Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:18 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,204,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baal View Post
Hello-

I am interested in moving to PA too.

At this time, I'm not sure where.

I plan to keep my job in Baltimore, but plan to move to a less stressful place.
You might want to check out Shrewsbury, which is located near the first exit north of the Mason-Dixon Line on Interstate 83 (Exit 4). That area, particularly near the interchange, has really boomed in the last 10 years as many, many ex-Maryland residents move to someplace cheaper and with a lot fewer land use restrictions (which is a double-edged sword for both Maryland and Pennsylvania). The area has a small town/suburban feel, depending on where you live. You'd be within 40 miles of downtown Baltimore and have a straight shot down I-83.

If you want to live closer to a city or large town, try some of the suburbs south of York. Red Lion is a nice town that is relatively large and fairly close to I-83, southeast of York. The previously mentioned Hanover (a larger town than Red Lion) is also a reasonable possibility. The negative with Hanover is you'd need to use PA 194/MD 30, I-795, and either I-83 or US 40 to get to Baltimore, so although Hanover is closer to Baltimore than York is, the York/Baltimore drive is probably a little quicker than the Hanover/Baltimore drive (provided you don't work in Owings Mills or the west side of the Baltimore Beltway). Honestly, if you are looking more seriously at Hanover than at the York area (city + suburbs), I'd suggest looking at Westminster before you look at Hanover just because Westminster is closer to Baltimore than Hanover is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 07:54 AM

7 posts, read 19,646 times
i'll add hanover to the list of places to check out...

Old 01-28-2008, 01:49 PM

96 posts, read 369,877 times
The wife and I lived in a development called Kendale Oaks, which is located in Lower Paxton township. We had a Harrisburg mailing address, but we were closer to the Hummelstown/Hershey area more than the Harrisburg City area. That's kind of how the Central PA area is...nice, small communities 15 minutes outside of the major cities. But you are always driving (sometimes walking) distance to where you need to be. We're living in TX now and we wouldn't hesitate to come back to Central PA. We'd probably pick the Hershey area because of having all of friends in that area and because of the school district.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:27 AM

4 posts, read 10,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
You might want to check out Shrewsbury, which is located near the first exit north of the Mason-Dixon Line on Interstate 83 (Exit 4). That area, particularly near the interchange, has really boomed in the last 10 years as many, many ex-Maryland residents move to someplace cheaper and with a lot fewer land use restrictions (which is a double-edged sword for both Maryland and Pennsylvania). The area has a small town/suburban feel, depending on where you live. You'd be within 40 miles of downtown Baltimore and have a straight shot down I-83.
Thanks for the info.

I heard a few good things about Shrewsbury and Red Lion. I will check them both out I am really looking forward to the move.

Now I just need to find a realtor.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:56 PM

35 posts, read 182,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baal View Post
Thanks for the info.

I heard a few good things about Shrewsbury and Red Lion. I will check them both out I am really looking forward to the move.

Now I just need to find a realtor.
stay AWAY from shrewsbury and york and hanover. shrewsbury, for being so small is infested with white trash and drugs. hanover is larger but also infested with drugs and white trash trying to form gangs. york is just plan-old dangerous.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:48 AM

4 posts, read 10,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJtheman07 View Post
stay AWAY from shrewsbury and york and hanover. shrewsbury, for being so small is infested with white trash and drugs. hanover is larger but also infested with drugs and white trash trying to form gangs. york is just plan-old dangerous.
York is dangerous?? Do you care to elaborate?

I'm from Baltimore. Is it much worse than that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania