Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do Pennsylvanians perceive the Philadelphia region?
Great asset. Wish I lived there 16 48.48%
Hate it. Wish it were not part of my state 8 24.24%
Meh Not proud or embarrassed that its part of Pennsylvania 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:42 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
well regardless of our rivalries.... we're still all Pennsylvanians.. whether from Philly or Sh!ttsburgh
Typical immature and low IQ fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 09:50 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Yet you always have to make comments about how Pittsburgh falls short. I have no problem with Philly at all and think that it has some awesome neighborhoods and things but I'm tired of a few people and their need to think because Pittsburgh isn't a city of millions of people it doesn't have great things in it. BTW with companies, what do you think PNC, PPG, American Eagle, US Steel, and many others are?
Great companies. I was just saying Pittsburgh doesn't have companies to match Comcast, AmerisourceBergen and Sunoco because of their sheer amount of revenue.

PNC would equal Vanguard
PPG would equal FMC
American Eagle would equal Urban Outfitters
US Steel would equal Crown Holdings

Old 05-09-2014, 10:38 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,605 times
So, regarding the actual topic of this thread. Before I moved to Philadelphia in 1990, I had a very mixed view of the city. (Grew up in Lebanon County). I liked the colonial stuff. The first time I ever saw Society Hill I thought it was the most amazing neighborhood I had ever seen. I remember not liking Chestnut Street. It seemed too narrow and many of the buildings seemed too big for the street's width. This was back when it was a transit way. South street impressed me at the time (all this was the late 80's).

When I was younger, in the 70's, I always noticed how, coming in on 76, the elevation would gradually get lower, so you were literally driving "down" into the city. I always thought the art museum looked evil and foreboding largely due to the doodads on the points on the roof. The city seemed too busy, crowded and impersonal. Kind of grimy. Coming from a lily white area, the number of black people stood out to me. It was all very intimidating. I vaguely remember hearing news reports about Mayor Rizzo, who seemed like a tough, mean guy to me. I applied that impression to the entire city. So I guess my earliest impressions of the city were bad. None of the adults I knew had anything nice to say about it, and quite frankly part of that was racial.

When I decided to move here (back to 1990 again) everyone in my family was surprised and asked why. None of them could begin to imagine somebody moving here by choice. They did not have a good impression of the city and thought I was making a terrible decision.

Now, younger members of my family come here regularly and they like it. Total change in their point of view from years ago.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:41 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I think Pittsburgh is a truly nice city and does things better than Philly: better at keeping middle class within the city, better at keeping crime at a moderate level, slightly better at attracting companies to the city on a per capita basis, and better at interacting with and maintaining the waterfront along the rivers than Philly.

Why can't Pittsburgh posters admit that Philly is a nice city with a lot to offer and does things better than Philly as well?

Again, the day we work together to get what we want in Harrisburg is the day we see both a better Philly and a better Pitt.
I am a Pittsburgh poster and I gave positive reviews concerning Philadelphia. There are a few other Pittsburgh posters that did the same. It appears we as a collective group let one particular poster derail the entire thread. Now this thread has been reduced to petty ignorant insults.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:58 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Hahaha Philadelphia's renaissance is much more profound than Pittsburgh's. There is a huge construction boom in Philadelphia right now. The population is growing, entire neighborhoods are being rebuilt, jobs and people are moving back to the city. New parks are being built. Retailers/shops are moving into Center City. Clearly you're not aware how much construction is happening in Philadelphia? It is tenfold the times of what is happening in Pittsburgh.

Center City is seeing much more population and job growth than Downtown Pittsburgh. University City will probably surpass Oakland as the third largest business district in the state in the next year or two. And the growth of the Navy Yard is double that of Bakery Square.
Bakery Square is a one all plot of land and not a neighborhood. Compare the Navy Yard to East Liberty. There you will find 1000 new apartment in various stages of development. Retailers such as Target, West Elm, Wholefoods, Anthropology, Wholefoods, Trader Joes, TRIM, and many others. All of this development is contained in a small area and built around the East Liberty MLK busway. The busway stop itself will be tranformed into a transportation center that is better oriented to the community. I did not mention the Ace and Indigo hotels.

Pittsburgh urban parks and parklets are beautiful as well. Pittsburghs transformation is on going as well.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:27 PM

47 posts, read 79,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
well regardless of our rivalries.... we're still all Pennsylvanians.. whether from Philly or Sh!ttsburgh
pennsylvanians don't live in either of those cities.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:08 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh1975 View Post
pennsylvanians don't live in either of those cities.
What do you mean?

Old 05-11-2014, 08:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
"Many states" being (from the link) New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, Ohio or Illinois.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Also, can we please get over the whole "BUT I CAN'T BUY A SIX-PACK IN THE GROCERY STORE!!" thing? First of all, that's no longer true in many places, and second of all, if your biggest gripe in the world is about access to alcohol, then your life needs some perspective.
Much as I think PA's alcohol system is crazy, I agree!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:33 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Bakery Square is a one all plot of land and not a neighborhood. Compare the Navy Yard to East Liberty. There you will find 1000 new apartment in various stages of development. Retailers such as Target, West Elm, Wholefoods, Anthropology, Wholefoods, Trader Joes, TRIM, and many others. All of this development is contained in a small area and built around the East Liberty MLK busway. The busway stop itself will be tranformed into a transportation center that is better oriented to the community. I did not mention the Ace and Indigo hotels.

Pittsburgh urban parks and parklets are beautiful as well. Pittsburghs transformation is on going as well.
I think you're confused. The Navy Yard is EXACTLY like Bakery Square. You don't seem too familiar with the Navy Yard or Philadelphia if you're calling the Navy Yard a neighborhood. It is simply a new business district sprouting out of the abandoned segment of the old Navy Yard in South Philadelphia. Funny you mention Anthropology. Their corporate headquarters (Urban Outfitters) is based in the Navy Yard here in Philadelphia.

A better comparison to East Liberty would probably be Northern Liberties or somewhere in Northwest Philly.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:05 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
I think you're confused. The Navy Yard is EXACTLY like Bakery Square. You don't seem too familiar with the Navy Yard or Philadelphia if you're calling the Navy Yard a neighborhood. It is simply a new business district sprouting out of the abandoned segment of the old Navy Yard in South Philadelphia. Funny you mention Anthropology. Their corporate headquarters (Urban Outfitters) is based in the Navy Yard here in Philadelphia.

A better comparison to East Liberty would probably be Northern Liberties or somewhere in Northwest Philly.
Bakery Square is more like Bakery Square and not much like the Navy Yard (not sure Pittsburgh has an equivalent to the Navy Yard. there is one hotel in the navy yard and no residential. you do realize where bakery square in Pittsburgh is located don't you? it actually shares very little in common with the navy yard imo. is bakery square in pittsburgh a KOZ site?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania