Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:04 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,558,502 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that PA is out of site out of mind in the nation for the most part and especially internationally when talking about the United States. Even Pennsylvania's history seems to be out of site out of mind which I find surprising since PA was where the turning point of the civil war took place at Gettysburg. The Gettysburg Address, The signing of the Declaration of Independence, the drafting of the United States Constitution, we had the first Capital of the United States in Philadelphia, etc.

Today Pennsylvania has the 6th largest state economy in the union at $644 billion in 2013 with some projections having PA going over $700 billion in 2015. To put this in perspective PA's economy is larger than Poland's, Norway, Sweden, Iran, and we are either just above or below Switzerland depending on the source. In other words if PA was a country we would have 18th largest economy in the world. We are also the 6th most populous state in the union with a population of 12,702,379.

I got to ask do you think PA being out of site out of mind is because Pennsylvanians prefer to be quiet vs loud like other states such as California, New York, and Texas. We tend to be one of the more liked states in the union maybe because we are more quiet perhaps? Are we just legitimately unknown? Not so much to the rest of the country but to the rest of the world? It seems outside of the Amish and Philadelphia when I've talked to people from other countries they are completely clueless about our state. Or is Pennsylvania just ignored? When talking about the History of the United States I've seen people bring up New England and New York but in reality it was PA that had the moments that heavily defined our nation compared to New England or New York. Yet PA is hardly brought up. So I wonder if is it just plain ignorance on the part of other people.

Anyway with that all said do you think PA being out of site out of mind is a good thing or a bad thing? If it's a bad thing do you think the state should be more vocal? If not do you think the state should stay relatively not vocal or should we try to be even quieter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 02:57 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
well, if we're doing as well as you describe (and thanks for that info-didn't know most of it) somebody some where must have us in their sight. In a good way.

I think it's just a matter of focus. I'd bet that most people who say NY mean NYC. The rest of the state doesn't exist for them.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:50 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
I've never really thought about states being quiet or loud. Kind of a strange concept, as if States were people. I'd prefer actions to speak louder than words. When one hears about anything in the news now a days, it's not for a good thing, it's for a scandal. Most people are focused on their family and their local town/city and then their state when something is not going well.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:52 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
All the talk about the 2014 Republican sweep of the states' elections seems to ignore The Wolf Transition

Old 12-19-2014, 09:05 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Having grown up at a time (Late 50's early 60's) when Pennsylvania, or at least that portion north and West of US 22 / I-78 / I-81 was often cited as the classic example of a "depressed area" -- I can attest that the state has come a very long way.

But no thanks (at least, not yet) to Governor-elect Wolf and a large portion of the mentality that elected him; too much of the state is still heavily under the influence of people who see the "phony prosperity" of 1945-1970 as a result of the New Deal -- when in fact it came from the lack of serious economic competition from other parts of the world still in ruins. We cannot afford to return to economic ignorance, but a lot of safety valves have been tied down.

According to some friends and relatives of mine within the machinery of the Commonwealth, a spirit if bi-partisanship began to develop after the replacement of Gov. Milton Shapp by Gov. Richard Thornburgh, and continued to slowly evolve through several successive administrations involving both parties. Many of Gov. Corbett's appointees did not seem to grasp this, alienating many among the more-professional bi-partisan component, and a number of better-educated independents led the move to dump him; but they also allied themselves with the dim-bulbs who just don't get it -- and never will. It remains to be seen whether that spirit can be revived.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-19-2014 at 09:25 AM..

Old 12-19-2014, 03:26 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,853 times
After having moved from NY, it is interesting to see the different reactions of people when traveling abroad or out of state when you say you are visiting from Pennsylvania vs New York. People are a lot more receptive to Pennsylvania and some even comment on how underrated it is. When you say you are from NY, people immediately put their guard up like you are going to scam or yell at them.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
well, if we're doing as well as you describe (and thanks for that info-didn't know most of it) somebody some where must have us in their sight. In a good way.

I think it's just a matter of focus. I'd bet that most people who say NY mean NYC. The rest of the state doesn't exist for them.
A lot of the info is on wikipedia some of it is from other sites. We are actually doing well overall.

However our state government is doing really lousy at the moment. The state's growth rate could be higher then the estimated 2.9% and the constant state deficits do have a dragging effect on the state economy.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
According to some friends and relatives of mine within the machinery of the Commonwealth, a spirit if bi-partisanship began to develop after the replacement of Gov. Milton Shapp by Gov. Richard Thornburgh, and continued to slowly evolve through several successive administrations involving both parties. Many of Gov. Corbett's appointees did not seem to grasp this, alienating many among the more-professional bi-partisan component, and a number of better-educated independents led the move to dump him; but they also allied themselves with the dim-bulbs who just don't get it -- and never will. It remains to be seen whether that spirit can be revived.
Agreed. Regardless of your political affiliation PA can't be run like a blue state or a red state. PA is one of if not the most moderate states in the nation. Between the big two Philly and Pittsburgh and all of the rural areas and small cities like Harrisburg and Scranton you need bipartisanship to make PA work. Corbett did fail to grasp that when he came to power and that is a reason why he is the first one term governor in decades. Hopefully Wolf doesn't make that mistake and does work with the Republican controlled legislature. PA needs pragmatic leadership not ideological leadership.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
After having moved from NY, it is interesting to see the different reactions of people when traveling abroad or out of state when you say you are visiting from Pennsylvania vs New York. People are a lot more receptive to Pennsylvania and some even comment on how underrated it is. When you say you are from NY, people immediately put their guard up like you are going to scam or yell at them.
That's really do to New York being mentioned in the media more then PA as well as the differences in entertainment industry between the two. Whenever there is a most liked and disliked states poll done the states that get the most attention are always voted the most disliked. It's one of the reason why I wonder if it's better for PA to get more attention or if it's better PA to be off most peoples radar.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:09 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Amen to this. Before I moved to PA, living in IA, I got tired of explaining how the location in NY State where I grew up was further from NY City than they were from Chicago. Once I even said I was from PA as that was the closest neighboring state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania