Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:22 PM

30 posts, read 81,377 times

Advertisements

me and my wife are lookin at moving to eastern pa and have narrowed down the counties but we need help determining which counties are the best and which are the worst...any info if helpful but things such as taxes,crime,demographics,and schools is helpful...the following counties are the ones we are lookin at moving to.
1.snyder
2.wayne
3.luzerne
4.bradford
5.northumberland
6.carbon
7.berks
8.lackawanna
9.york
10.schuylkill
11.lycoming
12.tioga

if there are other counties you would reccommend please let me know thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 06:31 AM

203 posts, read 1,256,439 times
best consider employment,.........

Old 11-09-2006, 06:47 AM

northern tier counties are higher elevations. in general- anything north of i80. jenny and i looked at 9 acreas in tioga. it had no cable- for DSL, much of the drive niether one of our cell phones got reception.

i did notice that if a person broke down- you would be helped. the people there are quite speacial.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:00 AM

personally ild avoid york- due to protests, ild void poconos due to the sudden infustructure that teh newbies demanded to be built to be like the place they once lived.

central PA has a 20 yr plan. we know growth is coming-and we are planning so as to control it- and it not controlling us.

I am quite familliar with Snyder, Union, Northumberl;and counties. winters are 10 degres warmer andless snow as it is a valley.

generally speaking harrisburg metro has grown south, east and west. only one direction left-- north.

i like where i live- but let me say this. unless one went to high school here- you will never ever be in the "in" crowd. all my friends are folks that came from other places.

a small town with a college is less rednecked.

in a small town always be mindfull what you say in public- a cousin or neighbor could be with in earshot. grudges can go on 15 years. ive seen it.

my maternal grandmother is one of 10 children. so think of how many cousins that could blab back to me what they heard.

if you step on toes- you can be blacklisted from your occupation. so if you are coming from teh big city- hold your tongue!! things work abit differently in small town usa. bold boastfullness, throwing a tantroom wont get you anywhere in these parts. always use your best manners. females maiden names could be the sister or daughter of your bosses!

Chief Shikellamy held teh peace of 6 nations at Sunbury. All were welcome to live in harmany. his spirit lives on.

ill need more info to further advise you.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:16 PM

what protest are you talking about in york county? and the only other info i can give is how are the home prices and how much is rent? how are the schools,is it a good place to raise children?

Old 11-10-2006, 08:56 AM

hazelton has racial issues now due to illegal immigration. aside from that it always snows there.

york has had its share of tensions as well.

you can get a most home in small town pa - 30k-70k.

it is cheaper to own then to rent.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:59 AM

I live in Snyder. The taxes are abit higher- but the schools are better- northumberland is good too- but if schools are important to you, then stick to snyder.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:09 AM

ok thanks, are there any of those counties that are real bad? besides the racial tension....

Old 11-10-2006, 12:46 PM

only the town of Shamokin in northumberland county.

it is white trash, and i suppose it is ok- for white persons.

a person of color will have a hard time in that town.

the rest of the county and snyder county- is more tolerant. Sunbury itself can have some minor issues-

folks of color that come to the area- blend in with the locals. if they bring city ways to the town- well- a person any color- they are shown the door.

law and order is very strict here.

most folks mind their own business and go about life. for them, they do ok.

a good example would be bucknell students. wild drunken street parties that turn into a melee= well daddio might have clout in NJ- but the law is the law here. they were shocked that a phone call could not make charges go away.
they tried saying police brutality in the newspaper. no one locally believed that. they were college kids out of control- got wrote up-

so whatever your walk of life is- this is what is expected here. a bad azz tuff man or woman- will quickly be shown the courtroom. fines are stiff and the law doesnt play games here.

in terms of crime- it doesnt get better then this area.

:-)

Old 11-11-2006, 07:38 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboredcart View Post

the rest of the county and snyder county- is more tolerant. Sunbury itself can have some minor issues-

folks of color that come to the area- blend in with the locals. if they bring city ways to the town- well- a person any color- they are shown the door.

law and order is very strict here.

most folks mind their own business and go about life. for them, they do ok.

a good example would be bucknell students. wild drunken street parties that turn into a melee= well daddio might have clout in NJ- but the law is the law here. they were shocked that a phone call could not make charges go away.
they tried saying police brutality in the newspaper. no one locally believed that. they were college kids out of control- got wrote up-

so whatever your walk of life is- this is what is expected here. a bad azz tuff man or woman- will quickly be shown the courtroom. fines are stiff and the law doesnt play games here.

in terms of crime- it doesnt get better then this area.

:-)
heh-heh...you pretty well nailed it.

I moved to Snyder county from Union county about 20 years ago.

What I have found in Snyder county is that people are a bit unfriendly and for some odd reason have superiority complexes. I don't get it. I grew up in the snob town of Lewisburg and people were actually friendlier there. But, I've adapted and I'm happy living in Snyder county.

Your Bucknell comments are right on. I used to see them get away with everything. I used to see them drive the wrong way on streets and the cops would just look at them, but a local the same age would have the book thrown at them. They could get away with everything and anything. I was glad to see they were finally held responsible for their actions a few years ago with the riot on S.6th st.

The crime has risen substantially in Sunbury and Selinsgrove and that's why Selinsgrove wants to hire more cops.

Shamokin is Shamokin. For the most part, I have found the folks from the coal regions to be friendly and genuine but I wouldn't want to live there.

I suggest the OP consider this area. It's changing and becoming over-commercialized, but it's still a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania