Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are You in Favor of a Statewide Public Smoking Ban?
Yes 83 62.41%
No 46 34.59%
I'm Not Sure 3 2.26%
I Don't Care 1 0.75%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:40 AM

188 posts, read 156,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
I knew that article would ruffle some feathers but that wasn't the intent.

I don't know of one person who ever died from or even had lung cancer.

Several years ago at my former place of employment, I went outside at break because it was a very nice day. A group of smokers were discussing a rash of cancer(but no lung), heart attacks and other diseases sweeping the employees. They realized that not one of those people ever smoked a day in their lives.

As I listened to their discussion, they talked about their own state of health. Even though many were in their late 50s and early 60s, they had no health issues. It seems the smokers were some of the healthier people in the facility.

There are several factors that can cause lung cancer, Radon is one and the government's above ground testing of nuclear weapons also contributed. The isotopes spread across the U.S.

I'm not advocating smoking. It does stink and makes a mess but I believe if people want to smoke, that's their decision and I'm not going to be in their face about it. I don't respect anyone any less if they do smoke. I'm not going to get paranoid about it. With all the brainwashing, smoking will eventually cease to exist.
Hey if you can accept someone elses smoke in your lungs, while your having a drink, or easting your dinner, than more power to you. I would have to go with the numbers on this one, and besides, I like the taste of my food without smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 07:46 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,751 times
This doesn't have to be such an extreme matter. If 20% of the population smokes, the state can offer "smoking licenses" to 20% of the businesses, while the other 80% go 100% smoke-free. If a certain bar in a town wants to allow smoking, they pay for the smoking license and so on. Decals on the establishment's doors would display whether or not they allow smoking and then both non smokers and smokers have places to go that they can enjoy themselves at. It's simple. Obviously places such as schools, libraries, municipal buildings, courthouses, hospitals, etc. would remain smoke free. This would just apply to bars and restaurants. I don't see why smoke free states didn't go with this option? It caters to non smokers with 80% of places being smoke free and would let business owners who want to allow smoking, apply for a special license to do so. It would similar to having a liquor license. That works fine.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:54 AM

188 posts, read 156,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
This doesn't have to be such an extreme matter. If 20% of the population smokes, the state can offer "smoking licenses" to 20% of the businesses, while the other 80% go 100% smoke-free. If a certain bar in a town wants to allow smoking, they pay for the smoking license and so on. Decals on the establishment's doors would display whether or not they allow smoking and then both non smokers and smokers have places to go that they can enjoy themselves at. It's simple. Obviously places such as schools, libraries, municipal buildings, courthouses, hospitals, etc. would remain smoke free. This would just apply to bars and restaurants. I don't see why smoke free states didn't go with this option? It caters to non smokers with 80% of places being smoke free and would let business owners who want to allow smoking, apply for a special license to do so. It would similar to having a liquor license. That works fine.
I like that. Lisa for Pres. Sorry Pat.

Make the license be hefty enough and use proceeds to contribute to something worthy.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
I knew that article would ruffle some feathers but that wasn't the intent.

I don't know of one person who ever died from or even had lung cancer.

There are several factors that can cause lung cancer, Radon is one and the government's above ground testing of nuclear weapons also contributed. The isotopes spread across the U.S.
I do know people who have died of lung cancer. Haven't you heard of Peter Jennings, the newscaster? Actor John Wayne? And many others who weren't famous. Smoking causes 80% of lung cancer.

I think anything that can be done to discourage smoking is a good thing.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:54 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I do know people who have died of lung cancer. Haven't you heard of Peter Jennings, the newscaster? Actor John Wayne? And many others who weren't famous. Smoking causes 80% of lung cancer.

The Straight Dope: Did John Wayne die of cancer caused by a radioactive movie set?

Old 01-12-2008, 09:18 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,751 times
Quote:

We can't rid society of everything that kills people. If we did, we have no guns, alcohol, fast food, bungee jumping, mountain climbing, NASCAR, prescription drugs, boating, cars, etc. But we can allow adults to make choices in their own lives and we can do the best we can to protect others from those choices. Making 80% of drinking/eating establishments smoke free would do just that.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:42 AM

19 posts, read 58,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
If 20% of the population smokes, the state can offer "smoking licenses" to 20% of the businesses, while the other 80% go 100% smoke-free. If a certain bar in a town wants to allow smoking, they pay for the smoking license and so on. Decals on the establishment's doors would display whether or not they allow smoking and then both non smokers and smokers have places to go that they can enjoy themselves at.
Wow, that's a great concept, but how do you determine what percentage of the population smokes?

Susquehannock, I apologize for my knee-jerk reaction. This is an emotional issue for me, but I think it's justifiably so. I did forget about Radon (and asbestos) but these were not factors in my family. My father was also pretty healthy - until a few years before they found the cancer. In his late 70s he began to cough terribly, and chest x-rays plus doctor's visits never found anything, until it was stage 3.

I'll also post a link concerning second-hand smoke. I believe this is a more reliable source than the citation you referenced:

Secondhand Smoke: Questions and Answers

Quote:
Does exposure to secondhand smoke cause cancer?
Yes. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the U.S. National Toxicology Program (NTP), the U.S. Surgeon General, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) have classified secondhand smoke as a known human carcinogen (cancer-causing agent) (1, 3, 5).
Inhaling secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in nonsmoking adults (4). Approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths occur each year among adult nonsmokers in the United States as a result of exposure to secondhand smoke (2). The Surgeon General estimates that living with a smoker increases a nonsmoker’s chances of developing lung cancer by 20 to 30 percent (4).
Some research suggests that secondhand smoke may increase the risk of breast cancer, nasal sinus cavity cancer, and nasopharyngeal cancer in adults, and leukemia, lymphoma, and brain tumors in children (4). Additional research is needed to learn whether a link exists between secondhand smoke exposure and these cancers. What are the other health effects of exposure to secondhand smoke?
Secondhand smoke causes disease and premature death in nonsmoking adults and children (4). Exposure to secondhand smoke irritates the airways and has immediate harmful effects on a person’s heart and blood vessels. It may increase the risk of heart disease by an estimated 25 to 30 percent (4). In the United States, secondhand smoke is thought to cause about 46,000 heart disease deaths each year (6). There may also be a link between exposure to secondhand smoke and the risk of stroke and hardening of the arteries; however, additional research is needed to confirm this link.
Children exposed to secondhand smoke are at an increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), ear infections, colds, pneumonia, bronchitis, and more severe asthma. Being exposed to secondhand smoke slows the growth of children’s lungs and can cause them to cough, wheeze, and feel breathless (4).

What is a safe level of secondhand smoke?
There is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Studies have shown that even low levels of secondhand smoke exposure can be harmful. The only way to fully protect nonsmokers from secondhand smoke exposure is to completely eliminate smoking in indoor spaces. Separating smokers from nonsmokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating buildings cannot completely eliminate secondhand smoke exposure (4).

Last edited by Friendly_Guy; 01-12-2008 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-12-2008, 09:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
As he was also a smoker, there is no way to know exactly what caused it. There are more reputable studies than that article that show that the effects of radon and cigarette smoking are additive.

Plus, I was responding to your assertion that you know of NO ONE who ever died of lung cancer. There is also Humphrey Bogart.

If a mere 13 wks of exposure on the set may have caused John Wayne's cancer, then we shouldn't expose employees to years and years of a known carcinogen.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-12-2008 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-12-2008, 09:55 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
I think on the surface establishments that allow smoking sound good but what about the workers? Even if they themselves smoke, they don't smoke 8 hours a day and that's what they would be subject to while they worked. Those of you that think smoking establishments are a good idea, would you like to work in a place that was smoky continously? yuck.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:16 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,206 times
Quote:
As he was also a smoker, there is no way to know exactly what caused it. There are more reputable studies than that article that show that the effects of radon and cigarette smoking are additive.

Plus, I was responding to your assertion that you know of NO ONE who ever died of lung cancer. There is also Humphrey Bogart.

If a mere 13 wks of exposure on the set may have caused John Wayne's cancer, then we shouldn't expose employees to years and years of a known carcinogen.
I don't know anyone PERSONALLY who died of lung cancer. That was the question I was asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania