Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 AM

39 posts, read 112,881 times

Advertisements

Given the size of the state and its many remote parts, I'm wondering if there are many people like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 09:47 AM

703 posts, read 870,678 times
No, I've never met a 6-year-old kid who hasn't already been on an out-of-state vacation, which is a great sign that parents are waiting until they're more financially fit to have kids. Anyway, no I've never met anybody like that, and I know quite a few individuals from Pennsylvania. That seems rather impossible today as our social dynamic requires traveling for non-vacation reasons, too. I would hate the thought of somebody never leaving Pennsylvania. Somebody would have to take him or her on a road trip. This is, however, a duplicate thread.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:19 AM

39 posts, read 112,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
No, I've never met a 6-year-old kid who hasn't already been on an out-of-state vacation, which is a great sign that parents are waiting until they're more financially fit to have kids. Anyway, no I've never met anybody like that, and I know quite a few individuals from Pennsylvania. That seems rather impossible today as our social dynamic requires traveling for non-vacation reasons, too. I would hate the thought of somebody never leaving Pennsylvania. Somebody would have to take him or her on a road trip. This is, however, a duplicate thread.
Yes, I posted this thread as a duplicate of one in the general forum because someone suggested that PA has a lot of people like that. I figured that was too good to be true though.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Trip View Post
Yes, I posted this thread as a duplicate of one in the general forum because someone suggested that PA has a lot of people like that. I figured that was too good to be true though.
Well, if I were doing it that way, then I would try Texas. There are already threads about individuals not leaving states, and I believe some referred to individuals in Texas.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:46 AM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
There are plenty of people who have never left PA. Many went to high school with me in the 1960s/early 70s. Even I, who have been around and even moved to MD have only ever been in Philadelphia once in 60 years.

You get up to the more remote northern tier above I80 you will find people who've never been out of their tri-County area.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:49 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
Yes, I am currently living in Philly. I occasionally travel to Harrisburg area for business. And I met some folks further west of Harrisburg who had never been out of PA. Usually these are the types who are anti-change, red-neck-ish by circumstances. But once they know better, usually they change.
The asian stereotype runs rampant in this area and I had one technicians quit and his co workers reported to me that he was not comfortable having an asian as his supervisor. Now it might not be right, but that was what they told me.
Anyway some of the folks there told me that they had not been to New York City! (less than 2 hours drive)

Old 06-17-2014, 11:32 AM

87 posts, read 249,432 times
People are funny that way. I used to work with a woman from Brooklyn who swore that her parents had not been out of Brooklyn in over thirty years, and saw no reason to visit anyplace. I can't imagine living like that.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer71 View Post
People are funny that way. I used to work with a woman from Brooklyn who swore that her parents had not been out of Brooklyn in over thirty years, and saw no reason to visit anyplace. I can't imagine living like that.
I agree. It's not a good lifestyle, and I doubt they're happy to be honest.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:15 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
I agree. It's not a good lifestyle, and I doubt they're happy to be honest.

And you say this because? How, exactly, do you come to this conclusion?

Old 06-17-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And you say this because? How, exactly, do you come to this conclusion?
I'm not say that there aren't many thing to do in Brooklyn, but if you haven't left the Brookyln area in 30 years, then they definitely have a different way of living. Plus, most people I've witnessed who never went anywhere were usually not only sad/relatively lonely, but also had nothing to talk about other than gossip (small-town setting alert). They were never fun people. I don't know; I guess they could be happy, but I can't see how. Certainly odd to say the least...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania