Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:04 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,997 times

Advertisements

I am from Jersey and would like to know why PA drivers tend to drive so slow?

If roads were blood vessels then PA drivers would be the clots giving me a stroke.

This is a serious question, and not a generalization because I have never seen a PA driver in my life book it. And I go to PA every other weekend especially during the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 07:50 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,411,876 times
It's mostly because some people from NJ moved to PA and got PA plates.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:51 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,860,274 times
It depends where you are driving in PA, come to Erie sometime in the winter and you will see some fast driving. In Erie we drive even faster the more it snows.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
I am from Jersey and would like to know why PA drivers tend to drive so slow?

If roads were blood vessels then PA drivers would be the clots giving me a stroke.

This is a serious question, and not a generalization because I have never seen a PA driver in my life book it. And I go to PA every other weekend especially during the winter.
I have no idea what you are talking about. PA drivers are no different than drivers in other states. I think everyone complains about out of state drivers in their own state, but I've never seen anyone complain about slow pokes in PA before. I get annoyed with drivers around Philadelphia when they hang on my bumper when I'm doing 75 but I realize that down there, it's common to have less space between cars.

In towns, I do tend to follow the speed limits and perhaps that's what you are referring to. I do that because I don't want a ticket and want to be able to stop if there is a deer/dog/cat or child in the road. If you are speeding in our towns, than you deserve what happens to you.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:44 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Why don't Jersey drivers yeid to pedestrians? Why do Jersey drivers have sand in their car? Why does wildwood have weird traffic lights? Do you ever race around that circle to get off the highway to a normal road? In highschool we did. Why does Jersey have a beach?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:56 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,794,705 times
I think the top end of speed does seem lower in PA than in some other states. Possibly the geometry of PA roads compared to other places slows folks down. The top end of traffic flow does seem faster in NY (and in NJ on the rare occasions when not constrained by traffic), but especially in TN where it seems a lot of drivers are trying out for NASCAR or something. VA seems constrained by higher levels of speed enforcement - MD seems to have slowed down since they seem to be putting speed cameras everywhere to feed the nanny state. WV, well where not constrained by geometry and fog the sky seems to be much more the limit than it is in PA.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 AM

458 posts, read 657,055 times
I live in Pittsburgh, and I feel natives here drive with a very small town mentallity. We have family in NJ (Jersey City). We visted last May, and there is a definite difference in driving mentallities. The thing I love about driving in the metro NY area is, people just keep moving. Seems like something you should/would expect anywhere, but not in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh drivers are often rated as "most polite drivers in the US", but there are seriously people that would let an entire neighborhood in to traffic if there weren't people like me blowing my horn getting them to move. Pittsburgh drivers worry to much about what the other drivers are doing, and not enough about keeping themselves moving.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:51 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,045,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPANative View Post
I live in Pittsburgh, and I feel natives here drive with a very small town mentallity. We have family in NJ (Jersey City). We visted last May, and there is a definite difference in driving mentallities. The thing I love about driving in the metro NY area is, people just keep moving. Seems like something you should/would expect anywhere, but not in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh drivers are often rated as "most polite drivers in the US", but there are seriously people that would let an entire neighborhood in to traffic if there weren't people like me blowing my horn getting them to move. Pittsburgh drivers worry to much about what the other drivers are doing, and not enough about keeping themselves moving.
Yes, I don't know why people think there's no difference between the drivers when clearly driving through certain states/cities there is a huge difference. CT drivers also annoy me as I try to barrel through their state at full speed. New England drivers aren't bad though but Boston drivers! Oh god! I hated Boston so much so it might be clouding my judgement but it was by far the worst place I have driven.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
I think now we're talking about city traffic vs. non-city traffic. Metro NJ is not all of NJ. Metro NYC is a tiny part of New York state. We lived in rural upstate NY and people drove up there just like where I grew up in lower Delaware, which is the same as where my Mom lives in South Jersey. I've found the traffic from Newark NJ and east exactly like it is around Philadelphia. I think roads around Boston are in a different category all together.

What I've found annoying about people that move here from NJ is that they don't tend to actually stop at stop signs. They also leave their grocery carts in parking spaces instead of the cart corrals, but that's another topic!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,886,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think now we're talking about city traffic vs. non-city traffic. Metro NJ is not all of NJ. Metro NYC is a tiny part of New York state. We lived in rural upstate NY and people drove up there just like where I grew up in lower Delaware, which is the same as where my Mom lives in South Jersey. I've found the traffic from Newark NJ and east exactly like it is around Philadelphia. I think roads around Boston are in a different category all together.

What I've found annoying about people that move here from NJ is that they don't tend to actually stop at stop signs. They also leave their grocery carts in parking spaces instead of the cart corrals, but that's another topic!
Haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania