Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 5,895 times

Advertisements

We are possibly moving to Coudersport later this year and I just have a few questions maybe someone can give me some insight on. Reading all of the post online I am getting the sense it is a great place to raise a family, school wise and recreation wise. My only concern would be how welcomed we would be. My husband and I are both bi-racial. I would just be concerned how we would be treated. I am not trying to make an assumption, but there are still prejudice people where we live in the southwest now. I really want to live in Coudersport. I hope that the response I get is that I am being silly and the world is past that. Also is there a website or listings somewhere for houses for sale by owner, or is it only through the realtors? I hope to hear from everyone soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 AM

511 posts, read 1,937,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama84 View Post
We are possibly moving to Coudersport later this year and I just have a few questions maybe someone can give me some insight on. Reading all of the post online I am getting the sense it is a great place to raise a family, school wise and recreation wise. My only concern would be how welcomed we would be. My husband and I are both bi-racial. I would just be concerned how we would be treated. I am not trying to make an assumption, but there are still prejudice people where we live in the southwest now. I really want to live in Coudersport. I hope that the response I get is that I am being silly and the world is past that. Also is there a website or listings somewhere for houses for sale by owner, or is it only through the realtors? I hope to hear from everyone soon!
I'm just being completely honest with you; we vacation in that area quite often, and I can tell you it is very behind the times. I'm sure the schools and the town itself are very safe, but these are very much back country folks. Employement isn't that great in that area either, unless you are moving there for a specific position. I know there is a hospital there.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 9,834 times
as the above post stated -coudy/potter co. is very rural and unchanging. not much employment - make sure you have a job before moving here. long drive to the malls and walmart - most in n.y.state where it is more expensive. altho its rural not necessarly cheaper to live here. real estate is best found thru a real estate office. visiting here can be nice - living here usually a major adjustment. winters are long/spring short/ summers nice / fall great

Old 01-15-2008, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 5,849 times
Default I live near Coudersport PA

Hi, I have lived in Potter County since 1980. I didn't go to Coudersport school though. I now live in between Coudy and Austin. My kids go to the Austin Area School. We are a very small community. Our school is the smallest in the state of PA. I am a school board member and involved with my community. I like the rural setting. The only shock to your system is getting use to the travel time to shop at Walmart. The closest for me is 40 to 45 min. Either to St. Marys PA , Bradford, PA or Olean NY. No longer have a large Sears or JCPenney store for appliances or tools you need to go to Dubois PA. 1 hour 1/2 away. I have adjusted to this just stock up. The winters sometimes get icy more a bother really than the snow. The roads get cleared off pretty well by the road crews. Summers are nice if you live where I do more in the woods you get to see alot of wildlife. We have 4-wheelers and snowmobiles. My kids like living here. The only real problems this area has is with jobs. There isn't enough companies willing to base here for long term.

If you would like any more info let me know. I hope this helps.

Austin Resident.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:27 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,195 times
mama84, to access realtors in that region, go to Coudy.Com - Coudersport Computing Club, Potter County info, and Web Design, and scroll down a little ways. You'll find a Links thread that will have about three or four local realtors listed. The names are Gods Country real estate, Stevenson, and Trails End, if I remember correctly. Good luck. It is beautiful country up there, and the total county population is approximately 5000 or so. That's it! We've thought about retiring there too.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:32 AM

222 posts, read 1,411,140 times
im white and my wife is asian, we have visited that area a few times. never had any problems there with anyone. there is limited employment. someone else had said it is unchanging. that might be true, as long as you dont move into the area and start complaining or trying to start trouble i dont think you'll have any trouble. potter, mckean and tioga have the higest percentage of white people in the state.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:50 PM

3 posts, read 12,614 times
There is one race...... the human race. You would be welcome here, if it were up to me. It's a great place to live. I was born in Coudersport and raised nearby.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:44 PM

12 posts, read 44,161 times
I Am Half Puerto Rican And Got Drunk In One Of The Local Bars Once, And Everyone Was Nice To Me

Old 02-27-2008, 06:08 AM

7 posts, read 22,046 times
Default Coudersport

Coudersport is a charming and lovely city. I have spent time there and to be honest, I haven't seen any diversity. I think it would be wise to spend a few days there to see for yourself how people would react. I know there are many good people there but they would not be the problem. I would hope that people would be welcoming and friendly and set an example for others and that could happen!
Moving is such a big decision it would probably be best to do a little trial run first. I would suggest asking a real estate company to line up a couple houses to see, (even if you really plan to rent) talk to the people living near the houses, talk to the schools and see what kind of respnse you get.
I myself, would enjoy living there. Good Luck!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 13,594 times
Default Speak for yourself...resident of Coudersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwscottie View Post
I'm just being completely honest with you; we vacation in that area quite often, and I can tell you it is very behind the times. I'm sure the schools and the town itself are very safe, but these are very much back country folks. Employement isn't that great in that area either, unless you are moving there for a specific position. I know there is a hospital there.
Speak for yourself, buddy...but we are not behind the times, you talk as if we just starting using tableware and indoor plumbing. I've lived here my whole life and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. The people are wonderful and would welcome anyone!! It's a safe place to raise your kids and the community is awesome. Speaking for myself, I rather like making a special day of going to walmart in Olean, and going out to lunch...it's a treat..and better than living in a town where we snub each other. We do need more jobs, but we'll pull through,...we always have. You can have you city, smoke, pollution, violence and non trust...I'll keep my behind-the-times-hillbilly butt right here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania