Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:00 AM

91 posts, read 100,387 times

Advertisements

I left almost 10 years ago and I miss the food(especially Pasquale's Pizza in West Hazleton), the fact that things were cheap(compared to my native NYC) and that nobody bothered me. I consider PA to be my adopted home state for I got used to a peaceful way of life although my time up there was short. I'm planning to move back sometime next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 10:19 AM

675 posts, read 645,234 times
I had to leave in 2009 for my native Southern California. During that time, I lived in the North Hills of Pittsburgh (Wexford, Allison Park).

Lately, I have been missing it, but I think not for anything specific, but just the general vibe. The people, the architecture, the culture. I like the blue collar thing, even if I wasn't raised that way.

I miss movies in Cranberry Twp. I miss Riverhounds and Pirates games. I miss the inbound entry into downtown. The bridges, convention center, PNC Park. I miss soccer matches at CMU. Gymnastics meets at Fitzgerald Field House.

I had several weekend trips to State College and Harrisburg, and miss both of those cities. Pennsylvania is quite a unified, yet still diverse, state.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:02 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
What I missed when I left, many, many years ago ... :

Lake Erie (except when I lived in Cleveland )
Inexpensive cost of living
Pulakos chocolates
The smell of concord grapes on a warm fall day

And as a newspaper reporter, I missed Pennsylvania's statutory 30-minute limit on executive sessions for publicly elected boards. Not sure if that statute is still in effect, but it sure was nice. Other states had no such limits, which sent school board meetings into the wee hours at times.

But you learn to appreciate the things specific to your new home, too. I didn't think I'd miss living along the Ohio River until one day, shortly before I returned to Pennsylvania, when I was walking along the river and the Delta Queen rolled by, calliope music blaring. Where else was I going to see and hear that?

Every place has its beauty, its benefits and its shortcomings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
In no particular order:

1. Presque Isle
7. Sponge Candy
9. Pepperoni balls and rolls
I miss these things and I still live in Pennsylvania. If someone in Erie would give me a job, I'd move back in a heartbeat. I'll never regret moving around, but after 37 years would be ready to make my peace with living in Erie.

Of course, if I move back, everyone I know will move to Florida. *sigh* Although, with climate change, that may not be necessary ...

Old 08-30-2014, 04:22 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,858,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I miss these things and I still live in Pennsylvania. If someone in Erie would give me a job, I'd move back in a heartbeat. I'll never regret moving around, but after 37 years would be ready to make my peace with living in Erie.

Of course, if I move back, everyone I know will move to Florida. *sigh* Although, with climate change, that may not be necessary ...
I have made Erie my home and even though I am from Pittsburgh, I am starting to fit in and enjoy being a local. I do love living in Erie and the summers and fall are amazing. The Erie job market is tough, but surprisingly it seems to be getting a little better and maybe you could land something writing for one of the universities in the area. I am pretty lucky that I get to travel around most areas of PA several times a year and I am actually headed to Philly again in the next few weeks and I am looking forward to the pretzels, water ices, and trying some new restaurants. One of the things I always missed when I was gone from PA was the diversity of what the state offered. Each area of the state is pretty different and it is nice to travel around within the same state and see so many different things and have the topography and area change so much. Lately, I have been exploring the Northern areas of PA and I have really enjoyed traveling to many of the smaller towns near the Allegheny National Forest.

Last edited by trackstar13; 08-30-2014 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-17-2014, 09:21 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,109 times
PA my native state, sorta a love/hate relationship with a list that is always evolving. I do get back often to visit relatives in Central PA, and I see some improvements but things in my part of PA evolve way too slow.

I miss:

-Central PA mountains, woods, creeks and rivers.
-Sept to Halloween, maybe up to the end of Christmas for the full holidays if it snows.
-That smell in the air when you go up into the mountains, trees, hemlocks and mountain air.
-That cool breeze you feel in the summer months coming out of caves and hollows.
-Some regional food
-2 lane country roads
-old historic places, Gettysburg
-History
-Wide open spaces
-Rolling Hills
-Smell of Manure and Dairy Farms lol

I don't miss:

-Lack of High Tech Jobs
-Some of the people and mentality that exists.
-Winters and Windchill
-Wearing layers
-Air Quality
-Driving in Winter
-Salt and Cinders
-Potholes
-Extreme dryness in the Winter
-Country Music
-Wearing my jacket in the mall
-Winter Wardrobe

Old 09-17-2014, 01:53 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times
Old time amusement parks like Lakemont and Knoebels.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:28 PM

7 posts, read 8,271 times
Wawa!

Old 11-26-2014, 07:37 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Free state park system
Food
Knoebels
Philadelphia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania