Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 11,082 times

Advertisements

My family of 5 will be relocating to Altoona for my husbands job. I have been to a couple other sites and frankly I am a bit scared now. I hear there is a lot of violence and drugs.

So what I was wanting to know was about the schools. What are some of the better/safer public schools? My oldest is in 2nd grade and my middle will be going to kindergarten next year.

What is the best area to move into and which areas should I avoid. Our buget for renting would be about $600 a month, plus we have a cat. We do not have to live in town, which from what I have read, is not that pleasant, but somewhere close. Where can I find good listings of rentals? I looked at the Altoona Mirror online, but there was not a whole lost posted there.

We currently live in Indiana PA and I like it here, pretty quiet, so this, if Altoona is like what I have read, will be quite different.

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 15,670 times
I wish you luck in finding a quality apartment in the area for $600/mo or less. This isn't to say that it can't be done, but you may want to expand your search and allow for some commuting.

As for public schools, I encourage you to look at the Hollidaysburg Area School District, as apposed to Altoona Area. The elementary schools in Altoona are fairly well run; however, overcrowding in the middle school and high school create less than ideal conditions for many students.

The area I most suggest you avoid is that anywhere within half-a-mile of the hospital. There aren't a particularly large number of violent crimes in Altoona as compared to a city of its size; however, there is a fairly sizeable heroin and cocaine problem in the younger population, especially in the area I mentioned above.

Good luck with the move, and I hope this helps.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,137,024 times
Im guessing you can find an apartment no less than $600.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 5,528 times
Default Altoona

Hollidaysburg School District is the way to go. 10 min from Altoona.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:04 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,690 times
Why do people always frown on moving to the city and encourage people to move to the suburbs and encourage sprawl? I've only passed through Altoona in the past, but from I had seen, it appeared to be a nice city with a really nice setting surrounded by mountains. People get this misconception that the cities are bad, and that is what contributes to blight and the downfall of our cities. More people need to move INTO the cities and revitalize them, and discourage senseless sprawl...especially now that gas is over $3 a gallon, you would think people would rather live in a city, where they will be less dependent on their cars. I also find the sense of community with homes with front porches, smaller neighborhood schools, etc, to be a much better setting than bland, sterile suburbia.

Crime also exists in the suburbs....if you think that drug addicts only live in the city and in the poorer areas, you are wrong. Drugs are everywhere, no matter if you live in the city or in a ritzy cul-de-sac in the suburbs or even in the rural areas.

Also, architecture tends to be nicer in the city.

Like I said, I don't know much about Altoona, but it looks to me like a city worth saving, and people should be encouraging people to stay and to move into the city.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 11,082 times
It seems as through Craig's list is probably the best place for me to find a place to rent. And most have been in my price range for houses. And I have thought about renting in town even though I have heard it can be ruff, just to show maybe a nice family can live there and maybe more would follow and move the druggies out. But I am not willing to put my children's safety and well being at risk. Know what I mean?

Hollidaysburg was a place I was looking into, I have heard nothing but good things about it. I have heard good things about Altoona too, but more bad then good. I guess there are specific streets that you should stay away from? I have also read that Wright Elementary School is not that great of school.

Well we will not be moving till June, so I guess I have sometime to gather more information. Thank you all so much and please if anyone has anymore opinions or can offer any help at all I really do appreciate it!!!!!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof3PA View Post
And I have thought about renting in town even though I have heard it can be ruff, just to show maybe a nice family can live there and maybe more would follow and move the druggies out. But I am not willing to put my children's safety and well being at risk. it!!!!!
When people say Altoona is rough, I'm going to guess that its about the same level of "roughness" as Scranton or Wilkes-Barre. Meaning that, while there maybe a few bad sections, its not exactly West Philly or anything.

Living in Scranton, I've never had a crime committed against me, I've never had anything vandalized or stolen, and I've never witnessed any drug deals, muggings, murders, etc. Although I did have my car vandalized and robbed once....in one of our supposedly safe suburbs. I think the stories about more crime in the cities, especially smaller cities like Scranton, Altoona, Erie, etc, are myths. There may be more crime in some cities, especially bigger ones like Philadelphia....but most mid-sized PA cities are safe for the most part.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:47 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,517 times
I lived in Altoona for about 10 years and it is going downhill. So much so that my parents moved to Bellwood b/c the schools were getting bad in Altoona. (I graduated from Altoona High about 10 years ago...wasn't that bad then, but you could see it happening)
Anyway, I would suggest Bellwood or Hollidaysburg for schools. We looked at Hollidaysburg, but chose Bellwood as we liked that small town feel. Both towns are about 15 minutes from Altoona.
If you MUST live in Altoona, I would suggest 16602 zip...there are some nice parts. Stay away from Juniata Altoona...another nice area is around the Penn State Altoona campus.
good luck.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:25 AM

What had gotten bad about Altoona and the schools? Unfortunately, sometimes people equate a rise in minority population to mean that an area is getting "bad," which I don't agree with. I see it here in Scranton...if a section of town all of a sudden has some black people or Hispanics, people assume that its going downhill...which is false if you check the crime stats.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:20 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
What had gotten bad about Altoona and the schools? Unfortunately, sometimes people equate a rise in minority population to mean that an area is getting "bad," which I don't agree with. I see it here in Scranton...if a section of town all of a sudden has some black people or Hispanics, people assume that its going downhill...which is false if you check the crime stats.
i don't know about the minority rise, I just know weapons and drugs in the school system are there now. When I was there in school we had a "bring your gun to school day" and "hit lists" rumored. Now it is more than that-it is real. Drugs were there when I was, but not like this.
The main problem with Altoona in general is the welfare system. has somethng to do with they don't have tight enough rules/restrictions/conditions and it is VERY easy to get money there...so some "rougher" individuals have found out and are moving in. The city is TRYING to fix the drug/crime problem but it is growing too fast. They have to fix it at the core first, and I just don't know if I see that happening anytime soon.
also, jobs are not great there. At least not a lot of white collar jobs. BUT, there are TONS of places to eat, lol! (My husband and I laugh all the time about how many places there are to eat and not a lot of money in the area)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania