Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2006, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,815 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

This is going to be an odd question and I hope some locals can help me.

I was born in PA; We lived in both Coatsville and in Parksburg. But I don't know which town we lived in when I was born.

We moved to NC when I was 2 years old and I have never lived in PA since.

Both of my parents have passed away and I do not have a birth certificate.

I wrote to the Chester County Courthouse records division but they were unable to provide me information over the phone. They sent me a form to fill out, but the form required a town of birth. Becuase I did not know the town, they returned the form and my payment for the duplicate, and said I should come to PA personally to obtain the copy. (They are concerned with ID theft.) They said that I would have to provide valid ID in the form of a Passport, a SS card, and one other form in order to obtain the duplicate. And I would have to complete the form correctly.

I believe that regardless of which town I was born in, all birth records (1964) should have been recorded in the same place; the county seat.

I am wondering if anyone who lives there and was born there can provide me with confirmation of where ALL births in either Coatsville or Parksburg are recorded? Or confirmation that they are recorded as either Coatsville OR Parksburg (in which case I believe I am out of luck.)

I just need to know what to put in the city/town portion of the forms.

Just a little background on why I am so clueless:
- My parents split up when I was 2 years old (at that time we lived in Malvern PA, 1969)
- We (my mother, brother and I) moved to NC where my Mother's parents lived.
- I never knew my father. He died about 10 years ago. I was notified of his death by his wife.
- My mother died when I was a young teenager, and my grandparents both passed away when I was in high school.
- I lived with relatives and then on my own from 17 years old on.
- I have tried to obtain this information from my school records; but they refuse to provide me birth city information either (ID theft reasons). They want to see the same ID that Chester County wants to see.
- My Social Security card (issued to me before my mother died - when I was twelve years old) has my maiden name on it, and the SS administration will not give me a new one with my married name, b/c I do not have a birth certificate or a passport to prove that the original SS is actually mine.
- My drivers license has my married name, b/c I was able to provide documentation of my marriage. But it conflicts with my SS card.
- I can't obtain a passport b/c I do not have a birth certificate - and b/c my SScard has a different name than my Drivers license.

Basically, I am stuck in the ultimate Catch-22.

All my ID were either issued or initiated well before 911 and before the big ID theft/immigration problems started. They were issued based what my parents or grandparents knew and helped me put on forms; but now those original applications/forms are not available to me b/c I don't know the answer to a single question on them (town of birth).

My family was pretty messed up, and now I am stuck with no real identity becuase I got passed around from family to family and information was lost.

I belive I can START the process of reclaiming my ID by getting a duplicate of my birth certificate.

If I can do that, I can get my SS updated. Then get a passport.

Can anyone help me out with the answer to "What town was my birth recorded in?"

Thanks,

--C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 03:23 PM

203 posts, read 1,256,510 times
http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/he...TION_ID=202219

try here. you can also call teh number on the PA website

Old 10-23-2006, 01:02 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,714 times
Cchild -

I posted for you on the "Other" forum. Lost your post & just found it. I left info for you in the following link:

//www.city-data.com/forum/other...rtificate.html

Good info turbor. I still find it strange that PA birth cert info is on the health section of the state site. Other states list it under vital records. I was born in PA & it took alot of phone calls to find out the info. Oh, well...

Old 10-23-2006, 01:57 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
You may try contacting the Bureau of Vital Statistics for both towns, the county or even the state to see if they can help you.

It may be that the Social Security Administration could offer some help as well.

Good luck.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:11 AM

179 posts, read 1,067,224 times
you may also try contacting a chester county lawyer they would be able to get through the red tape.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:39 PM

203 posts, read 1,256,510 times
Ive saved $ by asking my state rep for help in red tape matters....

Old 10-24-2006, 04:46 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,069 times
You could also check any sites that offer the census. You can search for the names and it would list the towns, addresses and give ages and relationships. I've found relatives for my wife three generations back. You can check Chester county government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: