Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 7,213 times

Advertisements

Hi.. We are looking to buy a home with a little land in PA. Does anyone have any suggestions? We want our kids to be able to run outside and ride horses. We don't want to live in a place that isn't 'liberal' by that I mean we have adopted children of all races. Does anyone have any suggestions on a place to live in PA that is affordable and accepting of 'mixed' families?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 09:24 AM

203 posts, read 1,256,153 times
Sunbury. but avoid Shamokin.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:18 PM

31 posts, read 186,120 times
what are the difference between the two? is one not safe?

Old 11-12-2006, 08:22 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Are you considering all of PA (it's a large state!) or just 1-2 particular regions?

Old 11-12-2006, 08:40 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Smile Rural PA + "Liberal" = Culture Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2 View Post
Hi.. We are looking to buy a home with a little land in PA. Does anyone have any suggestions? We want our kids to be able to run outside and ride horses. We don't want to live in a place that isn't 'liberal' by that I mean we have adopted children of all races. Does anyone have any suggestions on a place to live in PA that is affordable and accepting of 'mixed' families?

Thanks!
Finding a rural portion of PA that is "Liberal" is going to be like trying to find one particular "John Smith" in the NYC phone book! It's a task that will be nearly impossible! Now, I can rattle off plenty of areas here in Northeastern Pennsylvania near quaint small towns that offer inexpensive real estate, relatively-low taxes, and will have plenty of beautiful scenery for years to come, but when you have to add "Liberal" or "open-minded" into the mix, the options dwindle down considerably.

Generally, PA's urban areas are extremely "blue" (Philly, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Scranton), and the rural areas are extremely "red." If anything, I'd recommend that you visit one of my upcoming reccommended towns for a weekend with your entire family and saunter around the Main Street in town to see if you'll elicit stares, glances, whispering, etc. or not from others. Here are eleven of my best suggestions in the Northeast quadrant of the state, which is the only part of the state I'm really familiar with:

-Honesdale/Wayne County
-Tunkhannock/Wyoming County
-Milford/Pike County
-Lewisburg/Union County
-Selinsgrove/Snyder County
-Moscow/Lackawanna County
-Sugarloaf/Luzerne County
-Back Mountain/Luzerne County
-Jim Thorpe/Carbon County
-Bloomsburg/Columbia County
-Danville/Montour County

Due to space limitations, I'll start to give you brief descriptions of each in a separate reply below within the next few hours. Best of luck!

Old 11-12-2006, 09:16 AM

Smile 1-3

Honesdale/Wayne County

Located in the extreme Northeast corner of our Commonwealth, Wayne County is probably the one county out of the four-county Pocono Mountain region that has yet to be tainted by at least some urban sprawl. Its location makes it just a bit too far for the daily PA-NJ/NYC commuter crowd that has devoured Monroe County to the south, so Wayne County should remain very pristine for some time to come. Now, a disadvantage to being "away from it all" is, of course, being away from it all! LOL! Trips to Scranton, the region's hub city, for shopping, sporting events, nightlife, etc. can take up to 40 minutes or so, possibly longer during harsh winter weather (Honesdale sits at an elevation of roughly 1,200 feet above sea level, if I'm not mistaken, so it can often be 36 degrees and raining in Scranton and 31 and snowing in Honesdale!)

I posted a photo tour of Historic Honesdale on this forum, which can be found here: //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...ight=HOnesdale
There are plenty of working farms and large parcels of land that have been passed down from generation to generation of family members within a 5-mile radius of Honesdale. If anything, the towns I'd most recommend would be Waymart or South Canaan, about midway between Carbondale and Honesdale, as they still have a rural, woodsy character while being much more convenient to Scranton. Overall, Wayne County tends to be quite Conservative, which is its only drawback. As I said earlier, if Wayne County looks like it may be appealing to you, then stay for a weekend to scour the county and see how your family will be treated at local restaurants, mom-and-pop stores, gas stations, etc. It's one thing for some nerdy 20-year-old guy to tell you about an area, but it's another thing entirely to experience an area firsthand!

Tunkhannock/Wyoming County

Pretty much a mirror image of Honesdale, Tunkhannock is another historic, quaint county seat full of mom-and-pop shops, Victorian architecture, and agricultural lands enveloping the countryside of town. As with Honesdale, I also snapped photos of this town as well: //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...ight=HOnesdale
Wyoming County sits roughly a half-hour northwest of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, the region's commercial hub, but can still be a brutal drive during wintry weather, as it's mostly a downhill drive from Wyoming County into the valley cities. I've heard many people complain about the narrow-mindedness of people in Wyoming County, and to some extent that reputation may be warranted, as the county's minority population is so low that it barely registers!

If I were to steer you into Wyoming County, my reccommendation would be the Factoryville/Nicholson/Lake Winola area in the eastern third of the county, as this area is home to a Liberal college (Keystone College), and the surrounding areas may likewise be home to a more tolerant population. It's also only about fifteen minutes or so from Factoryville to Clarks Summit, which is Scranton's largest suburb, with its own network of shopping and dining options. I'd definitely advise you to AVOID any place north and/or west of Tunkhannock, as these areas are bedrock rural/Conservative, and people here may never warm up to you fully without their hidden suspicions (Towns like Mehoopany, Meshoppen, Laceyville, etc.)

Milford/Pike County

Pike County is still a great place to raise a family, in my opinion, but it is quickly becoming a "commuter alternative to Monroe County" for white-collar families from NY/NJ who are fleeing outrageous housing prices in North Jersey, as well as the rising crime in Stroudsburg. As such, if you're fortunate enough to stumble upon a great deal for a large quantity of acreage in Pike County, then by all means have at it and hold onto it for dear life! One downside to Pike County, from my experiences, is that if you're looking for wide open ranges of open land for your family to roam on, you may not find it; as thick woodlands enshroud much of the county, and I wouldn't recommend you purchase a large parcel of land and then clear-cut the vegetation, as you may create water runoff problems for your downhill neighbors, as well as draw their ire for destroying so many trees (Most in Pike County are aware of Monroe County's sprawl issues just to the south and are steadfastly trying to pre-empt sprawl in any way possible before it becomes an issue!) As such, while Delaware Valley is a great school district, and Milford is a cute little artsy town, you may not have much luck finding available land that isn't dominated by foliage.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:18 AM

Smile 4 & 5

Lewisburg/Union County

I've only been to Lewisburg once before, but I truly fell in love with the town! Home to Bucknell University, Lewisburg is a "Liberal" haven amid a "Conservative" countryside, so your family might feel perfectly at home here. The town itself has a main drag lined with specialty shops, restaurants, etc., and has, for the most part, resisted urban sprawl. (Basically, the town is like a larger version of Honesdale, so just look at the pictures of Victorian Honesdale, double them, and throw in a few Liberals and a university, and you have Lewisburg!) Out of all of my possible options, this town is probably among my highest choices for you and your family. Unlike Pike County, which is mostly forested, Union County has a lot of agricultural lands and wide-open meadows for the taking, especially just to the west of Lewisburg. There are a few of those ugly "cookie-cutter" housing developments in some of the townships outside of town, but they're mostly hidden from view and don't stick out like sore thumbs. The town is located just off I-80, but it's still a bit of a drive to a "major" city---Williamsport, State College, or Harrisburg being the closest ones. If you had to whittle down my list a bit, I'd definitely keep Union County in play.

Selinsgrove/Snyder County

Located just south of Union County, Snyder County is very similar in character and composition. Also a college town (Susquehanna University), Selinsgrove benefits from the Liberal atmosphere infused into the town from the college's arts and cultural programs. My best childhood friend (who was ironically born on the same day, same hopsital, and just a few hours apart from me!), attends Susquehanna University, and he loves it out there. The only thing that keeps it below Lewisburg, in my opinion, is that its downtown didn't seem to be quite as nice as Lewisburg's when I visited. I also noticed some ugly sprawl in Snyder County, especially to the north of Selinsgrove along Highway 15. Snyder County is still a prime contender, but I'd put it a notch below Lewisburg. Since it's located in the Central Susquehanna Valley, there are likewise plenty of smooth, open spaces for your children and animals to roam freely.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:36 AM

Smile 6-8

Moscow/Lackawanna County

Hidden just twenty minutes south of the hustle and bustle of Scranton via I-380 is the charming country village of Moscow. Home to the highly-acclaimed North Pocono School District, the annual Moscow Country Fair, and various mom-and-pop stores hidden down narrow country lanes, the Moscow/North Pocono area of southern Lackawanna County would be an area that your children would love! Unfortunately, while I normally may have given this area my "top choice" for you to check out, I've recently learned that more sprawl is coming to the area in the form of a few new housing developments and a new Wal-Mart. The problem with Moscow is that it's no longer the "best kept secret" in the region; professional families from Scranton have now discovered it, as have families from NY/NJ looking for alternatives to Monroe County. Being just 20 minutes or so from both Scranton and Mount Pocono, Moscow is finally starting to get involved in a bit of a "squeeze play" of sorts, as growth pressures push in on both sides from the Poconos and Scranton. Nevertheless, if you can find a large parcel of available acreage, pounce on it, and you should be just fine. Bear in mind, however, that I only foresee property values in Moscow/North Pocono BOOMING in the upcoming years, so if Moscow interests you, the sooner you invest, the better.

Back Mountain/Luzerne County

In general, ditto Moscow. The Back Mountain will also soon be home to a new Wal-Mart, and housing developments here are popping up probably at the fastest rate in the region (Two brand new 100+ home subdivisions have just now gone underway). The only differences here are that the growth pressures in the Back Mountain are exclusively from Wilkes-Barre, whereas those in North Pocono come in the form of a double-whammy from Scranton and the Poconos. If anything, check out the following townships in the Back Mountain: Franklin, Exeter, Lake, Ross, Hunlock; the other townships are all currently falling victim to heavy sprawl and its accompanying traffic congestion and McMansion overcrowding. To get a better glimpse of what I mean when I talk about "Back Mountain Sprawl" check out two photo tours I posted: //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...Mountain+photo
//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...Mountain+photo
The gridlock on the 309 Freeway at rush-hour is horrific, and the number of downed trees everywhere brings tears to my eyes. Nevertheless, the area is probably amongst the most well-educated and Liberal in the region, so your family would have no trouble assimilating.

Sugarloaf/Luzerne County

Located just outside of Hazleton, Sugarloaf, and the Conyngham Valley in general, is a truly gorgeous place to call home! There are plenty of wide open spaces with room to roam, and urban sprawl, for the most part, has yet to seep in, with most of Hazleton's sprawl bleeding into nearby Drums. The Hazleton Area School District is awful; send your kids there at your own risk! Also, Hazleton has been all over the national media spotlight over the past few months for its anti-illegal immigration policies. Since then, thousands of Hispanics, legal and illegal alike, have fled the city---Where to exactly remains unknown (Possibly hiding out in Sugarloaf, among other nearby hamlets?) As such, there is a strong anti-Hispanic fervor sweeping Southern Luzerne County right now, so if your family at all resembles someone from Latin America, then I'd say steer clear!

Old 11-12-2006, 09:48 AM

Smile 9-11

Jim Thorpe/Carbon County

Jim Thorpe may very well be one of the best kept secrets in PA! The town, formerly known as "Mauch Chunk", and later renamed to honor the late prolific athlete, sits deep in the valley floor at the base of several large mountains that are prime for hiking, mountain biking, and the Lehigh River is nearby for excellent white-water rafting opportunities. The only issue I see here for you is that much of Carbon County seems to be very varied in topopgraphy---Steep mountains, deep valleys, rolling hills, etc., so, as with Pike County, the geography may not be the most conducive for having many wide open acres of grazing and riding opportunities. Carbon County, just as with Wayne County, is just slightly too far out of "commuting range" for the NY/NJ crowd, so it should remain untainted by urban sprawl for many years to come (the exception being the Palmerton area, which I can see facing growth pressures from the Lehigh Valley soon). It's also isolated from most major conveniences; the nearest "hub" cities of Wilkes-Barre or Allentown for needs are a bit of a drive.

Bloomsburg/Columbia County

Similar to Lewisburg and Selinsgrove, Bloomsburg is another Liberal college town in the Central Susquehanna Valley. Bloomsburg is fairly self-sufficient, with such conveniences just outside of town as the Columbia Mall, Panera Bread, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, etc., along with a main drag in town lined with specialty shops and eateries. Trips to Hazleton for shopping needs aren't necessary. The countryside surrounding town is tranquil and picturesque; bear in mind though the Susquehanna River floods frequently (complicated even further by increased runoff from the massive sprawl upriver in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre)---AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS! Generally, you can't go wrong in Columbia County, as long as you're weary of the flooding dangers.

Danville/Montour County

Wow! Finally! The last town! LOL! Danville is similar to character to Bloomsburg, Selinsgrove, and Lewisburg, except for the fact that it lacks a college, and is therefore a bit more "in-line" with the Conservative mindset of Central Pennsylvania. The town is home to the major Geisinger Medical Center, and it's also home to a quaint downtown atmosphere. It's convenient to I-80 and Bloomsburg, Muncy, or Lewisburg for shopping needs, yet it's still been rather untainted by urban sprawl. Once again, be weary of the river (That goes for Lewisburg too!)

Well, that was just my brief synopsis of these areas. If any seem appealing to you, just name them and I'll go a bit more in-depth if you'd like!

Old 11-13-2006, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,960 times
Hi, We too are looking to relocate to the poconos. We are currently in ct in what use to be a town with land and room. Every peice of land is being sold with houses being built up all around us. There are many great restaurants and shops etc. We have three children that would prefer to ride their dirt bikes, horseback ride , fish and hike. We are looking to move somewhere within three hour drive because our families live in CT. We are looking for at least 5 acres or more in a family friendly town within 20-30 min. from town and activites- movies, bowling etc. I have been told that Wallenpaupack school district has great schools taht are also "safe". You seem to really know the area please give us your input.
Thanks concerned mom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania