Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 03:28 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times

Advertisements

I believe Daryl Metcalfe is trying to "save face." He knows this battle is lost, and the game - at least here in the Keystone State - is over. He is trying to make noise for the sake of his conservative base. The state constitution amended to ban same sex marriage? Not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 06:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
mancat100 nailed it. Gays should have every LEGAL right under the constitution as anyone else including marriage, adoption of children, being able to sue for discrimination in the work place, etc., I whole heartedly agree with the premise that homophobes and those who have been scapegoating gays for years are threatened "because they're not in charge anymore!" Get used to it!
Clearly the gay community has made it clear that they are in charge now and will not tolerate dissent. Don Jones, Brendan Eich, Ben Carson, and Phil Robertson are some of the people who have been chastised for not agreeing with they gay lifestyle, even though they have not discriminated at all against them.

The bullied has become the bully.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:32 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
First, I love how special interest groups can route the system. Sue and throw tantrums until you get what you want. Screw the legislature and voters. But then, we see that with the President bypassing Congress so why not have it trickle on down.

Second, the government should stay out of the marriage business. But they won't because it is a business. This means more money for the counties through marriage licenses and court/legal fees from divorce.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:40 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Nope. I'm a former conservative Christian myself. I'm also gay. I've lived in both worlds and stand by my comment. It's not intolerant to point out the truth. Now that gays are having their rights recognized and are starting to assert themselves, many Conservative Christians are feeling threatened. Grow up. You're not being fed to lions in the arena. Your churches aren't being shut down. You have your constitutional rights. You're not being persecuted. You're just not in charge anymore.
Tell that to the Baker in Denver:
Bakery Will Stop Making Wedding Cakes After Losing Discrimination Case « CBS Denver

Those gay men and the government are persecuting the baker for his religious beliefs.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:09 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Bakery Will Stop Making Wedding Cakes After Losing Discrimination Case « CBS Denver

Those gay men and the government are persecuting the baker for his religious beliefs.
He had his day in court and he lost. Maybe he should appeal the case. It's his own decision to stop making wedding cakes. Honestly, do I think he should be able to refuse service to potential customers if it conflicts with his beliefs? It depends.

That being said if you think this rises to the level of actual persecution, there's a woman in Sudan you should probably talk to. (Look it up).

Last edited by mancat100; 06-01-2014 at 08:21 AM..

Old 06-01-2014, 08:20 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Quote:

While I don't agree with the baker's beliefs about gays, I do believe it is his right to refuse to do business based on his beliefs. It is then also the right of other potential customers to choose whether or not to buy from the baker. So, let him refuse and then let the free market go from there.

I don't agree with what the president of Chick-fil-A said about gays, either, but heck, they make good chicken sandwiches, so I keep buying from them.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Clearly the gay community has made it clear that they are in charge now and will not tolerate dissent. Don Jones, Brendan Eich, Ben Carson, and Phil Robertson are some of the people who have been chastised for not agreeing with they gay lifestyle, even though they have not discriminated at all against them.

The bullied has become the bully.
I think your comment is a bunch of nonsense.

Every single day there are some folks out there that are making all kinds of ridiculous anti-gay statements and no one is trying to shut them up ... except, perhaps, their employers - who see prejudiced and inflammatory controversial comments as detrimental to their business.

For example: Franklin Graham, the son of evangelist Billy Graham, has been making anti-gay statements publicly every single day over the past few years. No one is silencing him or oppressing him. However, if he was a spokesperson for my company I would fire him if his incendiary statements were hurting my business.

While you are free to express your opinions publicly ... you are NOT free to be immune from criticism because of your speech.

If you slander or defame me, I can sue you in Court. Did you know that?

When bigots spew hate speech against any group: Blacks, Hispanics, Jews, Italians, etc. they must be prepared for the consequences of their speech.

Years ago a major target of lies, insults, stereotyping, and prejudiced propaganda was the Jewish Community. The oldest Jewish organization in the US, the Order of B'nai B'rith, organized the ADL - the Anti-Defamation League - to combat all that hate speech. It was bad. There was Father Conklin on national radio always attacking the Jews, and anti-Semitism was rampant in the US. Now there are people to this very who consider Jews in America "bullies" for criticizing anti-Semitic speech, but neither the ADL (now an independent organization), the B'nai B'rith, or the Jewish Community is backing down.

So, get over your persecution complex.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:37 AM

It is interesting to note that the federal judge who ruled in favor of legal same sex marriage here in Pennsylvania, Judge John E. Jones III, was appointed by President Bush upon the recommendation of (then) Sen. Rick Santorum.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:

First, I love how special interest groups can route the system. Sue and throw tantrums until you get what you want. Screw the legislature and voters. But then, we see that with the President bypassing Congress so why not have it trickle on down.
Using the Judiciary is part of the system. Just as the Executive branch can veto the Legislative branch, the Legislative branch can override the Executive branch's veto, the Judiciary branch can invalidate actions by either or both the Legislative and the Executive branches. The Judiciary can be restrained by constitutional amendment. It's all about the separation of powers and checks and balances.

I suggest you study the Constitution of the United States.

The majority of voters do NOT have a right to restrict the liberty and basic freedoms of a minority. It's all in the Constitution. That is why in the year since the Supreme Court of the United States in both their Windsor and Hollingsworth decisions, federal judges have rule 19 out of 19 court cases throughout the US in favor of marriage equality.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:54 AM

111 posts, read 150,745 times
Hey I don't like you because of your religion, race, sex , whatever, I should be permitted to refuse you service. Right. That's what I'm getting from some of you people. Of wait , maybe I shouldn't be allowed to refuse you service because you're African American, but you know being gay is something different, my bible tells me so. ( It also tells you slavery is ok too, but we don't press that issue anymore)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania