Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 54,822 times

Advertisements

hi,

we are looking to buy a new construction in the chester county PA.
We've seen homes by Toll brothers and K.HOV. both look good.
Toll brother homes are highly priced and they dont negotiate at all.
K.Hov on the other hand are giving away so many incentives along with some
price reduction.

so ,Let me know if anyone has any experiences with any of these builders.

thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 02:32 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,112,974 times
K. HOV. has too many specs sitting on the market, and because this is a buyers market, they are offering these incentives to unload an overabundance of inventory. If this is something you are considering, do it before the tides turn, because it was just in the paper today about how things may be turning aorund. When that happens, say goodbye to incentives and price reductions.

Toll Brothers is a much bigger national builder, with way overpriced homes. They need to make every penny they can, because it was also in the paper yesterday that they have just reported losses this quarter. I don't see why they won't negotiate, just to help bring in needed revenue.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:53 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,716,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeHunt View Post
hi,

we are looking to buy a new construction in the chester county PA.
We've seen homes by Toll brothers and K.HOV. both look good.
Toll brother homes are highly priced and they dont negotiate at all.
K.Hov on the other hand are giving away so many incentives along with some
price reduction.

so ,Let me know if anyone has any experiences with any of these builders.

thanks,

Toll will negotiate...especially in this market. If their on-site says they don't negotiate, they are just trying to fatten their own commission.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:52 PM

16 posts, read 111,263 times
Hovnanian is less reputable, there are many complaints and their customer service (after you buy the home) is poor. Hovnanian is also likely to go bankrupt. (they give discounts because they have to sell to get cash to keep their business running)

Toll Brothers is highly reputable, they are pennsylvania based company with good management, they are known to satisfy customers even after issues are found in the home. They are the most financially stable of all builders. (they give smaller discounts because they are a quality builder and have strong cash positions). I know that the building standards of Toll are also better.

If I had a choice I would go with Toll anyday, its the difference between Sears and Macys.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:43 PM

213 posts, read 784,105 times
if you are getting nowhere with sales person, ask to speak to the project manager.
are you just shopping or serious, if not acting serious who would offer you a deal?

Old 01-10-2008, 04:38 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,001 times
I'm sorry,we bought a Toll Bros. home 7 months ago.Not until we moved in did we realize how cheaply it is made. They cut costs in everything! I personally would never recommend Toll!If the standards are better for Toll, I shudder to see the other companies houses! And we have talked to many,many people who feel the same.So many contractors we have talked to to do work in our house said that they would never work for Toll [or never again]One company told us they had sued Toll for trying to make them install counter tops in a way that would never hold up over time.Just today my husband was installing new shelves in the pantry.There was no framing in there so the dry wall is not even secured.Their homes are so over priced.Our house loses roof shingles every time there is strong wind.They came off right after the house was built and there was water damage.Please do not give Toll Broths. your money.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:42 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmith View Post
Hovnanian is less reputable, there are many complaints and their customer service (after you buy the home) is poor. Hovnanian is also likely to go bankrupt. (they give discounts because they have to sell to get cash to keep their business running)

Toll Brothers is highly reputable, they are pennsylvania based company with good management, they are known to satisfy customers even after issues are found in the home. They are the most financially stable of all builders. (they give smaller discounts because they are a quality builder and have strong cash positions). I know that the building standards of Toll are also better.

If I had a choice I would go with Toll anyday, its the difference between Sears and Macys.
Have you ever actually seen/been through or lived in a Toll Bros. house? They are not a quality builder by any stretch of the imagination!

Old 01-13-2008, 07:59 AM

7 posts, read 88,396 times
I have worked for both Toll Brothers and K. Hovnanian as a construction manager. They both build cheaply (minimum code standard) constructed homes. Toll Brothers builds a nicer looking home with better architectural details. But don't be fooled by thinking that Toll offers top notch quality. If you really want a well constructed home, hire a local reputable builder who does it the right way.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:49 PM

342 posts, read 1,793,351 times
Well, when we have been looking at different homes(new construction), Toll Brothers hardly seem like high quality houses. I thought the spec. homes we went through looked very cheap, but did not come with a cheap price tag. We were questioning them if something could be added to the great room ceiling. The site manager gave every reason in the book that it could not. My husband knew better. I said, it sounds as if you do not want to sell this house. Needless to say, we did not buy it. It did however, leave a bad taste in my mouth about Toll Brothers. Compared to other builders we have seen, they seem very expensive. If they refuse to negotiate in this market, they are crazy or bluffing.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:43 PM

11 posts, read 83,541 times
I absolutely HATE Toll homes...they are just built like junk...no wonder their company is loosing money...they deserve it. on the other hand, Khov builds lovely well constructed homes. if i was in the market and could afford to move...i'd pick one of those...never toll....no one i know who has lived in tollhouse has been satisfied...the company is too big and they build over priced shacks. hope this helps you...take another look and you will agree..it seems like you already have an eye for quality. be careful and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania