like to be near train or buses for one of us to commute if possible.
6. We love the small town our current town is about 1200 people.
7. I am catholic and my husband is Jewish we would like to be able to commute to church/temple.
8. We need good, safe, reliable daycare!

I know it's a crazy list. We have not been there yet but we have several friends that love the Lancaster area. This seems to be closer to transportation as well. Would Lancaster be central enough to increase job options without horrendous commutes? The Lehigh valley would be closer to NY but want to be in an area with a lot of job options.

When are you moving? Not sure
Where are you coming from? The eastern shore of maryland
Why are you moving? To be closer to our family in NY
Where will you be working? Not sure yet
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent initially
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? 800 a mos
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Need an elevator or else walk in.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with a baby
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets?yes 1 dog
Do you want or need a yard?we would love one!
Are you keeping a car? We have 2 but one is on its way out
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)yes!
Nightlife
Train or subway stations (near would be great)

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? It doesn't matter as long as people are friendly and the area is safe to walk around in.

Google shows the Lancaster area to be central to Harrisburg, York, reading, and philly. Are these areas commutable?
Any help would be great!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:09 AM

13,001 posts, read 30,550,177 times
I would look in the Lancaster area first. The only places that are in your price range here in the Lehigh Valley would be unsafe. There are buses that serve commuters from the Lehigh Valley to NYC but there is no rail service.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-29-2013 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 09:00 AM

10,101 posts, read 15,273,997 times
The train station ticket agent I talked to in lancaster says it takes her an hour to get in from reading. lancaster does offer train service to Philly and NY. you can commute to philly though its a long commuter since there are no express trains (on the plu side, since it's amtrak you can earn points toward travel to/from NY). Lancaster has a reasonable amount of employment itself and is known for quality regional foods. you might eventually want to look at elizabethtown and mt joy, both of which have their own stations west of lancaster itself. for the time being you might want to look closer to lancaster city in case you work on philly. also worth considering is parkesburg which is western chester county. small town atmosphere with a train stop

Old 12-30-2013, 05:18 AM

31,573 posts, read 71,642,297 times
I'd personally focus on Lancaster County. While the Lehigh Valley has its perks the cost-of-living there is on the rise seemingly at a more noticeable pace than South Central PA. As TooBusyToday said your budget wouldn't stretch very far in the Lehigh Valley, limiting you to more undesirable areas vs. what your budget could afford you in/near Lancaster.

Many people DO commute daily between Lancaster County and Harrisburg or York (and vice-versa). My partner is from Lancaster, and his sister commutes daily to Lebanon County. There are people who live in Lancaster and commute daily to Philadelphia via Amtrak, which, while expensive, can be worthwhile if it means you can land a higher-paying job in Philadelphia and offset it with the lower cost-of-living in Lancaster County. Traffic can get congested on I-83 between York and Harrisburg, which means I wouldn't move to York and look to commute to Harrisburg, but it is mostly smooth-sailing on 581 between Lancaster and Harrisburg.

The entire Lancaster-Harrisburg-York area is so economically intertwined it generally functions as one cohesive region and will probably be officially recognized as such by the U.S. Census Bureau within the next few decades via a new CSA designation. I've lobbied unsuccessfully to have the Harrisburg sub-forum renamed to include the York and Lancaster areas for this reason.

If you are looking for another quaint small town I'd suggest Millersville, Lititz (which can trend more expensive), Conestoga, Columbia (not so "quaint", but it's improving), or maybe Elizabethtown or Mount Joy, both of which are much closer to Harrisburg than to Philadelphia. Lancaster County isn't noted for having a thriving Jewish community, but if there was any epicenter it would likely be in Lancaster city.

I currently live in Pittsburgh, but we've been exploring a relocation to Lancaster city ourselves to be closer to both of our families. We're city types, and we've never felt uncomfortable enjoying the city after dark---dining at Molly's, imbibing at The Belvedere, etc. We love the historic architecture and quaint shops of Downtown Lancaster, and this is also walking distance to the Amtrak station. If you want an environment like this on a smaller scale then Lititz is your best option.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:50 PM

I've noticed that the harrisburg papers constantly refer to cumberland and york counties but the lancaster press rarely refers to harrisburg. the lancaster papers also follow philly sports. you can also see it reflected in the transit systems, you can get from york to harrisburg via public transit but there is no one seat ride from lancaster to harrisburg (AFAIK) except amtrak. I suspect that lancaster deserves its own subforum if anything. that aside, thought this might be of interest
Lancaster is one of two cities tapped by Pa. for new CRIZ economic development program - News

Last edited by pman; 12-30-2013 at 06:00 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 07:22 PM

15,981 posts, read 29,755,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I've noticed that the harrisburg papers constantly refer to cumberland and york counties but the lancaster press rarely refers to harrisburg. the lancaster papers also follow philly sports. you can also see it reflected in the transit systems, you can get from york to harrisburg via public transit but there is no one seat ride from lancaster to harrisburg (AFAIK) except amtrak. I suspect that lancaster deserves its own subforum if anything. that aside, thought this might be of interest
Lancaster is one of two cities tapped by Pa. for new CRIZ economic development program - News
Interesting info. Since Harrisburg is only 25 min from Lancaster, I drove through both today, I would encourage you to post regarding Lancaster in the Harrisburg subforum. Here is a link to that subforum: //www.city-data.com/forum/harrisburg-area/ I will ask the Administrator to consider adding Lancaster to the description locations under Harrisburg.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:01 AM

13 posts, read 64,398 times
Thank you for your responses! You have been very helpful. Although we may have to up our budget on the housing. Can anyone tell me average electric bill, water, what are gas prices there right now? Just trying to get an idea of the monthly expenses.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Interesting info. Since Harrisburg is only 25 min from Lancaster, I drove through both today, I would encourage you to post regarding Lancaster in the Harrisburg subforum. Here is a link to that subforum: //www.city-data.com/forum/harrisburg-area/ I will ask the Administrator to consider adding Lancaster to the description locations under Harrisburg.
it's 40 miles, roughly the same distance as to exton.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it's 40 miles, roughly the same distance as to exton.
You're probably right from downtown Lancaster. I was in the suburbs where the womens' hospital is that has a Lancaster address. It took me 25 minutes from that location to the exit for Macy's and Bass Pro Shops in Harrisburg no matter how many miles as I carefully watched the clock. I am unsure of the mileage.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mippy36 View Post
Thank you for your responses! You have been very helpful. Although we may have to up our budget on the housing. Can anyone tell me average electric bill, water, what are gas prices there right now? Just trying to get an idea of the monthly expenses.
The only thing I know about that is that our friends house is toasty warm. When we talked about their heat they said that they have gas heat. They also have a gas water heater, dryer and cooktop. I don't know if their ovens are electric or gas. Their monthly bill ran $70 last month. Oh, it is about a 5 year old house and around 2800 sq ft. Sorry but that is the extent of my knowledge about that area's utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania