Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:33 AM

4 posts, read 26,245 times

Advertisements

You're going to find trash and racist folks (both black & white prejudice) everywhere you go.
Where i live, there are Latino gangs in our middle schools, Goths who devil worship and perform animal sacrifices, drugs and you wouldn't see that from the outside, since Florida is so pretty and we're in an upscale area.

Since you already made your move to WV and have the job in Uniontown, you should focus on the positive. If there is negative to be had, you will see it with your own eyes. These towns are all old coal mining towns and have seen better days, it's true. But there is so much to love as well.

You only have to spend as much time there as you have to, if that's what you want. But if you want extra time in the area, Let me tell you about Ohio Pyle! Beautiful hiking and white water rafting. There's even a place for natural rock sliding, now that's fun! Cucumber Falls is gorgeous.
Ohio Pyle is not too far from Uniontown.

Check out Seven Springs Ski Resort - also not too far.Lots of fun even in the summer (alpine slide) and snow tubing in the winter.

Make the most of it! You will find reasons to like it there.
Apple picking, being so close to the Burgh, hiking, fishing...
You'll fall in love with these mountains, they're gorgeous in every season and I miss them terribly.

Best wishes with your new life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 09:58 PM

421 posts, read 1,565,532 times
You are right on the money, JulieEileen. There is racism everywhere, and the aggressors come in all colors. A bully is a bully whether black, white, hispanic, or whatever. The person being bullied is always a victim, regardless of their race or ethnicity. In this vein, KKK members and Black Panther Party members have a lot in common. They are all bullies who find a B.S. reason to bully decent people.

What bothers me is that, on citydata in general, I'm always reading about racism from whites toward other groups in small towns like Uniontown, but never about the racism of blacks in areas like Wilkinsburg toward whites. These days, racist behavior by blacks toward all non-blacks is, by far, the most frequently enountered type of racism. The racial epithets and bigoted comments far too many blacks use without a shred of shame toward whites, hispanics, and asians need to stop. If these rich white liberals would just talk to people who work for a living, they would realize that this is the reality of the 21'st century in our country, at least in the Northeast and Midwest. Instead of raging about things that happened when Jimmy Carter was president, I wish the liberal elitists would get in touch with the "here and now" for the average person.

WHile I was only a child in the 1970's, and do not know if there was Klan activity back then in Uniontown, I sincerely doubt that there is such activity there today. When visiting Ohiopyle about 3 years ago, I talked to a nice black teenager and his white friends who were swimming. They were from Uniontown. This black teen was having a good time and was not being harassed by anyone.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:35 AM

57 posts, read 169,040 times
I do not live far from Uniontown,but my point is:::::People,every where you go there are people,the
mountains,the trees,the streams,never change,but people change them , people change,good and bad.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:05 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
Uniontown is in the Appalachian mountains, so thus the stigma goes with it. It was a part of the Connellsville mining field.

I stopped in Uniontown in 2002 to pick up parts from a gentleman who was parting out older cars. The drive was nice, so was the gentleman. Very country. It's just like any other coal patch town.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:18 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
I stopped in Uniontown in 2002 to pick up parts from a gentleman who was parting out older cars. The drive was nice, so was the gentleman. Very country. It's just like any other coal patch town.
LOL, I stopped in Uniontown seven years ago, before all the police and fire department were laid off because the city went bankrupt and Fayette County was named the second most poor county in PA. Give me a break....

Old 03-20-2009, 07:04 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Fayette has been the second poorest county at least since the 2000 Census. I used to go out there quite a bit for work but changed jobs three years ago. There are a lot of redevelopment projects, most notably the Mon-Fayette Expressway. As a civil engineer I'm much more likely to find work in the Uniontown area than I would be in my native Central New York.

The mountain area east of Uniontown is about as beautiful as it gets in PA, and the Ohiopyle/Fallingwater area is relatively crowded by tourism by PA standards as well. The rail trail has been very good to the nearby communities especially to the east going into Somerset County - the turnaround in the last decade or so in Confluence, Rockwood, and Meyersdale has been astounding.

There are also areas of rural or small town poverty in Fayette County that approach the levels of economic distress of parts of Cambria/Clearfield, a few bits of Schulykill County, or much of interior upstate New York. I myself saw trailers that had a water connection but no skirting, and a ditch dug from the sewage pipe outlet out to the roadside ditch. Until the Dunbar wastewater collection and treatment project went in about five years ago, the sewage from the old Pechin Shopping Village went right into the creek that flowed underneath the complex. I won't mention too much about the Borough of Brownsville except to say there are pretty nice areas around it.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:19 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwelleaut View Post
WHile I was only a child in the 1970's, and do not know if there was Klan activity back then in Uniontown, I sincerely doubt that there is such activity there today.
No, not "Klan" activity as in white sheets and parades down Main Street. Not then and certainly not now. But it doesn't even take both eyes open to understand there are areas in the county (and most counties regardless of which state you're in) where one side or the other just don't go. But again, this really shouldn't be news to anyone.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:29 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I myself saw trailers that had a water connection but no skirting, and a ditch dug from the sewage pipe outlet out to the roadside ditch. Until the Dunbar wastewater collection and treatment project went in about five years ago, the sewage from the old Pechin Shopping Village went right into the creek that flowed underneath the complex. I won't mention too much about the Borough of Brownsville except to say there are pretty nice areas around it.
A friend lives in such quarters, raised a family in a trailer just like the one you describe. He also makes over $50k a year. He lives within his comfort zone and in his mind wants for nothing.

Brownsville, the poster child for failure to adapt. But the reasons why are too many to deal with here.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,746 times
I live in fayette county and have for 21 years now i have been all across the country and seen alot of high and low end locations i think fayette county would generally not b the place to move to right especially now with the economy but if u have the funds to live here and either work else where or atleast go down to morgantown/pittsburgh/ohio pile etc, just to get out here, every once in a while then this is a great place to call home. especially if u go out to some of our country side and get a place a little tucked back u would b suprised how comforting that can b, and right now the price is right. although this place is like a black hole it kinda just sucks u in and dosent like to let go. so for all u lovers and haters out there something simple i always remember especially out here is if u rest u rust and u sure as hell dont want to rust out here especially early in life

Old 04-20-2009, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 10,568 times
Fayette county is one of the worst places to live in the northeast US. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania