Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:07 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Signed, a "dumb" delivery driver (with a much smaller Honda Fit) with a sky-high IQ.
Although I try to be very quiet about this in social media, I'm Officer Clark aka "Kampus Kop" at UPenn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 09:12 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Slightly off topic: I read today that leading this year's LGBT Pride Parade here in Philly is ... get this! ... is

... THE VILLAGE PEOPLE !!!!

(are those guys still around???!!! They must be in their 70's!)

Old 05-21-2014, 09:32 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Slightly off topic: I read today that leading this year's LGBT Pride Parade here in Philly is ... get this! ... is

We in Pittsburgh will be welcoming something called Chaka Khan---whatever that is?!

Old 05-21-2014, 10:31 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,989,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

Quote:
We in Pittsburgh will be welcoming something called Chaka Khan---whatever that is?!
Maybe this as a result could possibly give the state of Pennsylvania an economic boost.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:09 PM

125 posts, read 159,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Maybe this as a result could possibly give the state of Pennsylvania an economic boost.
Maybe gay couples from Maryland, New Jersey, and New York will consider moving here, too. I hate to see all the arguing back and forth over this and that; the fact is many couples - some of whom have been together for decades - will be able to marry and get on with their lives with the benefits, obligations, and security that comes with that.

Perhaps the Oregon House Republican Leader Mike McLane said it best the other day: "For those that believe marriage is a religious covenant, the origin of which predates America, today's federal court ruling won't change that. For those that believe marriage is a legal union between two people that is recognized and enforced by our state government, today's ruling is a logical extension of the Supreme Court's ruling last summer. Our society must embrace both views. My hope is that the process of reconciliation in Oregon will continue as we move forward with respect for each other."

Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,725,360 times
What's odd is, Oregon's gay marriage ban was overturned one whole week before Pennsylvania's was, but nobody labeled the entire state "backwards" or "behind the times" even though its law was at odds with Washington and California.

Pennsylvania was the 19th state to have gay marriage legalized, which means there are 31 other states that still haven't. That puts Pennsylvania in the second quintile with regard to this policy: not super-duper-cutting-edge, but not backwards either. Besides, there are still two states bordering Pennsylvania where gay marriage is still illegal. And say what you want about the method in which it was legalized in Pennsylvania, but just remember that poll after poll has indicated that a majority of Pennsylvanians have supported gay marriage regardless.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:50 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,278,222 times
Quote:

I'm sorry, I know you are on the young-ish side, but I believe you now have to hand in your gay card because you do not know who Chaka Khan is.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:05 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,583,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS1989 View Post
Maybe gay couples from Maryland, New Jersey, and New York will consider moving here, too. I hate to see all the arguing back and forth over this and that; the fact is many couples - some of whom have been together for decades - will be able to marry and get on with their lives with the benefits, obligations, and security that comes with that.
Exactly, that's the point of all of this. Equal recognition in the eyes of the law.

Personal/religious views are entirely irrelevant in this debate. I strongly disagree with Tom Corbett on many things, but I respect that at least he was able to make this distinction in his statement against appealing.

Constitutions exist to protect all citizens' rights, and this should not at all be compromised based on emotionalized opinions and personal world-views.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:20 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,249,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
What's odd is, Oregon's gay marriage ban was overturned one whole week before Pennsylvania's was, but nobody labeled the entire state "backwards" or "behind the times" even though its law was at odds with Washington and California.
I'm not sure what you're hearing in Georgia, but when I lived in Houston, I never heard anyone consider PA as "backwards." Since moving here, I've met some folks here who consider everything beyond SEPA (plus Pittsburgh) as somewhat backwards, but these are friends who have never lived outside of PA. Instead, I presume they are comparing PA to the reliably blue northeastern states we border. If so, then yes, we are lagging to adopt politically progressive policies and practices as our own. But when I look at the map, I see a state with a large border with Ohio, rural NY, western MD and (often forgotten) WV. When comparing PA with Ohio, I see us leaning a bit further blue.

States I consider backwards have governors and other elected officials leading the charge against court rulings in favor of same-gender marriage. For example, my former home state: Rick Perry: ?We will continue to fight? - Lucy McCalmont - POLITICO.com. Unlike Texas and other solidly red states, Corbett had to walk a delicate line here, and ultimately came down in favor of letting the ruling stand. In an election year, the fact that Corbett made this decision reflects less on him than personally than his assessment of the views of the state's electorate. Progressive? No. Backwards? No. Leaning blue? That's my assessment.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:59 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,583,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I'm not sure what you're hearing in Georgia, but when I lived in Houston, I never heard anyone consider PA as "backwards." Since moving here, I've met some folks here who consider everything beyond SEPA (plus Pittsburgh) as somewhat backwards, but these are friends who have never lived outside of PA. Instead, I presume they are comparing PA to the reliably blue northeastern states we border. If so, then yes, we are lagging to adopt politically progressive policies and practices as our own. But when I look at the map, I see a state with a large border with Ohio, rural NY, western MD and (often forgotten) WV. When comparing PA with Ohio, I see us leaning a bit further blue.

States I consider backwards have governors and other elected officials leading the charge against court rulings in favor of same-gender marriage. For example, my former home state: Rick Perry: ?We will continue to fight? - Lucy McCalmont - POLITICO.com. Unlike Texas and other solidly red states, Corbett had to walk a delicate line here, and ultimately came down in favor of letting the ruling stand. In an election year, the fact that Corbett made this decision reflects less on him than personally than his assessment of the views of the state's electorate. Progressive? No. Backwards? No. Leaning blue? That's my assessment.
Very eloquently explained, and I agree completely. If we're examining a politically-complex state like Pennsylvania, it's important to keep context in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania