Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:39 AM

72 posts, read 294,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan92870 View Post
Thanks for the info DJBowlin. Yeah the winters and slow pace of life will probably be the hardest things to adapt to, but thats what we are looking for.

Yes, winters will take some getting used to. As far as pace of life, I wouldn't say it's all that much slower than Southern CA. The Reading area is pretty typical in terms of a Northeastern pace of life (fast and impatient). Of course it's not as bad as Philadelphia, New York, or Boston. I've been to Southern California several times, and even considering the terrible traffic, I found that drivers were actually quite polite and considerate, in comparison to what I've experienced in the Northeast. I'm in the South now, which I think is the worst in terms of pace of life. I've never seen so many people going under the speed limit in the left lane of a major highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisatDuke View Post
I'm in the South now, which I think is the worst in terms of pace of life. I've never seen so many people going under the speed limit in the left lane of a major highway.
You my friend have just made me register for an account on here. I found the above comment to be hilarious.
I too am from the north but left MD in 1998 when I joined the military and was stationed in NC and now in FL. I thought NC was bad also and then I moved to FL....WOW, nobody can drive the speed limit around here and no one understands what the left lane is there for. I have never seen so many accidents in all my life. It's like they don't get the whole driving thing...I just don't understand it. But in May my husband and I are about to head back up to the Reading/Pottstown PA area (the reason why I've been looking on here) and we couldn't be more excited. Thanks for making my day!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:51 AM

7 posts, read 22,042 times
Default Apples and Oranges

I am a native of Southern California and lived in Pennsylvania for many years. You can not compare the two places. You will find pros and cons for both places. Traffic will be better in Pennsylvania. I try not to compare areas but look at each one as a chance to learn what is good, interesting and appealing in each area and it's people. I try to learn about local customs, history, culture and foods. Even the linguistics are interesting. Give yourself time to get to know an area and make friends. If it doesn't work out there are always new places to relocate.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:17 AM

72 posts, read 294,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilibright View Post
You my friend have just made me register for an account on here. I found the above comment to be hilarious.
I too am from the north but left MD in 1998 when I joined the military and was stationed in NC and now in FL. I thought NC was bad also and then I moved to FL....WOW, nobody can drive the speed limit around here and no one understands what the left lane is there for. I have never seen so many accidents in all my life. It's like they don't get the whole driving thing...I just don't understand it. But in May my husband and I are about to head back up to the Reading/Pottstown PA area (the reason why I've been looking on here) and we couldn't be more excited. Thanks for making my day!
couldn't agree with you more. Some people love the laid back, more relaxed life....not for me. There's nothing worse than having a 10 minute conversation with the cashier at Target when there are 5 people in line. Maybe it's because I'm still young, or maybe it's just what I'm used to, but I like the faster pace of the Northeast.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:02 AM

14 posts, read 211,781 times
Dan92870 ,
I had a home in sinking spring township. 2 acres wooded lot. It was very peaceful and in wilson school district a very good one. I dont think work would be a problem neither. pm me I will give you a few names of realtors to contact to talk to. I know people from a few different real estate companies and can give you some info on them. I dont think its slow paced. Its what you make of it. If you like sitting out back on your deck bbqing then yes it can feel slow which who doesnt like that once in awhile? But if you like to also go out and do things there is alot in this area to do. Good luck with whatever you do.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisatDuke View Post
couldn't agree with you more. Some people love the laid back, more relaxed life....not for me. There's nothing worse than having a 10 minute conversation with the cashier at Target when there are 5 people in line. Maybe it's because I'm still young, or maybe it's just what I'm used to, but I like the faster pace of the Northeast.
It's so good to know there's people out there who know what I'm going through, I mean I consider myself a very nice person, but I find myself thinking (more often then not), why are you telling me about your family and your struggles and basically your whole life story, I DON'T KNOW YOU. All I want to do is pay for my things and go about my day. I'll say hi to people all day long, but please don't tell me your life story. It's amazing how different up north is from the south.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:23 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilibright View Post
It's so good to know there's people out there who know what I'm going through, I mean I consider myself a very nice person, but I find myself thinking (more often then not), why are you telling me about your family and your struggles and basically your whole life story, I DON'T KNOW YOU. All I want to do is pay for my things and go about my day. I'll say hi to people all day long, but please don't tell me your life story. It's amazing how different up north is from the south.
It's still here in the north. Just not in any town with a population over 1000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania