Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 03:23 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,960,223 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I've heard that Pike County is a good place to move. I am from NJ. Any info on Dingman Township or any other place would be great! I am floored by the prices of homes.....are the schools bad? Is it a nice place to live? Crime? My children go to awesome schools now - I would want the same for them when I move. What are the taxes like? Job Market? I'm an executive asst - hubby is Asst Parts Manager at Chevy Dealership? We currently make combined 100,000/yr. How much less do you think we'd make out there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 03:44 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Hi everyone! I've heard that Pike County is a good place to move. I am from NJ. Any info on Dingman Township or any other place would be great! I am floored by the prices of homes.....are the schools bad? Is it a nice place to live? Crime? My children go to awesome schools now - I would want the same for them when I move. What are the taxes like? Job Market? I'm an executive asst - hubby is Asst Parts Manager at Chevy Dealership? We currently make combined 100,000/yr. How much less do you think we'd make out there? Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
Hello again!

Pike County is the fastest-growing county out of the 67 counties in PA, but it still retains mostly a rural character. Route 209 runs along the Delaware River in the eastern side of the county and is the main link between Milford, the county seat, and East Stroudsburg, to the south, in neighboring Monroe County. Dingman Township is roughly halfway between Milford and East Stroudsburg, being perhaps 15-20 minutes from each. I-84 runs east/west through the northern half of the county and provides easy access to Port Jervis, NY, where you can take a train to NYC if you so chose. I-84 West for about 50 minutes will take you to the Scranton area. U.S. Route 6 runs through the northeastern part of the county and links the Hawley/Lake Wallenpaupack area to Milford and then onward to Matamoras. It is just outside of Matamoras in Westfall Township where you'll find Wal-Mart, KMart, Home Depot, Lowe's, Staples, and some other chain retailers and restaurants. I predict that retail corridor will be expanding in the coming years to include more options, such as a new shopping center with stores like Best Buy, Borders, etc., and possibly even a new indoor shopping mall at some point if Pike County's growth continues.

No. The schools aren't bad from what I've heard. Delaware Valley, which serves the Milford/Matamoras area, is supposedly very good. Wallenpaupack Area Schools, which serve Greentown and the western parts of the county are also supposedly very good. I don't know much about East Stroudsburg Area-North, which serves southern Pike County in the Bushkill, Lehman, and Porter Township areas. Crime isn't bad at all outside of a few gated communities that have had some "issues" as of late.

Jobs are rather scarce because Pike County is so rural. You might be able to commute 1/2 hour or so to Newton, NJ and find more work, and the Sparta/Hopatcong area wouldn't be far beyond that either. Alternately you could commute south to the East Stroudsburg area, but traffic along Route 209 between Bushkill and East Stroudsburg, especially through Marshalls Creek, can be hell.

Here is a reference map for the townships in Pike County. Dingmans Ferry straddles the border area between Dingman Township and Delaware Township. Bushkill sits in Lehman Township. Greentown is in Greene Township. I hope this helps a bit!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:23 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,960,223 times
Wow! Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania