Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 70,570 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am moving soon to Gettysburg (job related move) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what areas to avoid. I have been looking for places to rent in and around Gettysburg. I am single and my job may have me coming home sometimes late in the evenings so I want to be in a place that I will feel safe. I would like to rent for now a nice apt or house that allows a small dog. Can anyone please tell me about the area? I visited there once last year and did fall in love with the Gettysburg area but I am not sure where to look for something to rent. Any information would be greatly appreciated..also I might have to on occassion float to York as needed. But, I will be working mainly in Gettysburg. I look forward to your replies..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 09:00 PM

53 posts, read 216,760 times
Default Places in G'burg

Washington street and Breckenridge is a little dicey but really G'burg isn't that bad. Carroll Valley and Fairfield has some rentals. Again, there is crime but its freakin G'burg... I'm more scared of a crazed buck chasing me than getting mugged.

John

Old 12-23-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Thank you John

Thank you for your reply..I will check out the places that you mentioned to rent and will watch out for crazed deer. Are there alot of deer there? I will be moving from the mountains where we have alot of black bear..and those are not too friendly either should one happen upon them while hiking. :-) Do they keep the roads fairly cleared during snow storms? And how is the power during snow storms..does it go out often? Where I live if it snows one inch we are without power for a couple of hours to a couple of days. Thank you...

Old 12-23-2007, 11:09 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,178 times
Washington and Breckenridge is probably the worst area in the county, and it's still safer than most safe regions of major cities.

Other than that 2 square block area, there isn't much in the way of crime except isolated cases.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoontoPA View Post
Thank you for your reply..I will check out the places that you mentioned to rent and will watch out for crazed deer. Are there alot of deer there? I will be moving from the mountains where we have alot of black bear..and those are not too friendly either should one happen upon them while hiking. :-) Do they keep the roads fairly cleared during snow storms? And how is the power during snow storms..does it go out often? Where I live if it snows one inch we are without power for a couple of hours to a couple of days. Thank you...
Isn't as common at the moment as it was because of NPS (National Park Service) allowing hunting on the park to kill of the herds. We had a huge population to the point of starving themselves, so they brought in some trained skilled hunters, and the population has been dropping so the rate of deer accidents have gone down. Still pretty high.

Roads aren't bad from snow. First snow everyone remembers how to drive in it, so the 2nd snow is okay. Power during snow storms is not changed. Ice storms can cause damage but we don't get those that frequently. We can get up to on a regular year up to 6 inches in a storm, anything above that is relatively uncommon (every 2 or 3 years) and the power usually stays on for normal amounts.

On a side note, Adams county has one of the largest lyme's disease concentrations in the US. Learned that from the doctor when I went in with it.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:19 AM

I like to hike alot and browse shops. Plus, on occassions I like to eat out. Can you tell me more about the area. I know it has a lot of Civil War history are there any art museums.. I oil paint in my spare time..I checked the Carroll Valley area and Fairfield but have only come across a couple of places to rent. How is New Oxford or Biglerville to live in? Can you tell me the name of some local realtors that might also handle rentals. Sorry I am asking so many questions..

Old 12-23-2007, 11:24 AM

Lyme's disease isn't that the disease you get from ticks that are found on deer? So, I guess I'd have to be careful when hiking. We have a lot of ticks here too..sorry that you had that problem. One of my friends got that too and her recovery was very slow.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoontoPA View Post
I like to hike alot and browse shops. Plus, on occassions I like to eat out. Can you tell me more about the area. I know it has a lot of Civil War history are there any art museums.. I oil paint in my spare time..I checked the Carroll Valley area and Fairfield but have only come across a couple of places to rent. How is New Oxford or Biglerville to live in? Can you tell me the name of some local realtors that might also handle rentals. Sorry I am asking so many questions..
New Oxford isn't bad. The school isn't the best in the world socially, but the town is nice. Gettysburg has smaller shops more oriented towards civil war stuff, depending on what your into. Some have era clothing, some have the weapons and military gear, and others have tourist stuffs.

Biglerville is small (600 people), with it's main emphasis on orchard stuffs, be it apples, peaches, etc. (Apple Harvest is a massive festival which happens every year there). Other than that there isn't too much.

They are nice places though, don't get me wrong. Just don't expect metropolitan store-galore living. That goes for the whole county.

There are some smaller art stores, but nothing significant in the immediate area that I'm aware of, but that's not particularly my area of intrest.

I don't know anything about local realtors. Sorry...

I don't mind answering questions. That's why I joined these forums

And the lymes disease was caught early enough that I just had to take roughly 2 grams of amoxicillin a day for a few weeks. No long term effect from it though.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:35 PM

Thank you again for your reply and taking the time to answer some of my questions. I have no children in school so that is not an issue :-). Good to hear that you caught the lyme disease in time. Happy Holidays to you...and Happy New Year.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:03 PM

35 posts, read 149,210 times
Default Moving to Gettysburg / Adams County

Hi, I'm new to the forum, I am considering moving to Gettysburg from Los Angeles. I grew up in Ohio, and visited Gettysburg as a kid. I went back last year for a week and began to think that G-Burg might be the just the place I've been looking for to relocate. I'm a general contractor, journeyman cabinetmaker, and finish carpenter. Does anyone know what the construction business is like around Gettysburg and the surrounding areas? Is there a fair amount of remodeling going on? I also have considered the idea od starting a retail operation and making reproductions of 19th century cabinets, chairs and benches. Any thoughts or advice on this?
Thanks
-Woodbutcher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania