Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 02:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
But the Coal Company still owns below.
The chances of any coal mining activity is about none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I know it's not a true portion of the coal region,
I guess it depends on how you want to define it but it's most certainly a part of the coal boom. There is four major anthracite fields, the coal even has different characteristics. Pottsville sits directly over the center of the southern field. WB/Scranton sits over the Northern field.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:42 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,036,357 times
Quote:
I know it's not a true portion of the coal region, but I've seen grand houses in Pottsville. This is a good example. Something like this would sell for four times as much in Pittsburgh easily.

This one in Frackville is a bit remuddled, but it still has lots of charm.
That's beautiful, but personally way too big for me. I love the modest little row houses like this.

Personally, I find the small coal towns charming and picturesque, and wonderfully urban in character. I like small cities, but the young people who are attracted to those kinds of neighborhoods tend to prefer large cities where there is more going on. Small towns are a tough sell for people my age. The cool old row houses are probably not the issue.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 06-11-2015 at 08:59 PM..

Old 06-12-2015, 07:13 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
That's beautiful, but personally way too big for me. I love the modest little row houses like this.
This house and this house are nice midpoints in terms of price and character. Kitchens and bathrooms have been remuddled, but otherwise they look pretty intact, and are quite affordable.

On the other hand, there are several mansions which were converted into apartments for sale at a steal in Pottsville. Check out this and this. I can only imagine what they'd go for in Allegheny West.

I'd also buy this in a hot minute.

I do love modest housing, although now that I'm a family man, we don't really fit in one of those 12-foot wide rowhouses any longer. The issue for me though is it's rare that you see one of those size rowhouses with reasonably intact interiors.

Quote:
Personally, I find the small coal towns charming and picturesque, and wonderfully urban in character. I like small cities, but the young people who are attracted to those kinds of neighborhoods tend to prefer large cities where there is more going on. Small towns are a tough sell for people my age. The cool old row houses are probably not the issue.
Small towns are not a hard sell in and of themselves I think. Plenty of spend their college years in what are essentially small towns, and if the university is large enough, it generates enough commercial traffic that the downtown has everything you need in terms of walkable life. I think more young people would consider walkable small towns if there were jobs available and was at least a modicum of social activity (e.g., a handful of decent bars and restaurants).

That said, I agree that in general the walkable small town thing is more appealing to people with urban proclivities as they get older. It seems these towns, where they exist and have been "gentrified" mostly attract transplants in their 30s and up. Still, the "gentrified" versions of these towns tend to be expensive considering the job market, because they attract so many retirees and older people who can "work from anywhere."

Old 06-12-2015, 10:57 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm, not aware of row houses that look like that in our area, 2 stories 1000/1400 +/- sq ft. is typical row or coal home. Many of the the homes that were owned by coal companies are actually individual but it's the same house on the entire block. They are very basic and sell for 25K to 50K.
Interestingly, the vast majority of coal company owners lived in Philadelphia.

The one problem I have with Eckley Miner's Village is there is an "company owner's house" at the far end of the village a mile away from the entrance gate. This is a bit deceiving, it was actually only a "summer cottage" for the mine owner's family (it was still about 2 1/2 stories with about 14 rooms, a grand staircase and quarters for live in servants) to use in the warmest months to get away from the city.

Coal companies sent "recruiters" to the docks in Philly to sign up laborers in the latter quarter of the 19th Century when Eastern and Southern European countries (Slavic, Polish, Ukrainian, Italian, etc.) to replace the "troublesome" and "insubordinate" original English, Irish, and Welsh miners.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:03 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
I know it's not a true portion of the coal region, but I've seen grand houses in Pottsville. This is a good example. Something like this would sell for four times as much in Pittsburgh easily.
Oh, I like that one! I could live in such a house ... it's slightly smaller than my semi-detached 120 year old Victorian "Twin" townhouse - mine has 6 bedrooms and 2990 sf. but it has a lot of character and charm.

When I took one of my many "Anthracite Heritage Motor Trips" just a couple of weeks ago I spent some time in Pottsville. This is not a little town but a proper small city with many amenities such as a good selection of restaurants and drinking establishments. Pottsville struck me as a clean and tidy town - saw no litter or graffiti and it seemed well maintained. It doesn't hurt that it's the home of Yeungling!

Old 06-12-2015, 07:38 PM

I just adore small houses. My current house is 1500 sq ft., and it feels huge to me. My old house was an 800 sq ft rowhouse and it was just right. I don't know what to do with all of the rooms, as a single person living alone. Right now, I have the sitting room set up as a TV room, the living room for social occasions, the dining room for formal eating occasions, one bedroom as an office, and one bedroom for guests. And all of that is just crazy because who needs separate rooms for all of those things? lol

Old 06-12-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Oh, I like that one! I could live in such a house ... it's slightly smaller than my semi-detached 120 year old Victorian "Twin" townhouse - mine has 6 bedrooms and 2990 sf. but it has a lot of character and charm.

When I took one of my many "Anthracite Heritage Motor Trips" just a couple of weeks ago I spent some time in Pottsville. This is not a little town but a proper small city with many amenities such as a good selection of restaurants and drinking establishments. Pottsville struck me as a clean and tidy town - saw no litter or graffiti and it seemed well maintained. It doesn't hurt that it's the home of Yeungling!
I just love Pottsville. I can't wait to visit the other towns in the coal region. I'm sure they are all quite beautiful in their own way. I am always struck by the better conditions of eastern PA small cities and towns compared to the dilapidated conditions of many western PA towns... (Chester excluded). Places like Reading, Lebanon, York, etc. are really not blighted compared to the level of blight and abandonment you see in Western PA towns like McKeesport, New Castle, New Kensington, Aliquippa, etc.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:24 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
I just love Pottsville. I can't wait to visit the other towns in the coal region. I'm sure they are all quite beautiful in their own way. I am always struck by the better conditions of eastern PA small cities and towns compared to the dilapidated conditions of many western PA towns... (Chester excluded). Places like Reading, Lebanon, York, etc. are really not blighted compared to the level of blight and abandonment you see in Western PA towns like McKeesport, New Castle, New Kensington, Aliquippa, etc.
If you're ever near Ashland, go and see the Mother statue. Whistler's Mother statue, Ashland, Pennsylvania There's always something interesting around the corner.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Interestingly, the vast majority of coal company owners lived in Philadelphia.

The one problem I have with Eckley Miner's Village is there is an "company owner's house" at the far end of the village a mile away from the entrance gate. This is a bit deceiving, it was actually only a "summer cottage" for the mine owner's family (it was still about 2 1/2 stories with about 14 rooms, a grand staircase and quarters for live in servants) to use in the warmest months to get away from the city.
One thing to keep in mind is the WB/Scranton area isn't exactly what most people would have in their mind when they think of a coal area, there isn't any dueling banjos here. Scranton was one of the fist cities in the country with electric and the first electric trolleys. Towns like West Pittston where I grew up weren't exaclty a bunch of a coal shacks. During a renovation we found gas pipes in the walls and that particular house was built in the very early part of the last century. You can take virtual walk up Susquehanna ave or some of the other streets. This is where the very well to do people many of whom were involved in mining lived.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3301...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania