Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 11:21 AM

60 posts, read 375,609 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why the gas prices in and around the Susq valley are sooooo high?

The prices in Baltimore County MD are now cheaper. Where as just a few months ago, and for the two years I have been here, it was the opposite.

Did PA enact a new tax recently?

I have seen the fact that demand is higher than supply, so I know why overall they are rising. But this sudden shift seems a little fishy. I used to think it was based upon cost of living for the area, i.e. why gas was more expensive in the places that are more expensive to live.

But when small town avg home price $200,000 has higher gas prices than Bustling suburb MD median home price 450,000... that just doesnt make sense.

I fell like the gouge is on.

There is a good site called gasbubby.com that can show the 'heat' map in terms of prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:44 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Blame it on our fathead tax-and-spend governor, Fast Eddie Rendell. He has doubled the state gas tax since taking office. The gas tax is supposed to pay for roads, yet our roads are as bad as ever. Yet Maryland has a lower gas tax and has immaculate roads. The more affluent and prospering states of NJ and MD both have cheaper gas than PA.

Rendell is a boil on the arse of the state of Pennsylvania. He never met a tax he didn't like, and we taxpayers never see any results from the higher taxes we pay.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:26 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Rendell is a boil on the arse of the state of Pennsylvania. He never met a tax he didn't like, and we taxpayers never see any results from the higher taxes we pay.
Sure, we see results!

Haven't you noticed 'Well Fed Ed's" expanding waistline?

Old 01-04-2008, 08:39 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,219 times
Quote:
Blame it on our fathead tax-and-spend governor, Fast Eddie Rendell. He has doubled the state gas tax since taking office. The gas tax is supposed to pay for roads, yet our roads are as bad as ever. Yet Maryland has a lower gas tax and has immaculate roads. The more affluent and prospering states of NJ and MD both have cheaper gas than PA.

Maryland has better roads because it's a much smaller state with a MUCH smaller infrastructure. Pennsylvania has more miles of roads then any other state in the country.

Plus, Maryland taxes the hell out of its residents.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:14 AM

60 posts, read 375,609 times
Living in both I can tell you the problem with the roads is that there are 46 local governments in York county alone (all the townships and boroughs) were MD has county governments.

The local governments choose what to spend money on and what not to. Obviosuly in PA its not on the roads. The fact that PA has a specific school tax is wonderful compared to MD. You pay into a lump tax in MD and the politicians use it for whatever they want, usually not the schools.

Just because MD is small doesnt mean it doesnt have a lot of paved area per square mile. There is definately more unspoiled land in PA. Its about people and area per sq mile. The difference is the tax base in PA is smaller based upon the amount of land, and the Cost of Living is less so there is less money to be had

The state gas tax would make sense for my question, but it seems as if the new year brought a new tax since the state trends reversed between MD and PA.

Thanks for the insight, I guess I could have googled any info but that doesnt always tell the story.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:23 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Pennsylvania has more miles of roads then any other state in the country.
There is no way that PA can have more miles of roads than much larger states like California and Texas. No way.

Your argument about Maryland being smaller shouldn't matter...they have less land size and less population, while PA has more land and more population. It should all work out in the end. Plus, Maryland's roads are more heavily-traveled overall...its much more dense than PA...you'd think MD's roads would take a beating from all of that traffic. While PA does not have very heavy traffic outside of Philly and Pittsburgh. All of those sparsely-traveled rural highways should be easy enough to keep in good shape.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,219 times
Quote:
There is no way that PA can have more miles of roads than much larger states like California and Texas. No way.

Your argument about Maryland being smaller shouldn't matter...they have less land size and less population, while PA has more land and more population. It should all work out in the end. Plus, Maryland's roads are more heavily-traveled overall...its much more dense than PA...you'd think MD's roads would take a beating from all of that traffic. While PA does not have very heavy traffic outside of Philly and Pittsburgh. All of those sparsely-traveled rural highways should be easy enough to keep in good shape.
Yes...way. Look it up.

And PA's rural roads take just as much of a beating from weather as traffic. I find it funny but sad driving through mountainous Central PA on all the useless four-lane roads that are perfectly paved...while the roads and mass transit systems in the state's larger metros crumble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania