Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:23 PM

90 posts, read 381,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfrancone View Post
Have gotten good feedback from a local realtor re Sky View Lake Estates. Quiet, very woodsy, lake, low dues, many lots available approx. 1/2 acre. It's not gated, and has very few ammenities. I personally don't see that at a negative, I have no need for tennis, bocci, boat slips, etc. Just looking for peace and tranquility.
I am looking for a much older area I think. I love old houses.....so really not interested in building in newer area.
I am like you the few ammenities would not be an issue with me. I would like the pool in the summer but not much more than that.
What is considered low dues there. What range would it fall in. I have searched different areas but none will give you information on the dues or rules about the estate or communitity.
With being in Tennessee and searching via internet is is more difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 07:17 AM

203 posts, read 1,256,439 times
PA as a state doesnt have alot of gated communities.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:30 AM

487 posts, read 1,375,080 times
I have found the dues to range from $250.00 to $1300.00. Naturally, the higher the HOA dues, the more ammenities you get. If you search on a MLS site and search for land/acreage in a particular community, town, or county, a lot will pop up. Then if you click on detailed information, you can usually see what the HOA dues are. The dues are usually higher for a house/land than for just the lot alone. The dues at Sky View Lake Estates are $300.00 per year for lake, cluhouse & pool. Going back up tomorrow to have another look-see. Also looking at Tanglewood North and Tink-Wig. How does anyone feel about the "security" piece to the ammenities? What exactly is it? Also, a little nervous about leaving a home empty all week and coming up just for weekends and summer vacations. Any problems/issues with that? Thanks!

Old 11-10-2006, 09:41 AM

203 posts, read 1,256,439 times
Ild avoid places with home owner association fees. they are ahrd to sell.

Old 11-10-2006, 07:54 PM

turboredcart: why do you think they are hard to sell. Is it the crazy association rules......

Ifancone: are these areas mostly summer or vacation homes. I am looking for a year round home site.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:42 AM

I believe they are a mixture of year round and vacation homes. I'm told (through this forum) that it's a good idea to have that mix...the year-rounders can keep an eye on your vacation home while you're not there. I'm having a hard time selecting the right community....I don't want to make a mistake!

Old 11-15-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I believe they are a mixture of year round and vacation homes. I'm told (through this forum) that it's a good idea to have that mix...the year-rounders can keep an eye on your vacation home while you're not there. I'm having a hard time selecting the right community....I don't want to make a mistake!
Same here, I like the mixture as well. Would not like to be the lone year rounder.....
I am not in Pa now. Still in TN waiting on my house here to sell. I am relying on this forum for good information. I have not had good luck with realtors in the area. Maybe it is because I can not buy now, just after I sell here.
Thanks for all your help.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:14 PM

Well, I'm with you..I'm not in PA now either. I'm doing my research from Long Island, New York. Have been to the Poconos twice now, and we're sure that we love the area...just trying to pick the right community. I agree, it's hard to find concrete information on specific communities. You have to be determined and keep searching the net. Sky View Lake Estates has their own website. Just google the name and it should pop up. It will give you a feel for what the area is like. Also have spoken to the owner, if you like I'll "private message" the name, address, phone number. I have found this forum to be very helpful. You get the real story from actual residents.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm with you..I'm not in PA now either. I'm doing my research from Long Island, New York. Have been to the Poconos twice now, and we're sure that we love the area...just trying to pick the right community. I agree, it's hard to find concrete information on specific communities. You have to be determined and keep searching the net. Sky View Lake Estates has their own website. Just google the name and it should pop up. It will give you a feel for what the area is like. Also have spoken to the owner, if you like I'll "private message" the name, address, phone number. I have found this forum to be very helpful. You get the real story from actual residents.
I have viewed the website and more sites but,not sure if I would want to live in a community or a small town. I found some cute houses in Pocono Place. I am not sure if I could ever get used to living where an association told you what color you could paint your house. Also I have pets and they have a lot of rules about pets. I am not accustom to living under that type of dictatorship. I have not been to the area but have looked up town (google search) and have found some nice small town close to I-80. I-80 being the interstate highway closest to the area that my daughter lives in. I am just trying to get closer to my daughter that lives in NJ. We all know that it is impossible there.
Thank you so much for all your help. Fell free to private message me with any information in the area.
Also, I have not been able to fine much on Northampton county on this forum. Most like the Pike or Wayne areas. No one seems to like Monroe. Stroudsburg seems to be a beautiful small town. What is it about Monroe that everone does not like.
Thanks again

Old 11-16-2006, 05:58 PM

I believe it's known as a "bedroom" county in that you can live in Monroe and commute to NYC for work. Apparently, this isn't an asset unless you're the one commuting. It seems that the areas adjacent to I80 are getting crowded, overpriced, higher taxes, etc. The taxes are much lower in Pike and Wayne counties. There has also been talk in this forum about the crime rate in Monroe county. I've been in Stroudsberg and it is a little congested. For a comparison, look at ScrantonWilkesBarre's tour of Honesdale on this forum. This will give you a comparison of a town near I80 and and town further north near I84.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania