Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 05:25 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,200,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
..One thing,,it seems like Catholic churches rarely are small town oriented..

That is based upon an observation of many towns in Pennsylvania that peaked in population and economic strength BEFORE the era of large Catholic immigration to the commonwealth. Till this day, many of the towns don't have large Catholic communities.

The same observation could be made that small towns aren't oriented to black people either, because of the small AA populations in places like Kane or Dubois. But the facts are that those town peaked before large black migrations to the region either.

Its about economics and opportunity, not whether or not Catholicism is unsuited for small towns. Elsewhere, you'll find lots of small towns and rural areas in parts of America and the world where there are lots of Catholics. Just not in PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 02:42 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,599,911 times
Well, it depends on what part of PA though. In the coal region, you'll find a lot of Catholic Churches, which I think Schmo mentions in the OP. Further south toward PA Dutch country, you'll find more UCC and Lutherans, and of course Anabaptist faiths in Amish areas.

A lot of this depends on who settled there, from what region, and when. Irish immigrants who settle in coal country to work in the minds are of course going to be Irish Catholic. Areas with more German settlers tend toward Lutheran or similar faiths.

theres a large contingency of Baptists in the Clarks Summit area because, of course, there is a Baptist Bible Seminary and Summit University.

To address the OP and the different Catholic Churches in each town per nationality, remember that the church was once the cornerstone of the community, so of course it made sense for immigrants to have a church for their own nationality. That's unnecessary in 3rd and 4th generations and, as others have mentioned, the lack of priests and in some cases parishioners necessitate closing.

I recently returned to the Church despite some of my political leanings. Sometimes I do wish I could become a nun. College loans at the very least prevent me. I see a lot of younger folks at my particular church in Center City Philly (St. Patrick's) no matter what Mass I attend, so it's also possible that the flight of young professionals to urban areas for employment contributes to the dying population of Catholics in certain areas, especially the coal region which is chronically distressed.

I know I didn't really answer anything but just some thoughts...

Old 10-08-2015, 11:10 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,628,769 times
I was raised in "catholic Pennsylvania" and attended catholic school for 12 years... Local parish elementary school, which fed into a catholic high school.
Like many millennials, religion does not appeal to me. I don't practice catholicism anymore, nor do I have an interest. Actually, kinda glad to hear it's dying out.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:12 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,874,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I was raised in "catholic Pennsylvania" and attended catholic school for 12 years... Local parish elementary school, which fed into a catholic high school.
Like many millennials, religion does not appeal to me. I don't practice catholicism anymore, nor do I have an interest. Actually, kinda glad to hear it's dying out.
I'm not. Many people didn't care for Catholic school.
Some said they were harsh, others just didn't find religion important.
However, whey the Catholic parishes die out, like any other church, the neighborhood declines. The churches are a staple for the community in terms of resources, food, shelter, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania