Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 10:11 AM

8 posts, read 12,543 times

Advertisements

So I lived in NYC all my life up until last April when my family moved to Dallas TX. I do like it out here but after some time i have come to learn that the heat is way to much then i thought it would be and the traffic is insane. I though nyc traffic was bad out here in Dallas is way worse even though they have more highways go figure lol. I like the cheap cost of real estate but i don't know if I can tolerate this traffic and heat for 10+ years or until my kids go to college. My fiance and I originally thought about Douglasville and we loved it at first. I just was hesitant cause i read some articles about racism in the schools out there. Plus Icould not find to much information talking about that it was only 2 google articles from a few years ago. I have two younger children and i am concerned about that. We're thinking of making the move out there and i just want to find more info about this area. Can anyone fill me in? We wanted a somewhat new house and have about $260k to spend on it. I loved the views out there and i thought i hated snow but to see some snow after it be 100+ everyday for the past 2 months would be a relief.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-02-2014 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: fixed typos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 03:52 PM

429 posts, read 718,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlny View Post
So I lived in NYC all my life up until last April when my family moved to Dallas TX. I do like it out here but after some time i have come to learn that the heat is way to much then i thought it would be and the traffic is insane. I though nyc traffic was bad out here in Dallas is way worse even though they have more highways go figure lol. I like the cheap cost of real estate but i don't know if I can tolerate this traffic and heat for 10+ years or until my kids go to college. My fiance and I originally thought about Douglasville and we loved it at first. I just was hesitant cause i read some articles about racism in the schools out there. Plus Icould not find to much information talking about that it was only 2 google articles from a few years ago. I have two younger children and i am concerned about that. We're thinking of making the move out there and i just want to find more info about this area. Can anyone fill me in? We wanted a somewhat new house and have about $260k to spend on it. I loved the views out there and i thought i hated snow but to see some snow after it be 100+ everyday for the past 2 months would be a relief.
I live in the Douglassville area, so I'll do what I can to help. First of all, will a potential move to Douglassville make for a good commute to your jobs? If you have to commute to Philadelphia daily your life will suck and you'll miss out on activities with your kids. Anyplace can have hellish commutes - depends where you're going.

If you can get a job transfer to within 1/2 hour of Douglassville, you would be in a pretty good place to raise your family. Daniel Boone School District has had some funding issues the last couple of years, but with a new superintendent of schools and some new school board members, things seem to be straightening out. (They were threatening to cut kindergarten and middle school band and some athletics, but things are being reinstated slowly - and they never DID cut kindergarten) Anyway, the drama has gone down and it is a pretty good school district. No racism that I've heard of. Largely white, but some other races. Kinda chill.

On the north/east end of Douglassville is the Boyertown School District. Very good school reputation. Very large school district. More predominately white. The Boyertown Area had some KKK activity 10-20 years ago and there was some discrimination that caused a huge backlash with people militantly TOLERANT marching to make sure people got the message that hate would not be acceptable.

Boyertown also has a REALLY strong youth baseball program. Go Bears!

Do you both have family in NY? You'll get to visit more frequently if you're living in Douglassville. (As a grandmother, with grandkids 3 hours away, that's a REAL plus. Thank God they're not in Texas!)

Yes, the area is bucolic, with hills & valleys, farms, French Creek State Park, Daniel Boone Homestead, shady green trees in the summer and snow in the winter. Get all 4 seasons here, about 3 months each. Last winter was much colder than normal, but this summer we only had a half-dozen days above 90, and none over 100. So the summer has been really, really splendid.

Schools are good. Houses are going to be smaller than in Texas, so you're giving up square footage if you move east. Zoning laws are strict, so that's different from Texas, but you are less likely to be stuck with a neighbor doing something nasty next door, and you having no recourse. There are pluses and minuses, and I hear Texas can be lovely. Good luck in your decision.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-02-2014 at 05:40 AM..

Old 09-02-2014, 03:59 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
There's no racism in Douglassville schools or anywhere else. The closest racism you'd find is Philadelphia, but that " knockout game" crap occurs in other large cities so its not just a Philly thing. NYC has its share, too.
$260 K would get you a nice house. Bur expect less house for more money if you start going east towards Montgomery County.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie Beanie View Post
I live in the Douglassville area, so I'll do what I can to help. First of all, will a potential move to Douglassville make for a good commute to your jobs? If you have to commute to Philadelphia daily your life will suck and you'll miss out on activities with your kids. Anyplace can have hellish commutes - depends where you're going.

If you can get a job transfer to within 1/2 hour of Douglassville, you would be in a pretty good place to raise your family. Daniel Boone School District has had some funding issues the last couple of years, but with a new superintendent of schools and some new school board members, things seem to be straightening out. (They were threatening to cut kindergarten and middle school band and some athletics, but things are being reinstated slowly - and they never DID cut kindergarten) Anyway, the drama has gone down and it is a pretty good school district. No racism that I've heard of. Largely white, but some other races. Kinda chill.

On the north/east end of Douglassville is the Boyertown School District. Very good school reputation. Very large school district. More predominately white. The Boyertown Area had some KKK activity 10-20 years ago and there was some discrimination that caused a huge backlash with people militantly TOLERANT marching to make sure people got the message that hate would not be acceptable.

Boyertown also has a REALLY strong youth baseball program. Go Bears!

Do you both have family in NY? You'll get to visit more frequently if you're living in Douglassville. (As a grandmother, with grandkids 3 hours away, that's a REAL plus. Thank God they're not in Texas!)

Yes, the area is bucolic, with hills & valleys, farms, French Creek State Park, Daniel Boone Homestead, shady green trees in the summer and snow in the winter. Get all 4 seasons here, about 3 months each. Last winter was much colder than normal, but this summer we only had a half-dozen days above 90, and none over 100. So the summer has been really, really splendid.

Schools are good. Houses are going to be smaller than in Texas, so you're giving up square footage if you move east. Zoning laws are strict, so that's different from Texas, but you are less likely to be stuck with a neighbor doing something nasty next door, and you having no recourse. There are pluses and minuses, and I hear Texas can be lovely. Good luck in your decision.
Yes she has all her family in NY and my parents are in ny but there thinking of moving to texas now lol. Im not 100% sure what i will do. All i know is the heat is way more serious then i though out here.
Not sure where i would work yet as i am unable to transfer. So i would basically have to look for a whole new job. I work in IT. Are there any other areas besides Philly that i can work that wont be to much of a trek?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:28 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
How did Douglasville get on your map? Just curious. The best part is riding 662 between 422 and 73.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
How did Douglasville get on your map? Just curious. The best part is riding 662 between 422 and 73.
Saw the area a while back and I loved it. Are there any area besides stroudsburg that is somewhat close to NYC where I can commute back and forth for work there. I know stroudsburg is a bad area and I have young kids so I want to make sure there safe at home and in school.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:43 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlny View Post
Saw the area a while back and I loved it. Are there any area besides stroudsburg that is somewhat close to NYC where I can commute back and forth for work there. I know stroudsburg is a bad area and I have young kids so I want to make sure there safe at home and in school.
Pennsylvania to NYC is a long commute, but there are roughly 60 buses per day from the Lehigh Valley that go to NYC. While most go to Port Authority via Lincoln Tunnel, about 6-8 buses per weekday go to Manhattan's downtown via Holland tunnel. There are two buses per weekday that stop at Jersey City.

Travel time varies depending on pickup location but is generally 2 hours each way.People try and sleep on the bus.

CENSUS STATISTICS
Northampton County out of 137,388 employed a total of 16,854 commute to New York or New Jersey further east than Warren County with 1,564 working in NYC.
Lehigh County out of 161,129 employed a total of 4,715 commute to New York or New Jersey further east than Warren County with 1,553 working in NYC.

Bus passes are sold by number of trips per month (10,15,20 round tripS) in a month.
15 round trip to be used in 30 days $28.82 per round trip
20 round trip to be used in 30 days $26.58 per round trip
It's important to realize that unlike train fares, these tickets are not PER MONTH, but you must use them in a certain period of time. A non commuter fare is $45.60 for a single round trip ticket, or $60 for cash to bus driver.

Ideally, you have a friend who will give you a bed and a shower for $30 so you can avoid the commute one day per week.

There are several places to pick up a bus, but the primary terminal is behind the Burger King 3105 Schoenersville Rd Bethlehem, PA 18017. Your vehicle can be safely left there at no charge as the lot is manned 24 hours per day.

There are numerous school districts that are good, but the Nazareth Area School District will give you the greatest selection of houses in your price range.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:06 AM

Ok so I am planning on making this move at the end of the month. I am just trying to get everything together. I will have to stay with relatives until i secure employment and a place. Initially i plan to work in nyc and live in stroudsburg or around the area. So can i expect to pay about $600 a month on the bus to nyc? Anybody know of any cheaper bus lines? Also can anyone recommend any good area not not far from these bus stops. I do not want to limit myself to stroudsburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania