U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2006, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
13 posts, read 46,937 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

My husband and I (and Chihuahua Stella) live in Wilkes-Barre; we go to Christkindl every year in December and love the town of Mifflinburg, and Lewisburg also. I was actually born and raised in a kind of "northern exposur-ish" town near Wilkes-Barre.

How is the real estate? I'm in late 40's but we started our jobs young and it just seems like the kinda place I'd like to retire to, yet not too far from the folks.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2006, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Central PA
203 posts, read 1,217,558 times
Reputation: 95
Mifflingburg is too closed/isolated for my taste. youll do alot of driving for things to lewisburg and selisngrove. they fought a direct exit off of i80. so you always have to drive the long way.

there isnt too much of a job base there.

stick to Lewisburg. IMO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2006, 05:42 AM
 
39 posts, read 153,396 times
Reputation: 21
How is that Chriskindl festival? We are going to be moving to the Lewisburg area this June and there looks like there are so many festivals in that area.By the way Mifflinburg is really pretty and very rural if thats what you want. It will take you 20 mins to half hour for major shopping etc.I believe they have a Weis grocery store CVS etc though.If you want a little more built up Selinsgrove is close by for mall,eating but ou can still live on an acre of land or more if you want.Also Danville is nice too.Lewisburg is beautiful but a little more suburban.Any other festivals I should know about?I am a sucker for that stuff.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2006, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Central PA
203 posts, read 1,217,558 times
Reputation: 95
just about EVERY MONTH- there is a fest of some sort. I live in Selinsgrove. Northumberland had pinenotter days, McClure has bean soup fair, williamport has one, hughsville, sunbury has riverfest and an annual one for the hospital.

teh daily item newspaper- back section under "whats happening" lists the things as they get close.

you can live your whole life w/o really leaving the 4 county area.

i have attended theator and lectures at bucknell and SU. it isnt broadway- but nor is it broadway prices!

i wish i was like yall, on teh way in, instead of on the way out. I simply cant afford to be here on my fixed income. cheaper neighborhoods are Sunbury- Milton. Shamokin. Ild live in Shamoking beofre I would rent again.

the various towns sorta compete with the fests- all with a diff flavor- they are sorta mindful as to not overlap with another towns biggest celebrations.

my personal favorite is riverfest in Sunbury.

it need not be a holiday either check out teh marina state park at Sunbury- and the one on the hill. tho the hill closes for the winter. we had our family reunion at teh marina. [no hall to rent,lol]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2006, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Central PA
203 posts, read 1,217,558 times
Reputation: 95
there is a bulk store market and 3rd - Sunbury. thrift store there market and 9th ish.

check the thrift stores near the mcdonalds on 15, the one across from sheetz near mall, and teh mustard seed near the post office in Selinsgrove. The thrift stores have been fabulous this year!

the is an Aldis bag it yourself grocer on 15 at shomkin dam- sorta near mall. you can save alot of money there.

as for banking service one credit union, has no fees. they have locations thruout. check it out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2006, 10:04 AM
 
393 posts, read 1,468,352 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musial View Post
My husband and I (and Chihuahua Stella) live in Wilkes-Barre; we go to Christkindl every year in December and love the town of Mifflinburg, and Lewisburg also. I was actually born and raised in a kind of "northern exposur-ish" town near Wilkes-Barre.

How is the real estate? I'm in late 40's but we started our jobs young and it just seems like the kinda place I'd like to retire to, yet not too far from the folks.

Thank you.
You couldn't pay me to live there.

The native locals are for the most part nosey, ferocious gossipers, and are cheapskates. It's run by old clans and they don't like outsiders.

The school system isn't very good but the taxes are low. You get what you pay for.

It's not commercialized and is very '50s-like. The locals do stick together if problems arise. Still, I would never move there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2007, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Mifflinburg,PA
12 posts, read 59,075 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
You couldn't pay me to live there.

The native locals are for the most part nosey, ferocious gossipers, and are cheapskates. It's run by old clans and they don't like outsiders.

The school system isn't very good but the taxes are low. You get what you pay for.

It's not commercialized and is very '50s-like. The locals do stick together if problems arise. Still, I would never move there.
_____________
That is completely not true. The fact is, if you're not so friendly to us we won't be friendly to you. Most of the people here are very kind and generous, yet there are some who just don't like people I guess. You have persons like that in every town. Besides, you have no idea what it's like to live here. So why judge? And there is gossip in EVERY town thank you very much. I used to live in Lewisburg, and you wouldn't believe the things they say about people.
Also, our school is one of the highest ranking in Pennsylvania and the taxes are VERY high. My dad complains about them all the time.
It's definately not bad living here. There may not be much entertainment but taking walks around town with your friends is very relaxing.
I could say a lot of things about YOUR town but I'm not going to. I could even say a lot of bad things about Milton but I'm not going to.
Please, just think before you judge ok?
=)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2007, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Mifflinburg,PA
12 posts, read 59,075 times
Reputation: 11
Oh and, yeah. You'll travel to Lewsiburg a lot because we have basically no fast-food joints. (except for McDonalds because BK got shutdown. Grr.) Also, there is definately not many jobs here so you'd have to commute to Lewisburg. *yet again*
Mifflinburg is a great place to live but Lewisburg is where I was born and raised...so I love it there. And I miss it. But I wanted to stay in Mifflinburg School. So there you go.
I talk way too much. :P
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2007, 01:30 PM
 
393 posts, read 1,468,352 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessilynne15 View Post
_____________
That is completely not true. The fact is, if you're not so friendly to us we won't be friendly to you. Most of the people here are very kind and generous, yet there are some who just don't like people I guess. You have persons like that in every town. Besides, you have no idea what it's like to live here. So why judge? And there is gossip in EVERY town thank you very much. I used to live in Lewisburg, and you wouldn't believe the things they say about people.
Also, our school is one of the highest ranking in Pennsylvania and the taxes are VERY high. My dad complains about them all the time.
It's definately not bad living here. There may not be much entertainment but taking walks around town with your friends is very relaxing.
I could say a lot of things about YOUR town but I'm not going to. I could even say a lot of bad things about Milton but I'm not going to.
Please, just think before you judge ok?
=)
You have persons like that in every town

I wouldn't bet on that. I couldn't wait to move because I was tired of everyone prying into my business. It's the nosiest town in the area. Yes, I was a very friendly person but the only conversation that could be had was gossip or my personal business. 'Farting' really seems to be a virtue too. I'm not saying everyone there is like that, just the majority that I met while I lived there.

I would check the Standard and Poors school performance evaluations if I were you. Mifflinburg is the poorest performing school system in the area. It's available on the net.

Maybe you're just too young to realize my points about the place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2007, 09:49 PM
 
2 posts, read 10,047 times
Reputation: 10
Honestly, I am disgusted by the negative talk about Mifflinburg on this site. Maybe it is just not the place for you, but frankly, the education that I received there has gotten me quite successfully through four years at PennState, and in the process of applying to graduate school. I got a much better education than most people I know at school. As far as gossip, I will guarantee that no matter where you live, especially in any small town, there will be gossip. Even in State College with thirty or forty thousand students, there is gossip, that's life, live with it.

Honestly, as I am thinking about where I want to live once I graduate and get a job, I will be looking for a town like Mifflinburg. It is a beautiful place, very safe (which I really miss at school), and very friendly. It is also quite peaceful, and, honestly, I have really never met a person who moved there and was not welcomed. This definitely applies to the outlying areas, which is where I grew up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top