Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:30 AM

14 posts, read 65,447 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to New Hope this fall and just want to know things in general that the official websites don't mention.
I am assuming the crime rate is low as that is a concern. I now live in the New York Catskill mountains but do like the rolling farmlands and hope that it does have a rural country feel in the surrounding areas.
Any info is appreciated....thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 07:56 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Floods. That beautiful, scenic river runs over its banks now and then. Delaware River - Flood Index

Tourists. It's a very popular destination. People visit daily from spring through through fall (maybe every day) and almost every weekend of the year. That's great if you're involved with retail, restaurants. If you're a Monday to Friday who just wants to leave town on Saturday, it's a pain in the neck.

You can just hear that train whistle for miles.. and miles. I do love the train, but New Hope & Ivyland Railroad, New Hope, PA, USA

*I do not, nor have I ever lived there* I've visited many times and have stayed over. A friend worked there one summer.

Hopefully someone who lives there will chime in about things like plumbing anomalies.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:15 AM

634 posts, read 1,164,748 times
Check the FEMA maps and avoid structures on the flood plain. Also, traffic is an issue since the area has become suburbanized.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 15,585 times
I lived there and loved it! It is a beautiful part of Bucks County but very different at the same time. Its a very hip town with many different types of people. The art deco and hippie fun loving mankind I quess you could say with money and there is money to be made there also. Fashion is high on the list but at the same time dressing cool is too. We live there for 4.5 years and had a child living there and it was a real blast. The resturants are excellent and so relaxing to say the least. And not to forget the stores and the home fronts and the winding roads and county sides right out side of new hope its self. If I were you and this sounds good to you then go for it you only live once, We rent from a actor and live in a beautiful apt right off the river and never had or heard of any water dsituation happening. Good luck my friend and lucky u :0)

Old 12-26-2011, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 23,790 times
Hi, you will love new hope if you want small, private village and travel at least 10 miles to stores---good luck

Old 12-26-2011, 11:16 AM

3 posts, read 23,790 times
There are 2 new hopes so you will get conflicting advice. Jd

Old 12-26-2011, 08:49 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean Dull View Post
There are 2 new hopes so you will get conflicting advice. Jd
Can you elaborate please, where is the second one?

Edit to say: I believe the info above is incorrect. Per the USGS place names database, there is only one place in the state named New Hope. There are a few churches in the western part of the state with "New Hope" in the name, but no other villages, mountains, valleys, or populated places. The one place named New Hope is in Bucks County.

See USGS GIS results: http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispub...00687::::::YES

Last edited by PeeAye Native; 12-26-2011 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: Edit to say/USGS GIS results

Old 12-26-2011, 09:16 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Whenever I have been in New Hope for the day it has been choked with traffic, both pedestrian and cars. However I haven't lived there 24/7. It is a very sophisticated , artsy and pretty little town with many expats from Philly and NY..... and I'll bet it's expensive too. I have always thought of it as the Laguna Beach (or La Jolla) of the east coast.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:43 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
The western/ northwestern sections of Bucks county still has some farmland so it won't be too long a long drive if you want to get out and see some rolling farmland. Traffic will be bad and the drivers worse.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:50 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,617 times
For a ride through some pretty farmland filled with old stone homes, just take North Main St. out of town, which should take all of 2 minutes, unless you hit a red light. It's a small town, after all. Route 202 out of town towards Doylestown is the busier road, and naturally has more traffic and development. As a word to the wise, I use Mechanicsville Rd. to reach New Hope from D'town, pretty pretty drive, and lots less traffic. Less traffic on most days except Tuesday, when Rice's Market is open. Rice's is an outdoor flea market.

New Hope's sister city is Lambertville, NJ, which is just a pleasant walk across the bridge which crosses the Delaware River. The canal walk is very nice. Lots of yummy places to eat in both towns. In fact, Central Bucks has lots of hidden and some not so hidden gems.

The region draws a good share of art/theater folk from the NYC and Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania