Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 02:34 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,113,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmagnet View Post
Toll has thousands of reumes on file. If the start loking for people your husband may get a call. My advise however, stay clear of Toll. They are always looking for construction managers because the turnover for that position is very high. One construction manager for Toll Brothers has the same responsibility as three people for most other builders. You wear a lot of different hats and they don't compensate accordingly.
My husband worked for a big Pocono builder that has the same ethic toward thier construction managers (though they call them production superintendants) that you say Toll does. You can't compensate such a professional the same as you would a field supervisor. The big builders put all the profit in their pockets, while the people who really build thier homes suffer with too-low salaries that are not commensurate with their duties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 09:59 AM

7 posts, read 88,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
My husband worked for a big Pocono builder that has the same ethic toward thier construction managers (though they call them production superintendants) that you say Toll does. You can't compensate such a professional the same as you would a field supervisor. The big builders put all the profit in their pockets, while the people who really build thier homes suffer with too-low salaries that are not commensurate with their duties.
I spoke with a friend of mine at K. Hovnanian yesterday. They just laid off another 50 people. One woman had been there well over twenty years. In this market one has to be greatful just to have a job, period.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,238 times
Beware the Toll. We bought a new construction condo over a year ago (signed their one sided air tight contract). We were told closing would be in February, and here we are in late August with no home. When it didn't happen in February, they said March, when it didn't happen in March, they said April, and on and on. I understand delays happen, but at this point it is absolutely ridiculous. We even have a closing letter whose guaranteed closing date came and went. That piece of paper was apparently useless. They are the king of excuses - the delays are always someone else's fault. They refuse to take responsibility for their own actions. We have been staying on a friend's couch b/c we sold our home last year and lease was up on apartment we were temporarily renting this year. Atrocious customer service all around with Toll Brothers, complete with lie after lie. Did I mention over $42K in closing costs in NYC for a one bedroom condo?!! Of course they lie and tell you it's $28K right before they make the sale. Once they get the sale, they could care less about their "customers". I mean "suckers". Here's a company that truly deserves the credit rating downgrade and all the financial loss as of late.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 AM

7 posts, read 88,399 times
Talk to your attorney. Most builders give THEMSELVES plenty of slack when it comes to delivery dates. I don't know what Toll's contractual obligation is.

A better idea might be to go to the media. For Toll Brothers or any other large builder, bad PR is to be avoided at any cost.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:02 PM

31 posts, read 196,971 times
If I knew then, What I know now. I suggest you look on Realestatebook.com there are very nice homes that are newly built, and your able to negotitiate the price. You won't have to pay a construction loans interest rate while it's being built.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:50 AM

24 posts, read 74,038 times
Seems move negative on TOll than KHOV..there you go!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:37 PM

110 posts, read 261,589 times
Default Home builder referral

Could somebody give some references for home builders/architects in the chester county area.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,283 times
Default Greenville Overlook

Let me tell you a cautionary story about Toll Bros re: above development.

This development is in Wilmington, DE, within the 19808 zip code.

A new home appealed to me because there are not many of them in the immediate area. Also, Toll Bros homes have an aesthetic appeal to them, and, at least on paper, look to be structurally sound.

Over many hours, I met with the salesperson. We discussed every detail of the home, the sizes and specifics of each lot, and the process of purchasing a new home from Toll Bros. The salesperson assured me that this was a great investment and that my timing was perfect. When I specifically inquired about the prior use of the land, I was told that it was used as a 9-hole course (present lots built on this) and 18-hole course (future lots to be built on this) for many years. No further details were given.

Then, I found this...

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/whs/aw...5-07%20SEM.pdf

and this...

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/whs/aw...e_SFJ11017.pdf

and this...

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/whs/aw...3_21_07001.pdf

I happened to discover this information without any help from Toll Bros.

In my opinion, it is despicable that Toll Bros doesn't openly disclose this issue to prospective buyers. If the environmental issues were fully remediated (and, if they truly believe that to be the case), then they should proudly display a prominent notice in their sales office about this fact. The way they are going about it now falls short of full and truthful disclosure, in my opinion.

The First Amendment, said Judge Learned Hand, "presupposes that right conclusions are more likely to be gathered out of a multitude of tongues, than through any kind of authoritative selection. To many this is, and always will be, folly; but we have staked upon it our all."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania