U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 3rd Largest Metro in PA?
Allentown 18 56.25%
Scranton 2 6.25%
Harrisburg 5 15.63%
Lancaster 3 9.38%
York 0 0%
Reading 1 3.13%
Erie 1 3.13%
State College 1 3.13%
Johnstown 0 0%
Altoona 0 0%
New Castle 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:04 PM

10,107 posts, read 15,392,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I've randomly visited the city of West Chester for work last Spring. It was beautiful. Loved the downtown. Ate at "Mas" an amazing Mexican restuarant. Who knew in the middle of pennsylvanis is good mexican? lmao. but yeah west chester was hella chill, I could see it growing fast and its not far from that king of prussia mall, which is like a bonus.
actually, SW chester county used to be the ONLY place you could get good mexican in Pennsylvania. Mexicans have been working the mushroom farms for generations (some of them are now owned by mexican americans). not saying I'd blame you for not knowing that little piece of local history. west chester is also close to tax free DE.
clark park-you can literally walk from bethlehem into allentown, it's the same metro
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:06 PM

8,700 posts, read 13,282,568 times
West Chester is only about 20,000 people and has a land area of 1.8 square miles. I don't see it being able to get very large.

West Chester, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as very small cities go however, it's definitely awesome. I would put it right up there with Conshohocken which I think will grow faster than West Chester since it is in a slightly better location in between highways, in the middle of more wealth and a better job market, closer to Philadelphia, and access to public transit.

Conshohocken, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-07-2014, 09:12 PM

west chester's largest problem is transit access. despite being as densely populated as norristown, conshohocken, or upper darby the main transit route to center city is a grueling 80-90 min bus and el ride. wealth nor job access are issues as it's easy to get to KoP, great valley, 202 (obviously), and Delaware. it's fundamentally different than conshy though, it has a lot more old charm but a lot less vacant land for new housing. it's also a borough and not it's own metro

Old 10-07-2014, 11:44 PM

2,656 posts, read 3,436,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Metro. Is the question not clear/should I revise it?
It should be fine to leave it. I just noticed that the title of the thread was city and the title of the poll was metro.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:49 PM

31,630 posts, read 72,049,927 times
Although many of our state's medium-sized metropolitan areas are growing moderately, it makes sense that the Lehigh Valley (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton) will continue to remain third for a considerable time to come because it is so far ahead of the fourth-place region.

I do wonder if the Lehigh Valley will continue to lose its independent identity, though, as it is helplessly annexed as an exurb of both Philadelphia and NYC.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Although many of our state's medium-sized metropolitan areas are growing moderately, it makes sense that the Lehigh Valley (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton) will continue to remain third for a considerable time to come because it is so far ahead of the fourth-place region.

I do wonder if the Lehigh Valley will continue to lose its independent identity, though, as it is helplessly annexed as an exurb of both Philadelphia and NYC.
it has always been a feeder region for those two cities. it used cheap coal to make steel to send to those two places. unlike scranton it does still have a functional regional economy of its own

Old 10-08-2014, 10:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,226,698 times
Cranberry.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:23 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 512,039 times
Why are Johnstown and New Castle available choices? These two are poster cities for decaying rust-belt wastelands. Their populations have been fleeing in masses for several decades. Furthermore, from the 2010 census: pop. of Johnstown 20,978, pop. of New Castle 23,128. These two towns are probably among the least likely to see any kind of pop. growth. In fact, it would be a miracle if the pop. of these two were to hold at their current levels.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:28 AM

4,150 posts, read 4,248,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
Why are Johnstown and New Castle available choices? These two are poster cities for decaying rust-belt wastelands. Their populations have been fleeing in masses for several decades. Furthermore, from the 2010 census: pop. of Johnstown 20,978, pop. of New Castle 23,128. These two towns are probably among the least likely to see any kind of pop. growth. In fact, it would be a miracle if the pop. of these two were to hold at their current levels.
I included all metros in the state whether if they are performing well or not. I'm just surprised new castle got a vote.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:13 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I included all metros in the state whether if they are performing well or not. I'm just surprised new castle got a vote.
New Castle is not a metro... it is a Micropolitan Area.

You forgot two metros... Lebanon and Williamsport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania