U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 01:31 PM

14 posts, read 69,335 times

Advertisements

I lived in the Poconos most of my life. I moved away for a job a while back, but am looking to return to PA eventually to be closer to family and friends. The Poconos, while containing many of my friends and my music scene, was an economically depressed landfill full of dropouts and potential Jerry Springer guests; void of good IT jobs, and ideal only for people that work in the city.

I've been around the Lehigh Valley, and Allentown seems more industrious (lots of companies, job opportunities, I just couldn't get a job then).

I'm wondering if the Greater Philadelphia area has more ambitious people (college educated) and good careers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 01:41 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,314,927 times
From what I understand, Philadelphia is one of the top IT spots in the country. If you haven't already, please post in the Lehigh Valley forum for the Allentown area, and in the Philadelphia forum for that area.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:22 PM

19 posts, read 55,248 times
Perhaps you would consider taking a State Civil-Service exam. There are numerous openings in IT throughout the state, and while you might start at a lower pay-scale than you desire and feel you are worth, once you are in, countless opportunities are available.

You can promote every six months if you are competent and able to interview effectively.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:15 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,563,910 times
The Philadelphia region also has the 2nd or 3rd largest largest concentration of pharma jobs in the county, if I'm not mistaken.

I don't think anyone could refute that the Philadelphia region has far and away the largest concentration of and most college educated people, and wealth, and good jobs, in the state. The reason I say "region" is because many parts of the city itself are unfortunately not doing so well, but I think everyone already knows that.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:35 PM

5,495 posts, read 8,599,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post

I'm wondering if the Greater Philadelphia area has more ambitious people (college educated) and good careers.
For sure. Although Philadelphia city proper has relatively low rates of educational attainment for a large city, the surrounding suburbs have very high rates of higher educational attainment -- especially on the Main Line -- due in no small part to the prominence of high-ranking colleges and universities in the area.

As for the IT job market, the Philly metro has one of the Top 10 tech markets in the country. Here is a good article from this past Fall explaining the job atmosphere:

Dice.com Technology Job Market- Philadelphia, PA Q3 2007

Last edited by Duderino; 01-11-2008 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-11-2008, 02:54 PM

20 posts, read 99,199 times
Default Check Out Bucks County

Philly and the burbs has an absolutely amazing IT sector, I would say it probably rivals the Silicon Valley. Alot of jobs in the Main Line, Philadelphia, and Allentown.

Bucks County has some of the best schools in the region.

We're in Quakertown in one of the newer communities. Every single one of my neighbors in the development - every one I've met - has a college degree. Almost every one is in some type of professional occupation. It's an amazing environment to raise children, great parents, great influences. Geographically we're in the middle of the job hotspots (Philly, Main Line, Allentown, Northeast, even Wilmington) Have worked in all those areas.

Call a recruiter Matt - the opportunities and people you're looking for are here!

Old 01-11-2008, 04:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 13,265,598 times
Chester County and Montgomery County ranked as the 19th and 30th wealthiest counties in the usa. If you took out the NYC and DC suburban counties then Chester County would be in the top 5,Montgomery County in the top 15.Its just a matter of time before Bucks County gets into the act as well.

If you are looking for tech/pharma jobs take a ride up 202 from Wilmington De to Princeton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania