U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:30 PM

3,354 posts, read 6,139,028 times

Advertisements

When my wife and I went home for Thanksiving, we had to cross through Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Ohio before getting to our destination in Michigan. We noticed that the police were thick on the PA Turnpike, with a lot of people getting pulled over. In contrast, I saw a few cop cars in the other states, but nobody pulled over. It was the same deal coming back from our trip.

Then I got to thinking ... I saw exactly the same thing a few years ago when I was traveling from MI to Philly. Once I hit the turnpike, the cops were everywhere. It was esepcially sneaky ... er, ingenious ... that they seem to have these little areas cut out back off to the sides of the road, so that you can't see the cop car until you've gone speeding by. And by then, of course, you're screwed. In fact, when I was driving to Philly, the car hiding would record speeds, and then another cop up the road was actually walking out into the right-hand lane to direct speeders off to the side, to get their tickets.

I've never gotten a ticket on the Turnpike, but I can see how it would be really easy to get one. I'm just wondering ... are the PA cops always that aggressive on the Turnpike? I can understand wanting to control speeding, but this seems like overkill. And it doesn't exactly make PA an inviting state to drive through ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 02:34 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,380,272 times
That's funny, but I always notice more cops in other states, especially along 95 (think NJ, MD). I also have this running observation that most of the cars pulled over in, say, NJ, are cars with plates other than NJ. The same goes for MD. Back in PA, it always seems like they are pulling PA drivers over.

I speed as well on the Turnpike, but I rarely go anything more than 10 or 15 over the limit. Regardless, not handing out tickets to drivers driving way over the limit is not a way to make a state welcoming or inviting.

It may also interest you to know that only state troopers in PA are allowed to use radar. So maybe the state troopers are making up lost revenue that can't be generated by the local cops on the local roads.

The whole phenomenom of one cop measuring your speed while another actually walks onto the highway I did witness toward the western part of the state.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:59 PM

3,354 posts, read 6,139,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
It may also interest you to know that only state troopers in PA are allowed to use radar. So maybe the state troopers are making up lost revenue that can't be generated by the local cops on the local roads.
Well, that's something that irritates me in every state -- the whole idea that cops hand out tickets as a means of generating revenue, rather than keeping the roads safe as their primary goal. I'd rather see them focusing on reckless drivers, people going 20+ MPH over the limit, and things like that, rather than trying to sneak around and nab people at random who may be going a few MPH over the limit ... just so they can take in more money. Aren't taxes high enough already?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
The whole phenomenom of one cop measuring your speed while another actually walks onto the highway I did witness toward the western part of the state.
Yeah ... this was probably around Pittsburgh, if memory serves.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:27 PM

50 posts, read 211,613 times
I know several State Troopers (none patrol the turnpike) and their primary purpose is to keep the excessive speeding and reckless driving (weaving, no turn signals, riding in passing lane, tailgating etc) down to a minimum. That said, I don't know anyone in Pa who has gotten a seeding ticket from SP for exceeding the limit by only a few MPH. I drive about 8mph over the limit on most limited access highways and have passed thru many radar traps untouched. That will get you to 73 mph on the turnpike. How much faster do you want to go?
Also the turnpike has been the scene of many serious and deadly wrecks lately, so I'm sure that is one reason they have stepped up the traps. It is an older road and, as are most of Pa roads, not in the best of shape. 65 mph is probably too fast for the condition of the roadway anyway. And you don't wnat to get hit by a semi doing 80mph.
Yes, SP are the only PD in Penna allowed to use radar. I hate to think if every little town could have their own radar gun. Guarenteed you'd have stops for the sake of revenue. Been there, done that in Del where every little town has their own radar gun and spped limit. And they will ticket for 2 or 3 mph over the limit.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:10 PM

30 posts, read 143,710 times
I've traveled to and through PA tons of times and I must say that I have never (knock on wood) received a ticket from the state. New York's troopers are atrocious though! Going 2 to 3 mph over the speed limit?...they will more than likely get 'ya!

Old 12-03-2007, 06:45 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,380,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksr View Post
Yes, SP are the only PD in Penna allowed to use radar. I hate to think if every little town could have their own radar gun. Guarenteed you'd have stops for the sake of revenue. Been there, done that in Del where every little town has their own radar gun and spped limit. And they will ticket for 2 or 3 mph over the limit.
I've heard this before. Doesn't just about every other state allow the local PD's to use radar? Why would this be a problem in PA?

It's like the promoters of the Licquor Control Board who say "Imagine how worse the state would be if we didn't exist?" It's amazing how there are certain things that seem to work almost everwhere else but the powers that be in PA think they won't work here.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:11 PM

31,294 posts, read 69,856,382 times
I have thus far received two speeding tickets. The first one was legitimate---I was going 76 in a 55 zone on I-380 in the Scranton 'burbs, but the second one was just overkill---he got me at the bottom of a steep hill doing 56 in a 45 at 2 AM on an otherwise deserted four-lane roadway. I, too, agree that speeding isn't nearly as big of an issue as those morons who don't use turn signals, weave in and out of lanes because they're too busy texting to pay attention to the road, those who tailgate, etc. I'm no less capable of comandeering my vehicle at 56 than I am at 45.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:51 PM

511 posts, read 1,807,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
When my wife and I went home for Thanksiving, we had to cross through Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Ohio before getting to our destination in Michigan. We noticed that the police were thick on the PA Turnpike, with a lot of people getting pulled over. In contrast, I saw a few cop cars in the other states, but nobody pulled over. It was the same deal coming back from our trip.

Then I got to thinking ... I saw exactly the same thing a few years ago when I was traveling from MI to Philly. Once I hit the turnpike, the cops were everywhere. It was esepcially sneaky ... er, ingenious ... that they seem to have these little areas cut out back off to the sides of the road, so that you can't see the cop car until you've gone speeding by. And by then, of course, you're screwed. In fact, when I was driving to Philly, the car hiding would record speeds, and then another cop up the road was actually walking out into the right-hand lane to direct speeders off to the side, to get their tickets.

I've never gotten a ticket on the Turnpike, but I can see how it would be really easy to get one. I'm just wondering ... are the PA cops always that aggressive on the Turnpike? I can understand wanting to control speeding, but this seems like overkill. And it doesn't exactly make PA an inviting state to drive through ...
I think it's rare to see a trooper on the turnpike, especially on our side of it. We went to Seven Springs about a month ago and it was the first time I have ever seen a trooper patrolling near Pittsburgh. Generally, there aren't many areas for them to park their cars out of sight.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:55 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,258,637 times
The cops are out on the turnpike in full force during any holiday travel season. Otherwise, it's pretty easy to speed on that road. I'm not necessarily proud of it, but I've gone from Pittsburgh all the way to Harrisburg at nearly 100mph the whole way on several occasions and never got a speeding ticket.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:05 PM

31,294 posts, read 69,856,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
The cops are out on the turnpike in full force during any holiday travel season. Otherwise, it's pretty easy to speed on that road. I'm not necessarily proud of it, but I've gone from Pittsburgh all the way to Harrisburg at nearly 100mph the whole way on several occasions and never got a speeding ticket.
Ford Contours seem to attract the cops to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania