U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 04:27 PM

203 posts, read 1,217,103 times

Advertisements

I currently live in central PA. Im curious if Sharon is a decent place to live. Notebly crime and poluttion. Im single w no kids so schools are not an issue to me.

any info is kindly appreciated.

roger
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,504 times
Default A little about Sharon and the cities around it

Hello, I live in Sharpsville, PA. It's about 5-10 minutes away from Sharon. Sharon is not a very bad place. Yes, the crime can be bad at times. It all depends on what part of Sharon you are thinking about living in. Every city has its good parts and bad parts.

If you are considering moving in the Sharon area. I would check into Hermitage or Sharpsville. They are about 2 miles away from Sharon.

Hermitage is a VERY nice place with beautiful homes. It also has just about everything you could need. Ex.) Wal-Mart (thats a big one), Shenango Valley Mall, Giant Eagle, Kmart, tons of banks, Staples and wonderfule schools (incase you ever do have kids.)

So if I were you I much check into those two cities before thinking about Sharon.

While I was in school I was asked to make a website for the city of Sharon so if you want you can check it out. www.cityofsharon.net Hope you like it. I put a lot of work into it.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Old 10-24-2006, 02:43 PM

Im trying to find a cheap place. a 1 bedroom bungalow would suit.

something very inexpensive. i have no kids so schools arent an issue. im so glad i asked.

i noticed farel is in a empowerment zone, but only a portion of Sharon is.

i lived 25 yrs in a big city. and do not miss the crime. my home in central PA- the area is getting too expensive for me to stay here.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:10 PM

976 posts, read 3,703,714 times
I would look into Hermitage, but the Ohio border is right there. Check out Poland, Canfield, Boardman, Austintown, and Niles. All great towns just minutes from Sharon. I am a Pennsylvania transplant living in Ohio, and let me tell you, the taxes are much lower.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:28 PM

I have to remain a PA resident. I am retired on SSDI, on a fixed income. [PA has better programs then 47 other states...]

Old 10-24-2006, 03:57 PM

976 posts, read 3,703,714 times
^ Ok, well look into Hermitage. Very nice little city. About 10 minutes from Sharon.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:10 PM

http://www.hermitage.net/location/ (broken link) -paintballer, I like what I am seeing. I seen there are homes 30-40k there too. I have up to 1 year to decide this.

I really appreciate you guys's imput. The stats and sites all claim they are great. I like to learn from real people. So I very much appreciate your candor and reply.

:-)

Roger

Old 11-04-2006, 02:15 AM

3 posts, read 19,110 times
If you are looking for reasonable housing, I would strongly suggest that you keep looking within the actual city of Sharon. There are some areas which see more crime than others, but it is still nothing compared to a lot of other places.

Some of the nicer areas with cheaper housing are North Sharon and the Wengler school neighborhood. If you are looking at online house listings, here are some good street names to watch out for:

WENGLER SCHOOL NEIGHBORHOOD
*Wengler Ave.
*McClure Ave.
*Carnegie Ave.
*Federal Ave.
*George St. Ext.
*Plum St.
*Crowder Ave.

NORTH SHARON
*Hall Ave.
*Fisher Hill St.
*Tamplin St.
*Harry Ave.
*Paul Ave.
*Heinz Ave.
*Thornton Ave.

I'll check back later--if you see a home online that you're interested in and want to know more about it or the surrounding neighborhood, just let me know. I've lived in Sharon my entire life (except for college) and have a pretty darn good idea of my town. And if it makes any difference, Sharon's schools are just as academically rigorous as Hermitage's, if not more so. Unfortunately, Hermitage is whiter, and in the eyes of most Valley residents, whiter is better. (Sigh...)

Please don't write off living in the actual city of Sharon just yet (i.e. zipcode 16146). Unfortunately, the surrounding communities in the Shenango Valley tend to be populated with a large number of narrow-minded bigots who think that it is somehow the crime capital of western PA. This is NOT the case--it is an old but friendly town where good, old-fashioned close-knit neighborhoods and good old-fashioned NEIGHBORING (quite a rarity these days) still exist. In many areas you can walk to a store or to church (Sharon has more than thirty of them). Most neighborhoods have sidewalks and streetlights, and Sharon's central "hub" location will enable you to be close to the largest amount of Shenango Valley destinations, including the Shenango Valley Community Library, F.H. Buhl Club, Sharon Regional Hospital, and Buhl Farm Park. Yes, the taxes can be high, but they're generally comparable (in dollar amounts) to those of similar properties in the other communities. Anyway, good luck with your housing hunt, and I hope to see you soon in the City of Sharon, PA!

Last edited by proudsharonite; 11-04-2006 at 02:45 AM..

Old 11-04-2006, 02:52 AM

3 posts, read 19,110 times
Here are some nice houses in good neighborhoods which seem to be in your price range, Roger. These are all foreclosures (accounting for their unusually low prices for the neighborhoods), but they're still very good properties which won't need more than a little tidying to be ready to move in to:

70 South Myers--Near schools, good neighborhood
(broken link)

1044 Woodland Place--VERY nice area (Wengler School 'hood), very reasonable for the neighborhood
(broken link)

1079 Leslie--Again in GREAT neighborhood (Wengler), and again VERY reasonable
(broken link)

680 McClure--Church in your backyard (i.e. good neighbors)
(broken link)

Hope these help!

Last edited by Yac; 11-04-2006 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: realtor links

Old 11-04-2006, 10:46 AM

Dear Proud,

Ok- I did look these up. The property taxes are double what they are here. [yikes]

You are just the person I need for good advice.

One minute I want to keep it simple. A small place I can close up and go out of state 6 weeks at a time. Next minute I want a multi unit- so as to build a newt worth. The it really excited me to have acreage.

I am single-w/no kids. A southern exposure is important. Quite frankly I cant afford to stay in the Selinsgrove/Lewisburg area.

As a kid- I lost my azz on a 3 unit in Logan square Chicago. Gangs...I ended up abanding it. It was my life savings.

So naturally I have a fear of repeating that.

I keep to myself.

Alot of places dont have that "community" feeling. It is all about shopping. I have so much "stuff" that- im almost a prisoner of it!

So what is life? Traffic jams, malls, and the Internet.

My siblings have yuppy houses in Chicago. Ild like to say....I own my place. The bank owns your house, car and pretty much you clothes too!

99% of my stuff came 2nd hand. You wouldnt know it unless I told you.

seems this place might be ahrd to rent out..

Last edited by Yac; 11-04-2006 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: realtor links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania