Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ocean City, NJ vs. Bethany Beach, DE
Ocean City, NJ 5 71.43%
Bethany Beach, DE 2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2014, 08:59 AM

8 posts, read 29,135 times

Advertisements

Not being from Pittsburgh, originally, and with many of my family & friends living in very close proximity to Lake Michigan and also scattered around many inland lakes in MI and WI, I have never been to the shore/beach of the Mid-Atlantic for a summer vacation (gasp ..). I have been to the New England shoreline, Florida, Caribbean, but nowhere in between on the Atlantic coast.

Now that my kids are getting to be slightly better car travelers , I'm getting a little more confident in trying something different. I'm thinking about booking a summer week-long rental in either NJ or DE. Plus, we'll already be in MI for a long weekend next month. Anyway, I have narrowed the search down to Ocean City, NJ or Bethany Beach, DE. Yes, I know it's getting late to book, but I found a promising-looking rental on North Bethany Beach and another on the "quiet end" (south of boardwalk) in Ocean City, New Jersey.

Any votes for one over the other?

Both locations are pretty appealing to me, but also seem pretty different. Also, each location appears to be approx. 350 miles from Pittsburgh. Traffic -- both in terms of getting to each spot & driving around while there -- is somewhat of a concern. Any insight about this? It might help me select one location over the other. I could see potential traffic snarls with each.

Most Pittsburghers I know go to the Outer Banks, but I don't think we're up for that kind of drive (as we sometimes split the 6-hour drive to Michigan into two days (ha!)..). Oh, also we have family in both the Baltimore and Philly areas, so we have thought about staying in either of these locales and doing either the DE or NJ leg of the journey early morning. (My youngest could set a world record for the most times the "Are we there yet?" question has been asked.

Lastly, my husband (native Pittsburgher) has very fond memories of going to Rehoboth with his family for a week every summer, but it's been 30 years ago since he's been there. Hmm, which town (probably neither, of course) would be like Rehoboth of 30 years ago? ...... Please don't tell me OBX .
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 10:51 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
I'm partial to Bethany, having grown up in Lower Delaware and knowing Rehoboth of 30 years ago very well. The traffic within an hour of Bethany will stink unless you time it right but Rehoboth itself hasn't changed as much as one would think, especially the board walk. My husband and I went down there two years ago and found many places still in their same location. Are you looking at a condo at Sea Colony? They're nice because they have pools, which is really refreshing after spending a day on the beach.

Ocean City is nice too, but I've only been there once. No, it's not like Rehoboth. The outer banks are not a bit like Rehoboth btw.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:23 AM

8 posts, read 29,135 times
Thanks! This is quite helpful. I didn't actually think Rehoboth and the Outer Banks would be similar at all, I was just under the impression that Rehoboth is probably much busier than it was decades ago. And I know that the Outer Banks has the reputation for being much quieter than Delaware beaches or Jersey Shore towns.

I am pleased to hear that the town of Rehoboth itself remains fairly unchanged. I was actually looking at places in Tower Shores in N. Bethany, as there is/was still some availability for oceanfront townhouses for a reasonable rate (thought that would be better than taking a tram to the ocean with a non-oceanfront rental @ Sea Colony).

Old 05-04-2014, 10:16 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neighborhoodsearch View Post
Thanks! This is quite helpful. I didn't actually think Rehoboth and the Outer Banks would be similar at all, I was just under the impression that Rehoboth is probably much busier than it was decades ago. And I know that the Outer Banks has the reputation for being much quieter than Delaware beaches or Jersey Shore towns.

I am pleased to hear that the town of Rehoboth itself remains fairly unchanged. I was actually looking at places in Tower Shores in N. Bethany, as there is/was still some availability for oceanfront townhouses for a reasonable rate (thought that would be better than taking a tram to the ocean with a non-oceanfront rental @ Sea Colony).
There are plenty of quiet Jersey Shore towns, they're not all like Seaside Heights and what you've probably heard thanks to Jersey Shore the TV show. Ocean City is a dry town, meaning you won't have that rowdy/drunk young crowd you'd find in Seaside, so it's much more family oriented. The Jersey Shore is extremely diverse in that sense. You DO actually have quiet, unspoiled beaches/beach towns, and of course the more fun ones, and the more rowdy, party towns. LBI towns, for example, are very residential and private feeling. There isn't much amusement, it's a lot of homeowners and renters down there and that's about it. Island Beach State Park is a completely undeveloped strip of natural barrier island with accessible bay and oceanfronts. No residences, no businesses, just beaches. The NJ shore has it all, which is why it's so great.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:38 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,028 times
Can't believe Bethany got so few votes. LOVE Bethany Beach, plus how can you pass up TAX FREE SHOPPING!!!??!?!

Old 05-05-2014, 02:25 AM

814 posts, read 2,042,917 times
JMHO but i believe the better boardwalk is in Ocean City NJ. In OCNJ you have lots of minnie golf plus two amusement parks and a water park with lots of great rides for young kids on the boardwalk

Old 05-09-2014, 05:25 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,688,437 times
Ocean City, NJ is a fantastic location for a family summer vacation. Their boardwalk will keep the kids well-entertained and it's safe! Will keep you and the wife entertained as well. Plenty of good restaurants in OC (Ocean City) as well.... as someone already mentioned OC is a dry-town so u wont find bars, clubs, etc. It's very fmily oriented, albeit crowded at high season. July and August

The beaches are nice there as well. It will also allow u to check out other beach towns in south Jersey as well. . Avalon and Stone Harbor are gorgeous, quaint beach towns....and upscale. Cape May is so cute u and ur wife and kids will love it. Very ideal. . .

I think Jersey beaches IMO are nicer than Delaware's.

I've been to both and have been to both many many times. I'm from Philly.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:59 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,079 times
I know some NJ beaches charge a fee to be on them. Is Ocean City one of them? If so, how much for a week? Might make a difference to the OP. (Or at least avoid an unpleasant surprise.)

Rehoboth Beach is still a wonderful family beach town. But parking is a major issue. If you are really considering Rehoboth, you're best off if you can find a place to park your car for the week and walk everywhere. Only you know if that's a block from the beach or six blocks.

The Rehoboth Boardwalk is quite a bit bigger than the Bethany Boardwalk. On the boardwalk is an amusement park called Fun Land that is perfect for the under-10 set, and the tickets are very, very reasonably priced. (Just guessing at your kids' ages.)

Sea Colony has a couple distinct advantages for families, despite the shuttle situation if you're west of Route 1. First, there are pools. If the ocean is rough or has jellyfish, the pools can be a godsend. Second, there are other recreational facilities -- fitness centers, playgrounds, tennis courts.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:57 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
I know some NJ beaches charge a fee to be on them. Is Ocean City one of them? If so, how much for a week? Might make a difference to the OP. (Or at least avoid an unpleasant surprise.)
I think only Wildwood and Atlantic City don't charge a fee. Every place I've rented at the NJ shore provided tags, usually four. Children under 12 don't need one.

Beach Fees

Old 05-13-2014, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 9,270 times
My family has been going to Bethany Beach for over almost 30 years. We go for the third week in July for Sat-Sat.

PLENTY to do. I've done it all growing up and now the next generation of kids in our family is enjoying it.

Bethany West is a nice development full of rentals. Book early. It's a 3 minute drive to one of the side streets in front of the boardwalk. Most of the rental houses come with 2 parking passess each. Get here around 9:30-10 and you won't have an issue parking or getting a nice spot on the beach. The more expensive route is right on the water, or the houses behind the oceanfront ones in South Bethany are best priced. The good part about that is coming in for lunch and the bathroom, or taking a break from the sun when needed. You can also walk to and from the beach at night and have the kids search for ghost crabs.

After the beach and dinner, you've got the Bethany Beach Boardwalk. Plenty of shops to walk through, and usually a band playing. Fly a kite while you're there at night!

Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk 20 miles away. Kids will love Funland.

Ocean City Boardwalk is another good spot at night. Endless t-shirt shops to stop through, an amusement park at the end of it (although it's a bit pricey).

You've got mini-golf spots in either Rehoboth or just as you enter Ocean City. There are a few go-kart places as well.

Kids love Grotto Pizza, so that's a place we go once a year. Some of them have arcades that the kids can play in while you wait for food or afterwards. Again, a bit pricey, but that's to be expected.

On a rainy day, you've got movie theatres in OC or Rehoboth, and the factory outlets in Rehoboth. Rebok, Nike, Aero, all the good names at decent prices. I do all my back to school shopping there every year. Tax free! Just a few miles from Bethany is Fenwick Island on Route 1. They have a great Country store I live to visit.

Bethany is an old christian town. You can't get beer after 10pm and there are no bars.

As for the drive, I drive 400 miles from NY. It takes me about 7 hours. Just get it over with and don't think about the drive. It really isn't that bad and it's over before you know it. The anticipation of getting to the beach is more than enough to keep you occupied.

All in all, it's very enjoyable and enough activities to keep the kids exhausted on the way back to the beach house at night. The more you go, the easier it gets. Hope I was helpful!

Last edited by togaguy85; 05-13-2014 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania