Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 06:18 PM

13 posts, read 18,813 times

Advertisements

I was just offered a job in woodlawn MD. I don’t mind the commute to PA and I am looking at littlestown PA, Hanover PA and New freedom. Which town is best for a young family? I want a safe neighborhood with good schools. This would be our forever home and we are looking for a 3 bedroom for under 215k. I would like a drive under an hour preferably 35-40 mins. For those of you that know the area which is my best bet? I would like more country then city and decent snow removal on the roads so I don’t have to kill myself in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:29 PM

200 posts, read 619,869 times
The school district for New Freedom is pretty good and that will give you the shortest commute because it will be virtually all Interstate. 35-40 minutes is unrealistic, though. Without any traffic at all, you are looking at 45 minutes. At rush hour, you'll make an hour only on a really good morning. Evening it will be worse. The Baltimore beltway is typically very slow between I-795 and I-70.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:31 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifewithken View Post
I was just offered a job in woodlawn MD.
Have you been there?

Old 07-16-2014, 02:48 PM

I have been to woodlawn for the interview. I will work only 4 days a weeks so the drive is not going to kill me. I figured the traffic in South Hanover or Littletown would not be as bad as New freedom. Does any one make the drive? I figured I would check it out this weekend

Old 07-18-2014, 04:27 PM

121 posts, read 259,827 times
I don't think it would be too bad from Littlestown or any of the areas south of Hanover. The Baltimore Pike isn't free of traffic however, you will sit and its a road littered with red lights, it is not highway travel. If you're able to explore the area, try and drive it during rush hour and see how it goes. I used to commute down to Maryland (not Baltimore) 4 days a week using two lane roads, and it wasn't all that bad. But I have a high tolerance for commuting. There are some nice neighborhoods south of Hanover that would fit your bill. Honestly, you would have to worry more about Maryland when it comes to snow removal than PA, we are more on top of things with salting the roads than they are down there. I've had that problem once or twice.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:13 PM

I keep leaning towards littlestown or hanover due to the cheaper homes. Do you think the difference between Newfreedom and Hanover or Littlestown when it comes to driving would be about the same?

Old 07-20-2014, 12:11 AM

121 posts, read 259,827 times
That's the 64K question. You wouldn't be hitting any highway from Hanover or Littlestown until Owings Mills that's a pretty good chunk of non highway commuting, and I'll be honest I haven't driven down the Baltimore Pike in ages. New Freedom would be the safest bet in terms of predictability when it comes to commute times, cuz its all highway. Your times might fluctuate wildly going down from Hanover. Like I said, it would depend on your tolerance level for commuting. I don't think it would be that bad, but I don't want to give you bad advice either. Do the drive when you get a chance and see for yourself, that's the best advice I could give you.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:11 AM

200 posts, read 619,869 times
In the AM, 795 is usually pretty bad from Owings Mills to the beltway, and then on the beltway down to Woodlawn. In the afternoon, the beltway stinks the other way but 795 doesn't seem quite so bad. Look at traffic cameras during rush hour. You'll see.

Maybe a year-long rental in Owings Mills, or even in one of the PA towns would be a good idea before finding your forever home. You'll have a chance to settle in on the job, test the commutes, and get familiar with the areas. Owings Mills has a large selection of apartment complexes. And the PA towns have a lot of houses for rent for good prices.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:15 AM

How about taxes... Which town is going to take most of my money? I hear that the school taxes are a killer in some places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania