U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 01:47 PM

6 posts, read 98,879 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at relocating to Pennsylvania from Florida. My husband's company is in Reading, PA. My company is in downtown Philly, although I will only be in the office a few times a month. I’ve done a lot of research on Reading and it looks like a pretty frightening place. The crime seems to be really bad and I haven’t found a single person with a nice thing to say about the city. I do need to stay within a forty five minute to an hour drive from Reading though, so that my husband doesn’t have a ridiculous commute, especially in winter.

We do not have children, so schools aren’t really an issue, though they may be some day. We couldn’t care less whether our neighbors are farmers with beat up old pickup trucks or Mercedes driving white collar professionals. If I had to choose, we would prefer a nice working class, family oriented community with above average houses and schools. I would like to be relatively close to shopping and health care, and would like to stay within the areas that are not too rural (aka, the roads are plowed regularly in winter), but all that I need within a fifteen drive is a grocery store. We would however like to have at least an acre of land, so we don’t want to go too close to the city. What’s really important to me is to find an area that is safe.

We are looking for housing in the 500K range, but certainly wouldn’t mind a more affordable neighborhood. I’ve done some research on Norristown and Downingtown and both of those cities seem nice. It’s hard to tell till we get there and have a look around. We will be there in two weeks and are hoping to narrow down are search to a few neighborhoods to look at.

Can anyone give me a list of the very best and very worst areas in Bucks, Montgomery, Chester, Lehigh, Berks or Lancaster counties. Especially along Route 422, 30 or 76!

All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 02:19 PM

70 posts, read 73,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinaH View Post
My husband and I are looking at relocating to Pennsylvania from Florida. My husband's company is in Reading, PA. My company is in downtown Philly, although I will only be in the office a few times a month. I’ve done a lot of research on Reading and it looks like a pretty frightening place. The crime seems to be really bad and I haven’t found a single person with a nice thing to say about the city. I do need to stay within a forty five minute to an hour drive from Reading though, so that my husband doesn’t have a ridiculous commute, especially in winter.

We do not have children, so schools aren’t really an issue, though they may be some day. We couldn’t care less whether our neighbors are farmers with beat up old pickup trucks or Mercedes driving white collar professionals. If I had to choose, we would prefer a nice working class, family oriented community with above average houses and schools. I would like to be relatively close to shopping and health care, and would like to stay within the areas that are not too rural (aka, the roads are plowed regularly in winter), but all that I need within a fifteen drive is a grocery store. We would however like to have at least an acre of land, so we don’t want to go too close to the city. What’s really important to me is to find an area that is safe.

We are looking for housing in the 500K range, but certainly wouldn’t mind a more affordable neighborhood. I’ve done some research on Norristown and Downingtown and both of those cities seem nice. It’s hard to tell till we get there and have a look around. We will be there in two weeks and are hoping to narrow down are search to a few neighborhoods to look at.

Can anyone give me a list of the very best and very worst areas in Bucks, Montgomery, Chester, Lehigh, Berks or Lancaster counties. Especially along Route 422, 30 or 76!

Norristown is mostly ghetto, nix that one. Downington is lower middle class.
If you only go to Philly a few times a month, and don't mind the extra 10 miles drive, check out Collegeville, Oaks, Skippack, maybe Pennsburg or Harleysville. This puts you closer to Reading than Norristown. Collegeville borders 422. If you want to live in the sticks and want a bigger house/more property, try Exton, Morgantown, or Lionville. They are near I-176 which brings you up to the Reading area as well.

You're right, Reading has turned into something like the bad parts of Brooklyn. Probably because a lot of that town comes from NY ghetto areas.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:32 PM

222 posts, read 1,340,717 times
Try Pottstown Pa, its very nice, kind of rural and is not too too far away from shopping / health care.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:46 PM

35 posts, read 68,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinaH View Post

Honestly there aren't alot of bad areas in any ofthe counties you mentioned.
The bigger towns like Reading and Norristown are very old and dense but they are not the norm. You should love this general area of SE Pa.

I would recommend looking around the area south southeast of Pottstown. It may make for a slightly longer commute to Reading than Philly but its an area that real estate will hold its value and then some. It's the freshest
area of metro Philly with everything being first class. The northern side of Pottstown is still fairly undeveloped.

My personal favorite areas:

Pickering Valley/Charlestown/Phoenixville/Great Valley/King of Prussia
(Very pastural area of rolling hills and valleys.)

Chester Springs/Exton/Downingtown are a bit further south, more modern more of a buzz. Growing area.

Skippack/Collegeville/Trappe.

Gweynd Valley/Ambler/

Good luck I would take a ride from Exton up Route 100 to Pottstown and see how you like it. The area east of RT 100( Pickering valley Valley Forge etc)
is spectacular.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 37,997 times
Default K of P

I live in king of prussia and it has all the things that you mentioned...
we have great shopping because the King of Prussia Mall is the second largest in the U.S. (or maybe 3rd)
This is probably the safest town you'll ever be in... and there's great medical care, but the hospitals are mostly in the Philadelphia area.
Although it may seem busy because of all the local business-- especially the mall-- it isn't really. Small town... and definately family oriented. If you look at the statistics, mostly everything is above average... especially education (Upper Merion is a blue ribbon school)-- upper/middle middle class area

Old 11-09-2006, 05:27 AM

203 posts, read 1,198,075 times
I went to pick up an ebay purchase that direction. i could not believe all teh antique shops!!!!!

Old 11-09-2006, 07:59 AM

20 posts, read 144,726 times
Default Try around Morgantown, just south of Reading

Still very rural so you can get some land but only 15-20 minutes from Reading and right near the PA Tpk so Philly is less than an hour. It's a developing area with new Super Walmart and less than 30 minutes from the King of Prussia Mall too.
Stay away from the Pottstown area as RT 422 is a mess. It may look like a shorter distnce to Philly on a map but believe me it isn't a nice ride.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:03 AM

203 posts, read 1,198,075 times
A buddy of mine had a nice home in reading. he was unable to sell it due to teh tax assessment. so he ate quite a loss. im noticing this can happen in any town.

he ran into alot of crime in the city limits.

this guy can be sorta of a dram queen, so i let it go out the other ear.

in the end- he had a house built in Lewisburg. Last i heard he was doing well.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:21 AM

6 posts, read 98,879 times
Default Thanks

Thank you all for your replies. We have found a nice apartment complex in Thorndale, just a few minutes from Downingtown. We will stay there while we are looking for a house. Any comments on Thorndale?

Old 11-22-2006, 10:58 AM

4,927 posts, read 13,303,977 times
Thorndale is a very peaceful quiet rural area. Its not a bad choice .Very hilly + scenic. Personally I would want to be on the eastern side of Downington not west just because it would put you closer to the action of Exton , West Chester and King of Prussia. Downingtown is an older town with some limited shopping but I would recommend you checking out the Exton area for restaurants and shopping. West Chester is great small town not too far away.

On the positive side. If you really like Thorndale your housing dollars will go alot further out there. Its a bit too far out there to command the big prices. A new house that would cost $500,000 K in West Chester will cost $350,000-$375,000 in Thorndale because of its somewhat remote location.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania