U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 05:44 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,438,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areyouserious? View Post
Drugs: There are just a FEW more Meth labs in PA than NY Maybe NY'rs bring DIFFERENT drugs? All I know is I can still buy a pack of Sudafed in NY without having to know the secret handshake.

Crime: I've walked the streets of the "worst" parts of Brooklyn in the wee hours of the morning. I drove through west Philly in broad daylight and LOCKED MY DOORS!

Development: So I guess you don't mind selling your house to me at 40% below market? Yeah right. Its people coming in from other states that increased your demand. I've noticed PA people have no problem reaping the benefits from transplants. The belief in free lunch must be an Amish thing.

Anyway, I've seen a few people say it already, so I'll confirm. PA people are probably the least friendly I have ever met out of all the states I have been to. Extremely self serving, and they have this weird sense of "entitlement". Never have I seen so many couples who are NOT having kids, mostly because they are too selfish to deal with them. It's downright weird.

I can walk down the street in New York city where I used to live and my arms will get tired from waiving at all the people I got to know there. I've been in PA a little over 5 years and I think I know less than 10 people outside of work. That "we keep to ourselves" argument is a smokescreen for rudeness, a lack of social skills, and a complete disregard for your fellow humans.
Yeah yeah yeah, good and bad everywhere, blah blah blah.
I'm commenting on the majority. It seems to be a way of life here.

On the bright side...

Because people in PA are generally so sociopathically rude, it has actually helped us develop closer friendships with the people we do know. So I guess in a weird way it has worked out for us. I wouldn't move here twice though. No way.
That is so true! I would love to hang out with you guys!!!!!!
We will be there in the early spring! When ya hear a knock on your door, you'll know it's me! LOL LOL
Seriously, I would love to meet you, my fellow New Yorker!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 06:34 PM

84 posts, read 304,872 times
We moved into an old farmhouse in a neighborhood of mostly long time Pa. residents who have been here for years. We could not shed the NJ license plates from our vehicles fast enough as we just wanted to fit in. My husband helped out our elderly neighbor on his farm. He was thrilled to be able to learn all about farming from a seasoned farmer who learned from his father etc. Now that that dear man has passed on, my husband still mentions how lucky he was to have known and learned from him. In fact, I think the farmer enjoyed knowing that someone appreciated his knowledge. People can mix in with the locals very easily if you only go about it in the right way. No, you don't have to go find a farmer and tell him you want to learn how to farm. But do think about the reasons why you moved out into the country. If you can't be patient while driving on a small country road behind a tractor and hay wagon, or sit patiently while the cows cross the road headed for milking....then you really don't belong out here. To me, it is as simple as that.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:07 PM

1,330 posts, read 4,946,401 times
I would really love to know where you live, Pensypat..because here in my community people do not make the slightest attempt to be friendly..DH is going to Spain tomorrow on military duty and I cringe at how lonely it is going to be just me and the kids!

We are not city folk and we have never lived in a city. Matter of fact, I grew up in Delaware county, right over the border. but we are New Yorkers and that seemed to be the damming crime in our case. DH grew up in upstate NY and grew up on somewhat of a farm. We are not inpatient, agressive or rude by any means.

I look forward to the day when we move (and it will not be back to NY), but I don't disuade other people from moving here because of my bad experience with the people here.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:12 PM

Smile Why don't we all get a group together or something?

We can have a great time! We all seem like nice people here, weather we are from NY, NJ or Pa! Let's thing about getting together!
PM me if you are interested in starting something up

Old 11-03-2006, 09:38 PM

32,219 posts, read 74,209,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
We can have a great time! We all seem like nice people here, weather we are from NY, NJ or Pa! Let's thing about getting together!
PM me if you are interested in starting something up
I'd love that! We could hit up one of the pizzerias in Old Forge (or just the Scranton Olive Garden if you're not daring enough to try something different!) LOL!

Old 11-04-2006, 05:55 PM

222 posts, read 1,365,318 times
I live in harrisburg PA. My father moved here fron new jersey 40 years ago. all of his children grew up in this area. In the past 3 and 4 years tahter has been an explosion of newyorkers moving here. they call it 'telecommuting' when they have an apartment in NYC or EDISON and travel here to PA for friday saturday and sunday. most of them are pretty nice people, i work at a gas station right off the highway and main local road here. So a lot of them fuel up. Most of them are pretty nice they always say that cigarettes and gas are cheaper and that they can use cellphone normally. Everyone raves about the cheap houses, lots of jobs and I guess significantly less crime. But That is also another problem, many people ask 'waht is there to do here' they dont want to go outside and hike, visit state parks and enjoy the outdoors. there seems to be massive pressure to visit malls, new stores and then complain when 'i cant believe this town doesnt have __________ store" you fill in the blank. it is a good place to raise a family, but thats what people dont understand.

they leave NYC or NJ to get away from the noise and pollution, but then start demanding the exact same things that cause those problems. They say "you dont have this restaraunt" or "you only have 1 public school in this city?" or "how comes you dont have this"

Old 11-04-2006, 06:08 PM

32,219 posts, read 74,209,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openless View Post
Everyone raves about the cheap houses, lots of jobs and I guess significantly less crime. But That is also another problem, many people ask 'waht is there to do here' they dont want to go outside and hike, visit state parks and enjoy the outdoors. there seems to be massive pressure to visit malls, new stores and then complain when 'i cant believe this town doesnt have __________ store" you fill in the blank. it is a good place to raise a family, but thats what people dont understand.
The same "culture shock" happens here to people who move to the Scranton/Pocono area from NYC/North Jersey, lured in by inexpensive housing, and then are "suprised" to learn that we still don't have an IKEA, Dave & Buster's, or H&M! Why these people don't actually research shopping options before making a monumental decision to pull up their roots and plant themselves in a foreign area is beyond me! Then again, Scranton is becoming more like a "mini-Manhattan" with each passing month. As of next Spring, there will be two new Starbucks in the Downtown, and the nearby "Shoppes @ Montage" in Scranton's ever-expanding suburbs are bringing more nationally-recognized upscale retailers to our region (Ann Taylor Loft, Bombay, etc.) I've even heard rumors about a Hard Rock Cafe: Scranton! (Which is probably just pure speculation, but you never know considering how popular the city has become since being chosen as the setting for the hit NBC sitcom "The Office!")

Quote:
Originally Posted by openless View Post
they leave NYC or NJ to get away from the noise and pollution, but then start demanding the exact same things that cause those problems. They say "you dont have this restaraunt" or "you only have 1 public school in this city?" or "how comes you dont have this"
Just look at Stroudsburg circa 1976 vs. Stroudsburg circa 2006! In just one generation, people from NY/NJ have managed to transform Eastern Monroe County into a NEW New Jersey of sorts, and now they're complaining about THAT too! Folks, make up your minds! Do you want to move to NEPA for a slower pace of life, better schools, less materialism, lower housing prices, etc., or do you want to claim it as the newest territory in the "BosWash" commuter corridor? You can't have both! Personally, I'll be doing much of my Christmas shopping this year at merchants in Downtown Scranton; you can take your suburban Talbots, Ann Taylor Loft, Wal-Mart, and Lowe's and shove 'em! LOL!

Old 11-05-2006, 12:25 PM

Smile Ok, then we need to see who wants to get together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I'd love that! We could hit up one of the pizzerias in Old Forge (or just the Scranton Olive Garden if you're not daring enough to try something different!) LOL!
This would be so much fun! We will be there after Feb. renting something until the house is done. Ok, so far it's us and you!

Ok, anybody else interested in getting together?

Old 11-05-2006, 05:00 PM

414 posts, read 1,709,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensypat View Post
We moved into an old farmhouse in a neighborhood of mostly long time Pa. residents who have been here for years. We could not shed the NJ license plates from our vehicles fast enough as we just wanted to fit in. My husband helped out our elderly neighbor on his farm. He was thrilled to be able to learn all about farming from a seasoned farmer who learned from his father etc. Now that that dear man has passed on, my husband still mentions how lucky he was to have known and learned from him. In fact, I think the farmer enjoyed knowing that someone appreciated his knowledge. People can mix in with the locals very easily if you only go about it in the right way. No, you don't have to go find a farmer and tell him you want to learn how to farm. But do think about the reasons why you moved out into the country.
Exceptional sensitvity and decency on your part......you're a fine example for others to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensypat View Post
If you can't be patient while driving on a small country road behind a tractor and hay wagon, or sit patiently while the cows cross the road headed for milking....then you really don't belong out here. To me, it is as simple as that.
This speaks volumes. You couldn't have expressed the matter any better....except perhaps to add "you really won't be satisfied or happy 'here".

Moving to the country and missing the city to the point of demanding urban attributes to make you happy is as inapt as a country type moving to the city and lobbying to have whole blocks torn down to countrify the city...

I grew up in very rural Luzerne County ( 300 person hamlet), spent several terriifc years in NYC and eventually went east to eastern Long Island (which had been a bunch of hamlets by the sea but has, by now, become a bunch of piglets by the sea, if you catch my drift......it's over out here, long over. Ugh. Thanks a lot. Thanks to those many (far too many) who didn't move here for love of the place.

Take care of PA...it's so worth it, but I see the handwriting on the wall there, too, sorry to say. 'Rural' or 'semi-rural' or small town/ small city is attitudinal as much as geo-physical. Anyone who can be sensitive to that notion and never willing to be overwhelming in their approach to living in PA will probaly be greeted with respect and decency in return. But, if you seek to be overly self-serving and trample the native atmosphere and good will......well, I wouldn't put up with ya either...heh.... or give ya the time of day...... the hell with ya..

And don't get me started on courteous driving.......yielding and such.......
I'm a veteran of metro NY highways....who learned to drive in PA way back when....there's a world of difference...however, I concede that today's drivers are infected everywhere...just try the North Cross Valley Expressway in Wilkes-Barre...the operative word being 'cross'..........misery. A pity. Just what happens to people when you give'em a highway and a car? they get freaky...... it becomes vehicular combat....eh?

I've gone too far and apologize, but I do appreciate this author's sensibilities.... Thanks PensyPat......

Old 11-06-2006, 03:12 AM

84 posts, read 304,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
Exceptional sensitvity and decency on your part......you're a fine example for others to follow.

This speaks volumes. You couldn't have expressed the matter any better....except perhaps to add "you really won't be satisfied or happy 'here".

Moving to the country and missing the city to the point of demanding urban attributes to make you happy is as inapt as a country type moving to the city and lobbying to have whole blocks torn down to countrify the city...

I grew up in very rural Luzerne County ( 300 person hamlet), spent several terriifc years in NYC and eventually went east to eastern Long Island (which had been a bunch of hamlets by the sea but has, by now, become a bunch of piglets by the sea, if you catch my drift......it's over out here, long over. Ugh. Thanks a lot. Thanks to those many (far too many) who didn't move here for love of the place.

Take care of PA...it's so worth it, but I see the handwriting on the wall there, too, sorry to say. 'Rural' or 'semi-rural' or small town/ small city is attitudinal as much as geo-physical. Anyone who can be sensitive to that notion and never willing to be overwhelming in their approach to living in PA will probaly be greeted with respect and decency in return. But, if you seek to be overly self-serving and trample the native atmosphere and good will......well, I wouldn't put up with ya either...heh.... or give ya the time of day...... the hell with ya..

And don't get me started on courteous driving.......yielding and such.......
I'm a veteran of metro NY highways....who learned to drive in PA way back when....there's a world of difference...however, I concede that today's drivers are infected everywhere...just try the North Cross Valley Expressway in Wilkes-Barre...the operative word being 'cross'..........misery. A pity. Just what happens to people when you give'em a highway and a car? they get freaky...... it becomes vehicular combat....eh?

I've gone too far and apologize, but I do appreciate this author's sensibilities.... Thanks PensyPat......
You are welcome, WasPa. I really believe that many people move without thoroughly researching the state or area they are relocating to. Then when they get there and are unhappy and make the rest of us suffer along with them. I happen to love living in Pa. Just my opinion, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania