Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 14,529 times

Advertisements

I finished my basement without doing permits a few years ago. My pipes bursted a few weeks ago on the top floor of my house and flooded everything. Insurance actually covered it. I have to find the contractor who's actually going to do the job. Insurance company required me to submit 3 different estimates from 3 different contractors. This one contractor who I invited to do the estimate figured out that I never had permits in place. Now he's blackmailing me saying that if I won't give him this job he will report me to insurance and county. What can I do in my situation? Please help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 04:25 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,830,993 times
I am not a lawyer and I cannot give you legal advice, but here is what I would do in this instance. First, I would check my insurance policy and read through it to make sure there is no mention of not covering unpermitted work. Next, I would call the guys bluff and tell him to report me. Of course I would do this while tape recording the conversation and next I would file blackmail charges against him (Rick Pitino Style). This has never personally happened to me, but I have had friends who had insurance claims with unpermitted work and the insurance companies covered them without a problem. One of my friends even had the insurance fraud department investigate him because of the unpermitted work, but it was not found to be the cause of the issue so he still got reimbursed. In terms of the county, the worst they will do is probably issue you a small fine and tell you to get permits next time.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM

18,754 posts, read 17,961,406 times
When we wanted to finish our basement we were told that basements on our raised ranch homes were uninhabitable. However, after we would get the work done, to notify the insurance company and they would inspect the work and cover it in case of fire or thief. Our feeling is that they used the term to save them from water damage in case of flood? Our basement has always been dry. Perhaps it was only our insurance company?

It is always a good thing to report any major improvements to your insurance company and to document the work with lots of pictures stored in the safe deposit box or shed.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,598,282 times
Never give into blackmail. Call the police. I'm serious.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:32 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,690,617 times
Not all townships require permits for finishing a basement, depending on what mods you actually did - look into the specific rules where you live.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 14,529 times
Johny C, can you please tell me where I can find these rules? We're in Pike county. I tried searching online, but I got lost with all that information that came up.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:46 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,690,617 times
What township in Pike County?

Old 02-25-2014, 05:13 PM

30,218 posts, read 15,980,059 times
Not sure you even need a permit if you didn't change the footprint of your house.

Call your county courthouse-they can tell you who to ask.

If you do, or did, need a permit, explain you didn't know that and ask how to proceed. Then you can really pick your contractor.

Just had a thought: maybe the other contractors would know if you need a permit and where to get one?

Old 02-25-2014, 06:20 PM

Counties have nothing to do with this in Pennsylvania. It's your township that has the building inspector.

You really shouldn't give in to this guy. The police should be notified. It's just a finished basement. That means you slapped on some drywall and installed some flooring. It's not a big deal. We don't even need a building permit for the kitchen remodel we're doing since we're not moving utilities.

Our neighbors were caught building a deck without a permit. The building inspector simply forced them to apply for a variance (it was close too close to the road) and buy the permits. The township is not going come down hard on you compared to what this man is doing to you. If permits are required, all you need to do is get permits for your new job of refinishing your basement.

As for the insurance, how the hell does he even know which insurance company you have? Think about it. You're LETTING someone blackmail you. Your fear is what gives him power. One of the main types of blackmail is threatening to report illegal activity. His blackmail is a much bigger deal than a permit for goodness sake. Blackmail is more illegal and less common than someone finishing a basement, which almost everyone does and few do with a permit.

If I'm going to have to pay a fine and buy permits because of this guy, I'd rather do it because it was my choice via reporting him and putting him in jail than it being his choice and not being able to prove what he's doing after-the-fact. The police will take what he's doing seriously. They will get proof he is blackmailing you and they will arrest him. It won't be a slap on the wrist either.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:29 PM

For example, if you live in Blooming Grove Township, Pike County, Pennsylvania, you'd go to their website and look up the building code. In this township's website, that's on the left side of the screen.

Blooming Grove Township, Pike County, PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania