Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2006, 07:15 AM

203 posts, read 1,256,388 times

Advertisements

http://www.monolithicmarketplace.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?keywords=info&search=action (broken link)

I am considering formimng a planned community. Using high teck and nature. I wanted to pick up some acreage and build on it... not a coookie cutter subdivision, but state of teh art homes that incorporate solar, wind, and cutting edge technology into the design.

these exist right not if you have big bucks. but ild like to do this without the huge cost.

a smart community.

many of these communities are in western states...

wouldnt it be nice to leisurely set on front porch swing and greet passerbys?

a community build to serve us, a social creature, not teh car culture. many nighborhood try to ride a bike and get run over.

there has to be more to life then malls and traffic jams my friends.

pls email me or reply here with ANY thoughts. good bad or ugly.

ild like to blend the socail glue of yesderyear with the sheik high teck wonders of the future.

roger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 08:47 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,956 times
Great idea Roger....I am very interested, been thinking of a community like that myself for a while now. Solar + technology can go a long way...!!!!

Old 11-09-2006, 10:44 AM

it seems there could be a way to do it. i am trying to familliarize myself with the area in that neck of the woods. how would you start such a project?

a wind-solar hybrid system would probaly be the way to go.

PA has strict perk-sewer laws.

there must be 1001 ways to do this. did you know 1 acre of a specialty crop can count as a farm? farms get perks..

an acrea could be a "wetland".

we are in teh age of the multinational corporation vs average joe. while wall street might like todays world, soemthing is lacking that we once had.

if a group of 2-8 people got together- each with various talents or contributions- it could be a better journey then the commercialized race to teh mall to get stuff and stuff and stuff.

when i mention acreage= i dont mean 20 acreas of grass to mow. ground cover and specialty plants can dot the landscape. hardwood trees, herbs, fruits, specialty crops.

teh cookie cutter subdivision is ok-- but by now it is so outdated.

as teh saying goes work smarter not harder.
our homes/environment/neighborhood could do so as well.

Roger

Old 11-09-2006, 11:34 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
I don't want to be mean, but it is hard to take you seriously about designing this state of the art community, because you have so many typos in your post.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:36 PM

Dear Christina,

I understand how you and others come to this conclusion. I am retired, with some injuries, one of which is bilateral carpal tunnel. My body is shot- but my brain is decent.

A good idea will stand on its own weight.

Google "turboredcart", observe as much as you can bear.

Behind this screen is a real person, be it good bad or ugly.

Western society has come to glorify medicraty.

I think outside the box. Quite possibly I dont belong on this planet.

Consider the larger picture. My spelling and grammar is atrocious. agreed.

Anyhow- google me.

Roger

Old 11-09-2006, 05:43 PM

Maybe it is a dumb idea.

It [just] seems like there is something lacking in 2006 culture.

Oh well. No one escapes the earth alive.... dare to dream. The journey and all.

I thought [20 years ago] of being an urban pioneer. I bought a 3 unit on Chicagos northside. Well it did not work out. Today it is prime real estate.

I do feel the field of gerentology has a long way to go.

We can build amazing bombs...yet e-coli ends up in the spinache.

In the 80s solar was declared a failed idea.

I give the EV1 protestors credit. GM destroyed those electric cars at all costs.

Take a look at tv programming. We consume that garbage. We eat over processed foods. We accept too little...

Incidently- I have 3 siblings- they work 80 hours a week. The BANK owns their house, car, and you could almost say their clothes.

We are not basking in freedom. We are in a mad rush for gluttony, stuck in traffic, and bow before the neon gods each day. [NBC,CBS,FOX, ect]

Just as the native Americans traded some beeds for manhatten, we traded teck stuff in a simmilliar manner.

I still thin there has to be a better way. As for singlehandedly being capable of producing it- I cant do that.

I admire the man that stood the row of tanks at tieneeman square.

Too bad I couldnt meet him.

Regards from central PA.

Roger

Old 11-11-2006, 09:43 AM

414 posts, read 1,779,578 times
Actually, I've read of one or more groups of professional people (now retired) who have established 'communes' of sorts in smallish clusters of 8-20 residences in order to have compatibility, and, of course, living that reflects their age and needs, financially, too...medical, low noise, while being near folks with similar interests...it might seem somewhat exclusive, but it does serve many purposes.....so more power to 'em and you....

A friend of mine has a smallish parcel in a historic setting in NW Florida. I encouraged him to look into doing something like this, there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: