Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 12:13 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times

Advertisements

In my local newspaper this story is running today: Lawmakers want to put radar guns in the hands of local cops | PoconoRecord.com. Apparently it is gaining some momentum - this push to give local law enforcement radar guns. According to that article: "The National Motorists Association has long opposed bills such as Vulakovich's proposal.."

I also oppose giving radar to local enforcement. What I fear is that it will be unfairly enforced and turn one locality against another. The proponents claim that it will not be used to generate revenue. They claim the money is divided between the courts, emergency medical services and there is little left over for the police. I still feel that 'little' is more than they would get if they simply had to rely on their salary - it is still more money into the system and less in the hands of the people they 'protect'.

With local radar we will have to fear a trip across our State. Some local enforcement will be lax with the new power and some will be aggressive. It will divide us; instead of bringing us together.

Our local police already have the power to shut down and fine any dangerous drivers - they have the power to cite for driving too fast for conditions or reckless driving.

I just don't feel this is the right move for PA. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 12:44 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Fine, but then no radar guns in unmarked cars.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:09 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Your thoughts?
Sorry, but I don't see a problem with doing what EVERY OTHER STATE already does.

Why, oh why, do we think that doing things our own way in PA is better?

Old 04-26-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Sorry, but I don't see a problem with doing what EVERY OTHER STATE already does.

For awhile I operated truck out of Carlisle, PA. The Middlesex police were notorious for local law enforcement. Almost everybody I knew got a ticket - except me. Did we feel safer; I don't think so. Many just felt poorer. There were still accidents from Saturday night drunks and kids still raced on the back roads.

Many of the people speeding along side of us on our highways are off duty police, lawyers and politicians. Most of them would not have to worry even if they did get pulled over.

But, I will not fight with you; many feel the same way as you do. My feeling is that it will not make us better.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:30 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Local law enforcement in PA already have VASCAR.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:57 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
You're not the only one; it's a dangerous idea. All this will do is enable every little ****hole town that happened to win the highway lottery to balance their budgets with ticket revenue. 'Cuz, you know, it's all about $afety.

I actually like that Pennsylvania is the only state that doesn't let Barney Fife have a radar gun.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:48 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post

Guess I don't see why we should do it just because other states do. Our decision shouldn't be based on theirs.

I'm not sure how these things work. If they point it a vehicle, it measures the speed? and id's the vehicle?
Is it possible for them to point it at one car, and say it was another?

If someone is driving really fast, is it their word against the policeman's?

Old 04-27-2014, 02:17 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
In my local newspaper this story is running today: Lawmakers want to put radar guns in the hands of local cops | PoconoRecord.com. Apparently it is gaining some momentum - this push to give local law enforcement radar guns. According to that article: "The National Motorists Association has long opposed bills such as Vulakovich's proposal.."

I also oppose giving radar to local enforcement. What I fear is that it will be unfairly enforced and turn one locality against another. The proponents claim that it will not be used to generate revenue. They claim the money is divided between the courts, emergency medical services and there is little left over for the police. I still feel that 'little' is more than they would get if they simply had to rely on their salary - it is still more money into the system and less in the hands of the people they 'protect'.

With local radar we will have to fear a trip across our State. Some local enforcement will be lax with the new power and some will be aggressive. It will divide us; instead of bringing us together.

Our local police already have the power to shut down and fine any dangerous drivers - they have the power to cite for driving too fast for conditions or reckless driving.

You are going to fear driving across your state because the local police can enforce the law? Really? My thoughts are you are silly and over reacting.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
You're not the only one; it's a dangerous idea. All this will do is enable every little ****hole town that happened to win the highway lottery to balance their budgets with ticket revenue. 'Cuz, you know, it's all about $afety.

I actually like that Pennsylvania is the only state that doesn't let Barney Fife have a radar gun.
That is what had happened down South many years ago and we made fun of it with characters - like Barney Fife. But it wasn't funny if they nabbed you and took you to the cleaners. I had a ticket in Tennessee about fifteen years ago. There was absolutely no way I could have been going 45 in their 35 mph speed zone. I was just starting to move from a dead stop at the stop light with an over weight load - they could have fined me for that if they weighed me! It was the first ticket I had in 30 years and it wasn't worth driving back to Tennessee to fight. I am tired of government telling us they are doing things for our safety. They have been screaming about cell phones and texting - but allow the new digital billboards on the side of our roads! A billboard, by definition, is a distraction. How can they claim that distractions take lives and still allow flashing billboards? If this legislation does pass I am sure that local police will imitate our State Police tactics. They will set up traps on downhill sections to get motorist that don't keep their foot on the brake. We have one local, wide, State road and they keep the speed limit at 35 mph down the one hill to the bottom and then go to 45 mph - there are no businesses or houses and no driveways on the side of this straight road. But that is where the police set up their traps. The uphill opposing lane has a 45 mph speed limit. Now, if they would consider raising the speed limit to the road's average speed and then going after motorist that exceeded that; then I might change my mind.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You are going to fear driving across your state because the local police can enforce the law? Really? My thoughts are you are silly and over reacting.
The traffic on any given road in PA is probably going 5 to 15 mph over the speed limit. Some of the people speeding along side of us are the ones responsible for enforcing our laws. However; the people that will pay for this legislation will be the ones that cannot afford fines and higher insurance cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania