Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:52 PM

20 posts, read 105,257 times

Advertisements

Bucks County is the best place to live in PA. Check out Quakertown, PA. Quakertown has a wonderful smalltown feel but is modern and convenient to everything. Great schools, some amazing communities. 5 minutes to the PA Turnpike and several other major roadways. Close to Philly and there are plenty of tech jobs all around the suburbs (I travel 20 minutes to Allentown for my programming job) Lots to do - State parks, Poconos, Jersey Shore, tons of organized sports for all ages. Great shopping close by. Great place for kids and families.

The best part is home prices are much more affordable than places like Doylestown and Southhampton and the other hoity hoods - but you're just down the street and you can enjoy all they have to offer without the overhead. Town is still growing and we love it here, can't think of any other place I'd rather be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 31,888 times
Bucks County = Short commute to Philadelphia, Allentown, Delaware, NE Philadelphia, and the Main Line. These are all hot IT areas, in fact, there are probably more IT jobs in this region than in any other part of the country! I used to work in King of Prussia and then in Willow Grove - easy commutes.

We're in Quakertown, PA in Bucks County. Quakertown is a charming, historical community but with all the modern conveniences. Schools are outstanding, ask any parent and you'll get amazing feedback. Convenient to everything, just off the turnpike entrance, Target and more in town.

The building boom created many new communities. But they have an "Open Space" program forcing builders to donate acres of land back to the community. There are gorgeous nature trails, parks, bicycle paths, open areas wound all through the communities. In general, home lots are larger than the surrounding areas. Alot for your money.

Most importantly, it seems that Quakertown is made for families. Giant parks for every interest you can imagine - including a giant wooded castle for kids and a skate park. Great sports clubs. YMCA. Pools. Lake Nockamixon right outside of town.

I think we're about 2.5 hours to NYC.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:27 PM

75 posts, read 352,064 times
SWB, I agree, the home prices are pretty high in Bucks. If you have the $ worth looking into.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 62,834 times
Hi,

What about the Matamoras area? How are the schools in that area?

Old 01-22-2008, 11:34 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
I'm a big public transit advocate, and I'll note Amtrak has fairly frequent service between Harrisburg and New York that takes about 3 to 3 1/2 hours one-way. Lancaster, another possibility for relocation that is relatively close to NYC, is also served by this route (as is Philadelphia of course). In addition to Amtrak, there also is daily, intercity bus service (Capitol Trailways/Bieber Tourways) between Harrisburg and New York that is cheap and takes about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

The Lehigh Valley (Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area), Reading, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre areas have very frequent bus service to/from NYC as well, on Trans-Bridge Bus Lines in the Lehigh Valley, Bieber Tourways in Reading, and Martz Trailways in northeast PA. Those trips are definitely less than 3 hours.

In general, most of the intermediate-sized metro areas south and east of the Appalachian Mountains within 3 hours of New York (ABE area, Reading, Lancaster, Harrisburg) are generally fairly nice (with some bad locations), have a fairly low cost of living, are doing pretty well economically, and have a decent amount of amenities, in addition to being close to New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and/or Washington. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre would also be alright for the most part but generally isn't as well off economically as the places south of the mountains.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:47 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,201 times
How about Lewisburg in Union County? They have:

1. Good schools
2. Affordable housing
3. Decent IT job sector with a commute of about 1 hour (Harrisburg)
4. Fairly close to NYC (About 3 hours along I-80)

Old 02-07-2008, 09:28 PM

22 posts, read 107,252 times
Check out the greater Reading area. Much closer to NYC and Philly than Harrisburg. It's only a 2hr 20 minute commute to NYC and about an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes to Philly. Wyomissing, Sinking Spring, West Lawn - great places to live, especially to raise kids. School districts there are superb.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 29,797 times
The wife and I live in Bronx NY and we are most likely going to move down to Bucks County. I hear people saying it is expensive but it is really not. We are looking at the following towns Levittown, Fairless Hills and Morrsville. The houses we have been looking at are around 280k to 325k. Way less then the 495k to 660k within the Jersey, Long Island, Westchester area. So my question is why are people saying it is expensive down their?

Go to google and put in Homes in Buck County PA click on the first link and enjoy.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:35 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,832 times
Levittown, Fairless Hills, and Morrisville are not expensive places. Try searching New Hope, Doylestown, Yardley, and Upper Makefield.

Plus, you have to remember that everything is relative. NYC is generally far more expensive than almost anywhere else in the US.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsizzle View Post
The wife and I live in Bronx NY and we are most likely going to move down to Bucks County. I hear people saying it is expensive but it is really not. We are looking at the following towns Levittown, Fairless Hills and Morrsville. The houses we have been looking at are around 280k to 325k. Way less then the 495k to 660k within the Jersey, Long Island, Westchester area. So my question is why are people saying it is expensive down their?

Go to google and put in Homes in Buck County PA click on the first link and enjoy.
People usually say that in reference to a comparison of housing prices in other areas of PA. The most expensive Pennsylvania real estate is definitely in the Philly suburbs, which is precisely the area you're looking in. However, in comparison to suburban areas outside of NYC, it's definitely logical that the real estate in this area seems like a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania