Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Vote in Favor of a Proposed Constitutional Amendment to Ban Same-Sex Marriages and Civil U
I would vote in favor of the amendment as is being proposed. 19 22.89%
I would vote in favor of the amendment, but only for banning same-sex "marriage." 8 9.64%
I would not vote in favor of the amendment no matter how it is being proposed. 52 62.65%
I'm not sure. 3 3.61%
Other (Please Specify Your Views Below) 1 1.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:08 AM

17 posts, read 47,177 times

Advertisements

I am just curious, how did you come to terms with scripture you claim you believe to be the word of God. Did you have to use bad theology or revisionist interpretation? Or is it still sort of in limbo?

Vanight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 03:40 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanight View Post
I am just curious, how did you come to terms with scripture you claim you believe to be the word of God. Did you have to use bad theology or revisionist interpretation? Or is it still sort of in limbo?

Vanight
Excuse me?

Old 12-09-2007, 06:21 PM

620 posts, read 2,047,990 times
Not sure who you directed your inquiry at, so I can only speak for myself, but: I came to terms with scripture when I realized I was the word of God.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:36 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
Not sure who you directed your inquiry at, so I can only speak for myself, but: I came to terms with scripture when I realized I was the word of God.
I don't mean to move this thread off-topic, but I couldn't help but think that many folks in Scranton see city councilwoman Janet Evans in the same light as they bow down before her. Thanks for the laugh (even though you didn't even realize you were giving me the ammo for a chuckle).

To address the other inquiry, I've always struggled with how God views homosexuality, and this is something I always will struggle with until the time I pass away. Last Sunday's sermon in church was a lengthy one about how we should denounce liberals like Rosie O'Donnell and "her lifestyle" (likely to mean homosexuals). I didn't realize politics had any proper place in church, but then again what do I know? On the other hand I'd find it hard to believe that God would run around sending gays and lesbians right to hell instead of also taking their contributions to society and to their faith into account. After all, if God can forgive murderers, thieves, arsonists, etc., then why couldn't he likewise forgive homosexuals? After all, we're not taking another's life by our own hands, taking property which isn't ours, or setting fires that cause great damage---we're spreading love onto another person and hopefully encouraging him or her to come join the church.

I don't believe at all that the Holy Bible should be adhered to 100% verbatum. After all, each one of those books was written by men capable of inserting slight biases here and there in order to twist God's true words. For all we know Jesus Christ could have even been a fisherman or a teacher instead of a carpenter. God could have flooded the world for 41 days and 41 nights instead of 40 days and 40 nights. Adam might have been the first to take the first bite out of the apple, followed by Eve. Who knows? All I know for sure is that I DO abide by the Ten Commandments and try to live my life helping others whenever possible. As far as homosexuality is concerned, can I ask you all an honest question? If homosexuality is a "choice," then why on Earth would so many folks be willing to choose a path in life of such confusion, depression, and exposure to prejudice and hatred? It just doesn't make sense. Trust me. As an aspiring business professional and politician, my life would be 100 times easier if I could give my heart over to a woman and create three beautiful children. Instead, I'll spend much of the time at the workplace and during political debates defending my family status while others tout their "family values." It just doesn't seem logical that so many folks would WANT a life of challenge and adversity. After all, have we all forgotten what happened to Matthew Shepard?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:22 AM

57 posts, read 258,274 times
If you are adhearing to the bible why are you judging? If you are 100% why are you a lot of things? Hate the sin love the sinner? And you wonder why I do not like your argument and have found it hard to belive in a very selective set of rules.

BTW my space users whom support gay marriage try my group
http://groups.myspace.com/SupportSameSexMarriage2

Old 12-10-2007, 01:27 AM

57 posts, read 258,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
It's not the state's right to regulate a religious institution. Civil unions is the only institution that they should have any regulation of.
Where in what bible do you see the rules of marriage? And marriage was not started as a religious right. The church adopted the union of man and women into marriage. Look at the history.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:47 AM

620 posts, read 2,047,990 times
SWB--you're welcome for the chuckle. You gave me one too as I imagined your pastor bringing up Rosie O'Donnell and her liberal lifestyle during mass!
As I see it, the world is full of lemmings who can not think for themselves. So, when someone starts to think for him or herself, it makes a lot of people uncomfortable. Rosie is nothing if she is not incredibly brave. And for a so-called man of God to denounce her all-American dissent and questioning of government is...hrmph...pretty sad. She helped build a private hospital for wounded soldiers and vets in Texas. She is putting thousands of kids through music school. Tons of amazing stuff. And, what does she get? "Holy" people denouncing her lifestyle. Oy.

As I see it there are two distinct aspects to religion. One is the religion that was created by and in the spirit of the prophets. Scripture is inspired by that insight and the tools for spiritual alchemy on earth are contained in the books. They are a door for anyone who knocks no matter who you are. Then, there is the community of believers that developed as a result of humanity's natural inclination toward cults. These are the churches. As I see it, Jesus warned us very plainly about the potential of these places to take power from people and manipulate the spirit of scripture.

It is not religion, as in the spirit of the prophets, that has created all this animosity toward gay people. It is the churches. It is much easier to coalesce a group of people and take their power when they have a common enemy. Enter the gays.

The same model is also being used with "terrorists" on a global political scale. If you're afraid, you are powerless. You won't have to struggle all your life wondering what God thinks about your loving nature. Just ask. He will tell you. Many may not believe you, but at least you will know the truth.

Last edited by MermanMike; 12-10-2007 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-10-2007, 10:35 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,934,640 times
Let's get real here. Why would GOD, a supposedly almighty being, care one way or the other about a persons sexual orientation? If GOD is truly GOD, then GOD would neither require, expect, nor want any specific behaviour from any of us.

IMO, GOD wants absolutely NOTHING from us.

The socially accepted, normal, politically correct behaviours are the creations of humans and have absolutely NOTHING to do with GOD. It's just a convenient way to control people. The idea of GOD wanting us to behave a certain way has been around for so long, very few people even question it.

Although I grew up in PA, I'm not currently a PA resident so I didn't vote in the poll. As our forefathers intended, let's keep a very clear and distinct separation between church and state. Keep religion out of the government, and keep the government out of religion. The two just don't mix. Attempting to mix them results in an administration like the current one....and most would agree that it isn't working very well.

blessings...Franco

Old 12-10-2007, 01:04 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,669,079 times
God created humans and He wants to have a relationship with us, the same way our earthly parents want to have a relationship with us. The Bible in a nutshell is that God loves us and wants us to love Him. Since he created us all, He also wants us to love each other. We have created our own prejudices, whether against ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical appearance or whatever. I believe that whenever one person treats another badly for whatever reason, God is sad. It's not what He wants and it's not the way we should be. We're all brothers and sisters, and siblings do have disagreements and squabbles, but when you come down to it, in an ideal family (which is what the family of God should be) we do love each other and will defend each other against oppression of any kind. Unfortunately, due to institutionalized religion, not everyone is on the same page. And this dilemma goes back to the beginning of time. It's not a Christian thing or a Jewish thing or an Islamic thing - it's a human thing. There will always be selfish, greedy people who will distort the intended purity of something to their own purposes and who will be able to convince others to go along with them. So, in my own little corner of the world, I try to do what's right and treat everyone well. Maybe some of that will spread, and maybe not, but at least I have the satisfaction of knowing that I've done my best. I leave it up to God to sort it all out in the end.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:11 PM

919 posts, read 3,174,761 times
I voted Not Sure...cause I have some concerns bout messing with things as they are...but I also think some guidelines would have to be put in place, like you can't marry two people, your dog, etc...IT could get very weird here...between two humans yes, and btw, for all folks, I would add parenting classes in too, before you got married, so you can learn how to be a better parent and partner, to cut down on child abuse and divorce too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania